What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2UE interested in going for radio rights again

iggy plop

First Grade
Heard Peter Bosley on 2UE today hint that the station will once again be going for rugby league radio rights when they are up agan in 12 months.

Let's hope the NRL do not f**k supporters around again and give them as many options as possible when it comes to radio coverage.

This season has been unsatisfactory with Triple M calling AFL games, 2UE calling union games and 2GB refusing to call matches on Saturday night (7.30pm), leaving a total league blackout when the ABC decide to go with with big union games.

Triple M and 2UE wanted to call league, giving the game priceless promotion. Don't screw it up again NRL!!!!

Its not just the one off payment the NRL should look at.

Its the stuff money cant buy.

The cross promotions on different stations, the mentions of the game during ads....

I think (HOPE) the NRL has seen the light to a certain extent on the radio coverage. fans has shown their anger over the current deal.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Does anyone know how much 2GB pay for the exclusive radio rights??

I think from memory the amount was around $1 million per year.... pretty small bikkies in my book for an organisation turning over as much moolah as the NRL...

Make it available to all, the way it used to be, and if John Singleton whinges, tell him that Ray Hadley can call Super 12 games at the Central Coast featuring Pacific Island teams.....

Stagger eel

Staff member
Another contender to the rights could well be 2SM 1269!

The current afternoon sports program lead by Graeme Hughes, Gavon Robertson and Jim Smith is absolutely brilliant and they definetly wouldn't be out of place calling games.

Tigerpete

Juniors
At the same time though the Continuous Call team is in a league of its own. All the big guns are there and so are the fans, i dont see much changing. As far as rights go for calling games, i'd be horrified if 2gb werent calling them still.

innsaneink

Referee
eelavation said:

The current afternoon sports program lead by Graeme Hughes, Gavon Robertson and Jim Smith is absolutely brilliant and they definetly wouldn't be out of place calling games.

I agree Talkin Sport is a great program, I listen quite a bit, just looking at 2SM's website though , I dont think theyll be in the market.
http://www.2sm.com.au/

JK

When union is on it absolutely sh*ts me that I have to listen to 2GB to get some real footy - I hate that station so much :evil:

hopefully we get radio coverage and phone ins that talk footy with ppl who have watched the games as opposed to ppl who don't go and ring up or `email in' requests for 10-4s, terry hill songs and fuifui moimoi songs ... GBs coverage is awful and u can go a whole hr on saturdays without them talking any footy just talking crap and playing the songs some idiot wrote during the week .. if i want music i'll listen to FM .. hopefully they have competition next yr from a station that will have phone ins where ppl phone in to talk abt football

zulu

Juniors
eelavation said:

I would love to hear those guys call the footy. Hearing 'Heaps' Hughes commentating in those Talkin Sport intros just wets the appetite. So much wasted commentating talent out there. Having to put up with Hadley's immature crap every week is just not on.

Why not have 2UE, 2SM Triple M, ABC and 2GB calling the games.

How good would that be for promotion of RL? They do it Melbourne.

PB

Bench
2Sm wouldnt have the bickies i am afraid.

I would be willing to bet my house that GB would start talking about football alot more if they had competition. The only problem is that 2UE would no doubt use Johnny Gibbs, and he just isn't up to the media i am afraid....having said that Vautin has been on TV for ten years and still doesnt know what the red light on top of the camera means.....

Booyah

Bench
Give it all to the ABC.

This year 2GB have been absolutley hopeless with their coverage. Appalling. Most times I found myself on ABC Grandstand anyway, and it was far more enjoyable and professional.

yakstorm

First Grade
ABC I think will get coverage no matter what, but the NRL should look at giving the commerical rights to at least two providers.

I'd be prepared to give the rights to Triple M for free if they agree to provide radio coverage for Storm games in Melbourne. That would be worth it for the NRL.

OVP

Coach
mickdo said:
What a tragedy for rugby league this would be...

I've always suspected there was something wrong with you ... and now you go out and prove it !!

How the hell could you possibly justify the fact that his majesty, Roy Hardly, refuses to call games at 7:30pm on a saturday night ? This is simply a ludicrous situation where the radio rights HOLDER refuses to call games they paid for. The only shining light is the ABC, but when the big yawnion games are on, then there is a total blackout of rugby league on Super Saturday. That is a pure and utter disgrace.

The more the merrier ... if 2gb think that some dickhead who tells people how to lives their lives via the use of numbers (i sh!t you not) will outrate a league match then ffs, let the other stations prove them WRONG !! Its disgusting the way 2gb treats league fans ... just like channel Nein ... hmmm makes you wonder.

iggy plop

First Grade
Booyah said:
Give it all to the ABC.

This year 2GB have been absolutley hopeless with their coverage. Appalling. Most times I found myself on ABC Grandstand anyway, and it was far more enjoyable and professional.

Don't give it to anyone - let 'em all call it.

The more the merrier for rugby league. I hate Hadley's dribble, but that doesn't mean I want it canned. If we had more options, I just wouldn't listen to the crap.

Their are some morons out there who like it.

iggy plop

First Grade
Gene Krupa said:
:thumnn

The more the merrier I say.

Competion brings out the best in things.

Sure does.

How can Triple M calling Swans games and 2UE calling yawnion games be good for rugby league?

OVP

Coach
iggy plop said:
Gene Krupa said:

Sure does.

How can Triple M calling Swans games and 2UE calling yawnion games be good for rugby league?

But can things get any worse than some dope who thinks looking at numbers can tell you your future, will outrate league ? Have any of you ever listened to the crap they put on 2gb when the footy is over ? Its mind-numbingly insulting.

iggy plop

First Grade
OVP said:
iggy plop said:
Gene Krupa said:

Sure does.

But can things get any worse than some dope who thinks looking at numbers can tell you your future, will outrate league ? Have any of you ever listened to the crap they put on 2gb when the footy is over ? Its mind-numbingly insulting.

Yeah I know. It's pathetic. Steve someone.

John Singelton isn't as passionate for league as everyone thinks.

He ditched the league for Aussie Rules on 2GB back in the late 90's and now he's talking about union for the Central Coast.

I'm starting to think he couldn't give a shit about the code. Paying big money to cut other stations out of the league market, then refusing to broadcast Saturday night 7.30pm games is totally pathetic, especially when Hadley and co. have just spent 6 hours barely talking football and playing stupid repetitive songs.

Latest posts