What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd trial vs tigers

Dea

Juniors
That was an enjoyable game to watch. Defence had some real physicality about it and commitment for the whole game. they looked good defending their line agains 53 tackles inside the 20. Some good tries scored, including some creativity. Right hand side was quiet, but see what happens Luc arrives. I know it was just a win against the Tigers, but the signs of improvement, individually and across the team, are there and giving some hope of a better season ahead.

A
I thought Sloan had a much more mature game than I've seen from him before.
Agree. I just think custodian is a bridge too far for him. His greatest assets are his elusiveness and pace so give him a position where he can best utilise those and not have to bother about organizing the defensive line, returning the ball against a brick wall and associated other tasks the f/b has to manage.

Last edited:

Dragons4me

Juniors
Great to see the boys walking around the ground signing autographs after the match. Suli took his jersey off and gave it to a kid. Plenty of photos with them too.
Hoops on FOX interviewed Su'a immediately after. He's a giant! Hope he stays.
Great game. They had a dig, which is all I want. They can do it.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Or maybe JdB is just a dumbass ref magnet asking to get pinged...
Just putting that thought out there.
Did you see the tackle?
True. But once a player gets through the line it’s up to the fullback to at least attempt to make a tackle.
A player with a good step will always beat a fullback coming from that angle.

since77

Juniors
Did you see the tackle?

A player with a good step will always beat a fullback coming from that angle.
Agreed. The one late in the second half wasn’t great but I doubt any fullback in the NRL would have stopped the try in the first half based on the angles they were both starting from and bearing in mind the attacking player was in full flight and clearly had the advantage.
Tyrell needs to get better but some of the comments people have made about the miss in the first half shows they have a poor understanding of physical dynamics and athletes in motion.

Dragon Blood

Juniors
A long way to go for 2024, but that was the most enjoyable attacking game I have seen since the Bonco 2018 semi at Suncorp.

On goal defence tonight was 99.9% and it felt we were inviting[ the Tigs there for practice.

I’m still a huge fan of Bud Sullivan and their 19yo No 14. The refs and these two kept them in the game.

what happens next year when Luai and No. 14 are the most obvious starters? Does Bud come back if hammy injury free?

dragon75

Juniors
Great effort by the boys. Plenty of commitment in defence, hard running, quick plays and a lot to look forward to.
When the season starts the boys will improve...good to see them all smiling and enjoying their footy. For me, the jury is still out on Sloan... commentators talk about his pace, but i don't see it. I agree he's a well balanced runner who appears to run effortlessly however he doesn't seem to possess the ability to turn on the after burners or attack the defence with a powerful run...time will tell..

Oh when the saints....

chewbacca

Juniors
Agreed. The one late in the second half wasn’t great but I doubt any fullback in the NRL would have stopped the try in the first half based on the angles they were both starting from and bearing in mind the attacking player was in full flight and clearly had the advantage.
Tyrell needs to get better but some of the comments people have made about the miss in the first half shows they have a poor understanding of physical dynamics and athletes in motion.
My big takeaway from tonight;
Flanagan > Sullivan
And by quite a long way...
I never would have thought it but was plain to see. More consistent player and that's what we need.
Go (coach's) Son!

SnowDragon

Juniors
Sloan still hates contact, won't put his body on the line. His carry backs are terrible as well, stays upright and teams just grab and lift him. Surprised the coaches haven't noticed it.
He actually bent the line once, and was much improved in hitting the line Overall.

yes, still needs to work on it, but this effort is what I we asked for. Add the high balL improvement since hook left and his hands were good unlike last week.

bulla did similar tonight… but nobody calling for his head

Loved the structure and commitment to defence

Loved the look of the forwards

Once we add Sele and Leilua to the 17, we will no longer be easy beats.

The halves, Hunt, Flano and Marschke all showed enterprise and grit.

We played some ad lib footy at one stage which brought a smile to my face.

Starting to see some offloads.

The squad is stronger.

In Flanno we trust.

Latest posts