What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd trial vs tigers

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm guessing 1 - 18 will play the majority of the game.

19 - 26 have also been named in the KOE Cup trial which plays before first grade.

Marschke is an interesting one though as he's named in the 17 in both games. I pressume he'll play half (or less) of the KOE Cup and back up as bench for first grade. With Hunt possibly moving to hooker when he eventually comes on.

Some discussion about why Egan etc were dropped. I don't believe they were. They just won't get gamer time sitting as a reserve reserve. My take is that Flanno wants them match fit, not just fit.

TheRev

First Grade
Marshke is still our only halves injury cover.. so even if he was our 9 or 14, like right now he is the only one in the squad.. ok I suppose Bird.. but were really robbing peter to pay paul in all of this.

thebigredv

First Grade
Why select blokes who have no business playing 1st grade yet? Simply to minimise risk to top 17?

Better off treating it like round 1 and actually be ready to start the season ..

Agree. What's Dan Russell being moved back in for? We were happy to send Burns on his bike but this guy gets a gig? Can anyone throw light on it? Haven't seen anything to warrant first grade even how bad we've been going.

TheRev

First Grade
Re: Russell, I mean I do agree he wont even get a NSW Cup jersey after NickT returns, and/or a few others step up from SG/JF.. I reckon its just trying to give the kid a bit of positivity after missing the Charity Shield.. the poor bastard got a contract extension and bought in to flannos new system...and in just over 2 months, he got gazumped 3 times with better 2nd row purchases..

I reckon Flanno is contemplating paying his contract out before he even gets a game.. but he seems like a really nice kid, so its a bit of a shit sandwich..

Nutz

Bench
Are my tiges playing your dragons in a KOE trial curtain raiser? If so has anyone found a team list?

Belta

Juniors
I know it’s a trial but imo the dragons really need to show some enterprise and put some tries on.
From watching the tigers trial game I thought the tigers spine of, API, bud, Seezer and bula were Skilful and creative, but they looked susceptible in defence

Nutz

Bench
I know it’s a trial but imo the dragons really need to show some enterprise and put some tries on.
From watching the tigers trial game I thought the tigers spine of, API, bud, Seezer and bula were Skilful and creative, but they looked susceptible in defence
I'm hearing you Belta. I thought fitness would've been a priority for my tiges rebuild but they were gassed and sus up the middle, even with extra breaks and unlimited interchange. Very worrying signs.
You guys will test them up the middle again.
You letting go of bud is your loss and our gain I fink.

Wolfgang90

Juniors
Need more ball going to the left in our attacking 20. That's our more dangerous side with Rava/Suli/Sua. They're strike weapons. Even if they don't score they'll shift the defence to the left which would allow more space on the right for our right side attackers. This is where Lomax & Bird can beat guys 1v1.

We overplayed the right side far too much v souths

Como Connection

First Grade
Need more ball going to the left in our attacking 20. That's our more dangerous side with Rava/Suli/Sua. They're strike weapons. Even if they don't score they'll shift the defence to the left which would allow more space on the right for our right side attackers. This is where Lomax & Bird can beat guys 1v1.

We overplayed the right side far too much v souths
Hunt did.
CC

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
i think it was forced to the right as per game plan

i mean 50 times to the right vs 5 to the left .....................you know what i mean.............. it was obvious we wanted to pin them on our right side attack

and make metres on the left and middle

we never went down the right to make metres

just right to control field position and maybe points..............but we forced it and it was clunky right

Belta

Juniors
I'm hearing you Belta. I thought fitness would've been a priority for my tiges rebuild but they were gassed and sus up the middle, even with extra breaks and unlimited interchange. Very worrying signs.
You guys will test them up the middle again.
You letting go of bud is your loss and our gain I fink.

kit66

Bench
i think it was forced to the right as per game plan

i mean 50 times to the right vs 5 to the left .....................you know what i mean.............. it was obvious we wanted to pin them on our right side attack

and make metres on the left and middle

we never went down the right to make metres

just right to control field position and maybe points..............but we forced it and it was clunky right

It was working up to the point it reached Hunt's hands where his decision making was found wanting. Hopefully they sat and watched the replay and are helping Hunt identify his options better and execute properly. Hunt has great instincts when it comes to spotting a little gap he can scoot through to score but not so good when it comes to identifying other opportunities - eyes up footy in other words.
As you Auntie pointed out earlier, a lot of work was done on the left to get the ball out to the right and into Hunts hands, maybe we need that ball in Sloan's or someone else's hands so's not to waste the opportunities being created - or just get Hunt's head in the right place, (Dufty would have been perfect on those plays, that lightening pass out wide or his speed to bamboozle the opposition).
Will be interesting to see how my little mate Bud goes on Saturday night.

Belta

Juniors
Upon reflection neither of us should panic too much, but we are right in being underwhelmed

It’s a trial - Winning not being the objective, it’s moreso a test to experiment without paying a price for mistakes.

In some ways the dragons and tigers trials had many parallels. Both teams started well before falling away against opposition missing many of their top squad. This tends to panic alot of fans. ( me included)

Without over analysing the games ( one theory I come up with is that for many fringe players, it’s a big occasion, a big opportunity to show what they can do. For your day in day out first graders it’s more like a training run.)

Both had good and bad, one notable difference was I thought the spine of the tigers look far more composed, let’s see what Mudgee unfolds

Dragon David

First Grade
Upon reflection neither of us should panic too much, but we are right in being underwhelmed

It’s a trial - Winning not being the objective, it’s moreso a test to experiment without paying a price for mistakes.

In some ways the dragons and tigers trials had many parallels. Both teams started well before falling away against opposition missing many of their top squad. This tends to panic alot of fans. ( me included)

Without over analysing the games ( one theory I come up with is that for many fringe players, it’s a big occasion, a big opportunity to show what they can do. For your day in day out first graders it’s more like a training run.)

Both had good and bad, one notable difference was I thought the spine of the tigers look far more composed, let’s see what Mudgee unfolds
The word composure is the key Belta. If we panic, many more mistakes will happen. Focus on a sensible game plan making sure that each player knows his job like the back of his hand so that he doesn't have to over think and then things will fall nicely in both attack and defence.

In this game, we have GOT to score several tries so that focus in attack has GOT to be spot on. If we only score 1 or 2 tries, it will not bode well for competition games. Surely Ryan Carr has some set plays drilled into our guys making sure that every attacking raid has strong back up by players to support the ball carrier.