What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2Pac vs U2

Who is better?

• 2Pac

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • U2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

meltiger

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
2pacs key album should be Me against the world IMO. Most critics I've read would agree that it was the only really solid album he ever released, whereas the others such as All Eyez on Me were a bit patchy, despite some of their mainstream success. But I wouldn't know from a whole heap of personal experience, cos I can't really get into Pac and find him a little overrated :oops:

Agree to a point here, AEOM should have been a single, no question but you can understand why they put out a double, his prison stay plus Cali Love had Pac at the top of the tree, when the album came out - The first true double cd by a Hip Hop artist - They iced the game.

MATW will always to the day I die be the cd I love the most, for me, it's when Pac was at his peak - BUT Strictly was a better album...

meltiger

First Grade
brook said:
meltiger said:
brook said:
I like both but its got to be U2

:lol:

Liar. The best thing about me moving out was taking my Tupac cds with me :D

no you had PLENTY of worse cd's!! :p

:) grrr

9 times out of 10 though when something went on, it was my bootlegs, Strictly or MATW, so you weren't subjected hugely to the other stuff :D

meltiger

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
2 close 2 call.

I'm leaning 2wards U2. Thierry is right - Pac is a little 2 overrated.

Depends on what you are looking for - If you want pure entertainment, U2 for sure, if you want as a rarity an educated man, who wrote purely poetic lyrics, who despite personal weaknesses, wanted nothing more than to bring change to his people ... Pac - Someone whom despite having the world at his young (26) feet, still worked his gut out to suceed in his profession (Died with over 200 unreleased tracks) ... Pac

Yes I am biased, Tupac will always be my #1, no one will ever be able to top White Manz World - IMHO but I can understand why those who do listen to rap don't like Pac, let alone those who don't listen to Hip Hop.

As far as I am concerned, in Sept 1996 the world lost an extremely special person & sadly enough, it was his own stupid fault.

"Use your brain, use your brain, it ain't them that's killing us off, it's us killing us, it ain't them that's knocking us off, it's us knocking us off.

Watch the Thug Angel DVD though, and they sum it up perfectly, you look at BIG and he was technically, the perfect rapper, if you look purely at his flow, the man moved with music but Pac made you feel what he was rapping, you can feel him pain.

RIP Pac :(

Anonymous

Juniors
He was 25 mel, I thought you of all people would know that ;-)

I think a lot of rappers have had heart, soul, feeling etc. I also think you can't deny that 2pac released a fair bit of straight out gangsta/tough guy sh*t, which was hardly revolutionary. I have no beef with that stuff as a rule, I'm just sayin that it rather suggests he wasn't entirely unique or different, and he was after $$ and commercial success as much as the next guy. But I don't hate him or nuthin.

meltiger

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
He was 25 mel, I thought you of all people would know that ;-)

:lol: Typo, was a tiny bit pissed when I got home last night ;-) June 16th, 1971 :)

Thierry Henry said:
I think a lot of rappers have had heart, soul, feeling etc. I also think you can't deny that 2pac released a fair bit of straight out gangsta/tough guy sh*t, which was hardly revolutionary. I have no beef with that stuff as a rule, I'm just sayin that it rather suggests he wasn't entirely unique or different, and he was after $$ and commercial success as much as the next guy. But I don't hate him or nuthin.

Again, I agree with you to a point here. For me, Hit Em Up was the most dissapointing song he ever released. His music was certainly full of contradictions, Strictly had Keep Ya Head Up whilst at the same time I Get Around, MATW had Can U Get Away & Temptations.

If you look purely at the music, then yes you are 100% right. However, I believe if you delve into the man behind the music, then you find something alot more than just another "Gangsta Rapper" (This term always pisses me off, Tupac never put out Gangsta Rap - Snoop, Tha Dogg Pound is Gangsta Rap, they claimed affiliations, Tupac didn't).

What I mean when I talk about his ability to make you feel the music - There is certainly plenty of artists out there who put out heartfelt music, Brook will argue TR from Nine Inch Nails has the exact same ability and I am sure that is true, Neil Finn from Crowded House could certainly make you feel what he was signing but from a rap perspective I don't think there was ever anyone before he died or since who had the ability to make you feel his words as much as Tupac could. Of course, there are plenty of people around who listen to alot of East Coast music and obviously, if that's what your looking for - Truely correct structure of rap songs, using metaphors and so forth - Then you are not going to like Tupac's music that much, theres no denying that.

Outkast probably could have been at that level, until they decided to start putting out purely mainstream music & there is no denying them, the boys have done amazingly well. Even if what they put out now will not come close to topping Players Ball, Crumblin Erb, Atliens and so forth from their early albums they still get full respect from me, they are by far and away the best pairing Rap has seen in many many years, it's just a shame Andre wants to split the group. Although I do laugh sometimes remembering them being slagged from all corners when Southernplayalisticadillacmusik was released for their "Sexist" lyrics and now looking at how huge Roses is lol :)

El Coconuto

Bench
I went for 2Pac not because I in particularly liked him, but because I wanted to keep at least one rapper in the game. Is Usher in this draw at all?

Note, I also think U2 have got some great songs, namely 'Where The Streets Have No Names'!

Raider_69

Post Whore
Pac for sure
Me against the World is definatly his best CD
and his major songs for mine were

- Changes
- Hit em up
- California Love

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Thierry Henry said:
Wu Tang should be in this. In your face like a can of mace, baby.

Pac is better than Wu Tang mate.

Oi did you know i just realised when playing "This Is Football 2003" on the Sony that Thierry Henry is a soccer player!? Haha.

I never liked U2 apart from a couple of songs here and there. One of the most overrated bands ever.

Pac on the other hand is an icon...so ima have to go with him

Makaveli/7 Day Theory is Pac's best album by the way. And he wrote and recorded it in THREE days...it was mixed and mastered in a further 4 days...

hence the title 7 day theory

over the years Pac's legacy has been a lil tarnished by his mum releasing all of his unreleased material on albums...featuring guest spots by artists he either never knew, or disliked. She even had most of the beats changed (due to the originals being on the net)..and butchered a vast majority of it..

oh and Thierry you're just a HUGE Mobb Deep fan dunn.... ;-) ..and so am I.

Bone & Wu are the greatest though....

bartman

Immortal
How does a dead guy release more songs after he's dead than he did when he was alive? If stuff was unreleased it's usually because it suxs!!

Someone has just been tugging a lot of music lovers for a long ride on their personal gravy train... wonder who'$ getting all hi$ profit$$$$?

U2 thanks, at least they continue to be involved in the music that carries their name. :lol:

bartman said:
How does a dead guy release more songs after he's dead than he did when he was alive? If stuff was unreleased it's usually because it suxs!!

Someone has just been tugging a lot of music lovers for a long ride on their personal gravy train... wonder who'$ getting all hi$ profit$$$$?

His mother Afeni owns the rights to a vast majority of it...and shes responsible for releasing all of the material that he left behind (and getting the cash)....Most of it Pac probably wouldn't even of wanted people to hear...He lived in the studio...and just kept on making song after song...an amazing gift

The material thats not owned by Afeni is owned by Suge Knight CEO of Deathrow.

meltiger

First Grade
Dirk DIGgler said:
over the years Pac's legacy has been a lil tarnished by his mum releasing all of his unreleased material on albums...featuring guest spots by artists he either never knew, or disliked. She even had most of the beats changed (due to the originals being on the net)..and butchered a vast majority of it..

That's not the reason lol

They won't pay for and/or can't get the original samples cleared.

At least three songs have appeared in virtually the same form as the bootlegs - Good Life (Same beat, re-recorded outlaw verse), f**k Wit The Wrong N**** off UTEOT and They Don't Give a f**k About Us off Better Dayz.

TDGAFAU was released like that because she doesn't have the master (Which is clear from the quality of the track - There is no way that it came off the DAT) but the other two were virtually left alone.

Afeni/Suge have tarnished his legacy by some of the things they did on UTEOT but I'll keep those to myself ;-)

Latest posts