What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: England v Australia at Lord's on Sep 5, 2015

undertaker

Coach
Out obstructing the field

Correct decision. Shut up ya wannabe Pom, Morgan. Stokes was well out of his crease, knew he couldnt get back in the crease and used his hand to stop the run out

Inzamam Ul Haq did the same thing nearly ten years ago, but used his bat instead of his hand

undertaker

Coach
It wasn't a reflex action of him trying to ground himself, he deliberately dangled the hand infront of the stumps with the intention of trying to stop the ball hitting the stumps. 3rd umpire got that 100% correct.

OT, Maxwell is turning into a handy ODI all rounder. His bowling has improved a hell of a lot and can be a future Andrew Symonds

Timbo

Staff member
I love it how they keep saying 'he was trying to defend himself'.

It was going to miss him by a f**king metre, what was he trying to defend?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Just saw the footage, he stuck his arm out while he was at least a metre out of his ground. Correct decision, after we appealed the umps had no other choice. Good to see our new captain did.

JJ

Immortal
I'm kind of 50:50 on that one - in slow motion definitely looked out, but initially I imagine he was trying to protect himself - he moved his body away which exacerbated it...

No drama with the call, no drama if they said not out - don't think slow motion helps in cases like that - no injustice done

TheParraboy

Staff member
agree with JJ, 50/50 call for mine as well

Was an instinct reaction from Stokes from a ball thrown at him (the stumps) by a fast bowler from 10-12 metres away. Wether it was instinct to cover the stumps or cover himself or a bit of both only one person can tell, not sure he will disclose the honest reason to the general puplic.

Eelectrica

Referee
Looking at the replay the umpire had no choice but to give him out.

Wouldn't have minded Smith taking the high road and calling him back though. Perhaps if he had a few more wins under his belt as captain he would have.

Bazal

Post Whore
On Stokes, I don't think he "deliberately" blocked the ball in that I don't think he made a conscious decision to do so, I think it was instinctive and he probably was trying to protect himself first and foremost. But you can't do that as a batsman. You can't block the ball with your hand. Unfortunately for Stokes thats really all there is to it. Shit of a way to get out though.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
On Stokes, I don't think he "deliberately" blocked the ball in that I don't think he made a conscious decision to do so, I think it was instinctive and he probably was trying to protect himself first and foremost. But you can't do that as a batsman. You can't block the ball with your hand. Unfortunately for Stokes thats really all there is to it. Shit of a way to get out though.

exactly

unfortunate and probabaly trying to protect himself instinctively but technically out, you just cant do that

and why the f**k is Watson batting above Marsh ??

I guess now that Warner is gone we'll see Watson open which is a huge step backwards, we should be blooding some young bloke instead of Watson or recalling Darsh