2nd Test: England v India at Lords Aug 9-13 2018

Discussion in 'International Game Day' started by TheParraboy, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

the rat fails and India fails

2. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Well, looks like we may not need that 6th day,

nor a 5th day if poms crumble as well...

3. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Come on lads, that was Haynetrain level trolling! Have some dignity...

Tommy Smith likes this.
  4. Eelectrica

Eelectrica Coach

What I was going to say earlier was that if they ever go to 4 day test matches, they'd need a 5th day reserve in case of bad weather. I'm happy enough for 5 day games to not have an extra though.

Looks like this game will only last 3 days though. Could still be a tight finish despite England knocking India over cheaply. England don't want to be chasing much more than 150 in the 4th.

5. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

England would like to not have to bat a second time, tbh. Dunno what the forecast is but if it's bright and sunny then batting will be totally different tonight. The wicket will still be a bit lively from all the moisture so the Poms will want to survive that and do their best to get a 250 plus lead if possible.

Of course if it's still grey and damp we might have the kind of Test match where 180 is a winning total.

6. AlwaysGreen

AlwaysGreen Immortal

England 3/77 young Pope a breezy 28

7. Eelectrica

Eelectrica Coach

4/89 now with Root out.
    England will be disappointed if they can't get at a hundred run lead.

8. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Buttler's gone now. Who burned their reviews? I mean I think Buttler would stay out anyway but to have zero reviews by the fall of the fourth wicket is poor IMO

9. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

Woakes, the greatest odi 8 to touch a bat is batting in the Dujon famous 7 position here, but still looking better than sandpaper or Joe Root to Warner or his fist.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  10. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

Woakes with a 50 and the wicket of Kohli - greatest allrounder since Mutch Marsh.

11. TheParraboy

TheParraboy Moderator Staff Member

Come on man , he was batting at no7. :smiley:

Team India in a world of pain. Something similar to what we will be experiencing v Pakistan in October

Woakes 120no, Curran 22no
    Lead of 250

They would like another 100 if they can get it.

12. Eelectrica

Eelectrica Coach

Kholi will need one hell of an Indian rain dance to get out of this without a loss.

13. hineyrulz

hineyrulz Post Whore

lol @ team India.

jargan83 and Tommy Smith like this.
  14. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

With the weather predicted to be bad, it wouldn't be so bad for England to be trundled out early. India will be playing for a draw. England has a 250 run lead already.

So I'd like to see some good old fashioned slogging from England when play resumes on time - or if it rains for a while then just declare.

Hit out or get out, and get the result. I don't think England needs more than 50 more runs in this innings. Pujara is going to block and Dhawan is dropped, so that only leaves Rahul, Kohli and Pandya with a higher gear, but Kohli will play it slow until the tail is in.

2 rainy days ahead, England should be more focused on winning this game with the bad weather around than worrying about whether they will need to bat twice or not. That said, both Woakes and Curran do have the ability to hit and clear boundaries frequently, and really demolish any bowler, so you may get your 100 runs, but if so I hope they do it in much less than a session.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  15. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Lol @ away teams.

Test cricket is f**ked atm.

India need dust bowls.
    Australia need roads.
    England need the ball to hoop.

The Saffas are probably the only team that can reliably win on two or more of the major away tours.

16. Twizzle

Twizzle Administrator Staff Member

Woakes deserves a promotion to no 8

jargan83 and ANTiLAG like this.
  17. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

He will probably get it if Ben Stokes is back next game to be fair :p

18. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

Saffas are as incompetent as Eng and Aus in Asia now. They've lost their Asia mojo post ABdV and with Amla on the decline despite Maharj's development as a spinner.

TheParraboy likes this.
  19. Tommy Smith

Tommy Smith Coach

Agreed.

That's why I said "two of the three major tours" :D Referring to Aus and England.

20. ANTiLAG

ANTiLAG First Grade

Yeah - I thought you were talking of the money tours as "major" tours, which is totally disrespectful to SA cricket talents, but you somehow omitted that 5th placed England (like is 5th out of 9 teams incl WI and Bangladesh seriously still "major" but for pounds sterling?) beat Safrica home and away of late, so two is being generous to a team that is consistently getting weaker as its batsmen ages (to clarify - that's SA, Eng just have Root, Cook and 3 spuds). 2 years ago I would have agreed that Safrica was the best in all conditions, but not now. SA, Aus, Eng all have batting issues where the ball turns - which is half the cricket world.

We're actually getting to the point that India is the best cricket nation (gifted a huuuuuuuge benefit of not having to face Pakistan at home or away)- yet they still suck having lost away last in Eng, SA, NZ and Aus. I don't think this is necessarily bad for cricket, but it would be nice to have some teams learn how to play well in alien conditions from those that they enjoy at home.

Ind batsmen may suck in swinging conditions, but they score huge on turners. And this summer, I think they may well have Aussie's number without Smith and Warner. Even if they keep playing Hardik Potato.

I'm still undecided who I want to win the series. I'd normally support anyone playing Australia. And if Smith and Warner were playing, I would support India. I guess I just don't like someone being basically gifted the toughest series win away there used to be. But in ten or twenty years time, that mantle will probably be India's anyway.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2018