What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Bulldogs

vvvrulz

Coach
3. Barnett - not even close, that was close to the performance of the year by any Warriors, incredible ticker.
2. Capewell - had to slot into the strangest places, huge work rate and stopped several Doggies on the tracks
1. AFB - plenty of effective carries especially in golden point

HMs for a few:
Walker instrumental, huge minutes and slotted in everywhere
Montoya, gets hated a lot but he was in everything making big runs and getting those spot tackles he often misses. DWZ was on form too, what a shame we lost them.
Halasima, wow! What a weapon, such an exciting prospect.
RTS went looking for more work, and held fullback fine although he's nowhere near what RTS used to be.
Tevaga very busy and bonus points for the cheeky milk on the crusher, which we should have got.

TMM was fine, some kicking gaffes but also made crucial scramble tackles.

No DMs, no disgrace, the level of pride they showed was one of the best in our history.

ozenzud

Juniors
I don't ever want to hear a bad word about Montoya again. Yes he aint fast and he has enormous heart. I'd put him in my team every week because he earns it with effort.

Our season is over now. Robbed by a blatant, wrong refs decision. Very disappointed with the result. But not with the team. Thought it was one of the bravest efforts. Should've won but didn't.

Barnett is huge. Walker as well.

CNK is off atm?

Meth

Staff member
I don't ever want to hear a bad word about Montoya again. Yes he aint fast and he has enormous heart. I'd put him in my team every week because he earns it with effort.

You will.

We go through this cycle all the time. He follows up 1 admirable game with 3 mediocre to terrible ones. Plus, we actually need some speed out there

hitro

Juniors
3 Barnett
2 AFB
1 Halasima

minus 3 billion the ref, the touchies and the bunker who couldn't see late and high shot on TMM in front of posts with game tied and then the guy gets suspended for it the next day

sup42

Juniors
Can't vote this week because I listened to the game on the Radio. Oldschool.

If I were voting based on what they said then most of the side deserved points.

TheDMC

Bench
Incredible game and effort, really don’t mind that we lost.
3. Barnett
2. AFB
3. Walker

the forwards were outstanding . Halves let us down with the kicking a bit , otherwise they were good.

ozenzud

Juniors
You will.

We go through this cycle all the time. He follows up 1 admirable game with 3 mediocre to terrible ones. Plus, we actually need some speed out there
Regarding need for speed, that new kid (who I haven't even heard of). Where did he come from? Wasn't playing reserves was he? At least not heard him mentioned. He had some serious gas. What is he a front rower?

ozenzud

Juniors
Should have read his profile before posting. 18 games for the reserves.......didn't have a high profile all the same

Meth

Staff member
Regarding need for speed, that new kid (who I haven't even heard of). Where did he come from? Wasn't playing reserves was he? At least not heard him mentioned. He had some serious gas. What is he a front rower?

Halasima? Second rower

sup42

Juniors
Incredible game and effort, really don’t mind that we lost.
3. Barnett
2. AFB
3. Walker

the forwards were outstanding . Halves let us down with the kicking a bit , otherwise they were good.
Well said about the loss.
Last year we were happy after these type losses, because we had the humility of not being entitled.
This year people were posting crazy stuff about how anything less than a top four finish would be a fail. That is just silly. This is the gawd dam NRL, this is a competition where one year a club is a gimp, the next a fairy tale giant killer, to expect top four when we do not have the cheats that the likes of the Storm or Roosters or Broncos enjoys is a failure to understand the handicap that this club plays under.

The first thing that separates us from every other team in this competition is that we cannot offer a player, his wife, and his children an Australian life style and a quick flight to be with extended Whanau in times of crises or frankly to go around to mum and dads place for a barbie.

That is a massive hurdle. Lets all recall the hoop lah about what a sacrifice it was from the Warriors during Covid to be away from family etc. Hell that is what every Australian the Warriors have ever tried to sign are faced with, which is why we will NEVER have a fair platform in this competition.

Nor have we had the counter to that problem which is this myth about having an entire country to pick players from. History shows that the Warriors have lagged far behind Australian clubs in scouting the best of NZ talent. This is a subject I could speak to for pages, so I will spare you all one of those rants apart from saying that the Storm grabbed SK to nail all of the best of the middle to lower North Island and they took on Kidwell to have a foothold in Canterbury and the South Island.

We are anything but the best recruiters in New Zealand. Taking all of these facts into consideration (they are facts, in Wellington the comp for the Juniors is called the Stephen Kearney cup, in CH CH the locals view hit man Kidwell as one of their heroes despite the key is the wee...he is still a local boy made good and their Buck Shelford after giving big Willie a hiding).

Outside of Auckland the Warriors have been viewed as a club that ignores all the up and coming stars from North of the Brynderwyns and South of the Bombays. There are countless stories of the Shaun Kenny Dowels and Isaac Lukes catching busses to Mt Smart and being sent away in favor of some big South Auckland teenager.

This is why the club appointed Cappy in a new position and created a department for him to try to counter our handicap vs all the clubs in not having shared and fair access to Aussies best, by at least starting to out compete Penrith and the Storm in NZ.

Unfortunately the ARL (Auckland Rugby League) and the NZRL have collaborated to move against the Warriors. The ARL have aligned themselves with Sydney clubs by opening up special arrangements for Australian clubs to have sister clubs in Auckland and pay the ARL fat fees.
Around the country the regions have been sold under the same arrangement whereby the NZRL gets fat fees to let other Aussie Clubs have staff here in NZ that pay the NZRL transfer fees.

Our own national bodies are selling players here because they resent that the Warriors do not have to pay for players in their own region.

We are in a war. And Mcfadden is our best hope of the sell off of what is basically New Zealand assets.

It is a real shame that Auckland Rugby League hates the Warriors because of past bs where they were kicked out of the Warriors.

When you take all of this crap in, it is a miracle this club is still going strong off the field. A club that is not the best at scouting Kiwis and has to offer Australians East Auckland housing at 1.5 Million dollars on top of bloated salaries from a pool of players who did not laugh out loud when their agents said the Warriors are interested.

The biggest watershed and change moment that has ever happened since 1995 was seeing St Thomas's college win the Schools nationals and for the Warriors to sign all of their best players for our under 17s...who went on to win the Grand final and be the first debut schoolboy side to win the NRL in fifty four years.

This is why I keep saying Cappy is the Warriors best signing.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the ARL (Auckland Rugby League) and the NZRL have collaborated to move against the Warriors. The ARL have aligned themselves with Sydney clubs by opening up special arrangements for Australian clubs to have sister clubs in Auckland and pay the ARL fat fees.
Around the country the regions have been sold under the same arrangement whereby the NZRL gets fat fees to let other Aussie Clubs have staff here in NZ that pay the NZRL transfer fees.

Our own national bodies are selling players here because they resent that the Warriors do not have to pay for players in their own region.
I didn't know this. Pretty shit if its the case. Why arent the club making more noise about it?

Halves let us down with the kicking a bit , otherwise they were good.
I thought TMM was pretty poor to be honest. Not just some of his kick execution, but his option taking as well. There was a real lack of direction at the end of a number of our sets. Given the huge effort of all the forwards to keep us in the game that was really disappointing for mine. Hopefully he rediscovers his mojo.

sup42

Juniors
Cool that you have not heard of Leka Halasima.

Leka has been terrorizing the New Zealand system like no other player for years. He is (deservedly) the top get out of NZ in this era and a major Coup the Warriors have been crowing about signing.

The only other player I can think of with better hype at this club is Stacey Jones.

In the pub League chats in South Auckland for a long time he has been talked up as the next great (as in true great) Warrior. I have been very cautious about all that hype. Seen it too many times to get sucked in. For example according to the hype Zyon Maiu'u and Dimitric are meant to be tomorrows super stars, neither have killed it in NRL.

So when Leka played this weekend and dominated NRL players from a team that is being celebrated for their grit in defence, it told me he is it. He is the real deal. He just did in the NRL what he has done his entire life. And mate he is still growing....he will be bigger, and if the Warriors trainers are smart he will still be just as fast and agile.

I am prepared to say after this week that yes Leka is a monster. A true superstar, because he is eighteen, not even fully grown, and will just get worse to play against.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
I didn't know this. Pretty shit if its the case. Why arent the club making more noise about it?
We did make noise, Cam George expressed his disgust at the New Zealand bodies from Auckland and National body selling out the Warriors for player signing fees.
But the clubs who are signing on with NRL teams have countered with the argument that their kids need Storm staff and Penrith staff coaching their kids since the Warriors cannot offer them the same resources as in huge money and the sexy direct link to professional teams in a landscape where the Warriors ignored them for two decades.

Foolish fans have seen that as a good thing for the Warriors since those kids will be better coached. Basically those fans have never experienced colonization, they do not understand that they are being bought off with beads, blankets and lessons in how to use a musket.

Those same fans will cry about why all of a sudden the SOO and Kangaroos are full of Kiwis. "because you have been colonized? hello'o idiots'

By having agents of Penrith and the Storm in Auckland Wellington and CH CH you are gonna see Australian self interest talking to parents and kids and offering them trinkets to ignore the Warriors.

Ironically or not Canterbury Bankstown have made a deal with Canterbury New Zealand.

That is simply Phil Gould using his understanding of the NZ system (from his time at the Warriors as pathways officer, the position Cappy now holds) to target a region where he knows the Warriors are weak.

Last edited:
Ok, so totally shit from ARL/NZRL. Must be especially galling for the club with NZRL HQ being up the road.

That being said... if all its been taking to convince kids to up and move countries is a bit of love, a bit of kit, and grand promises, there must be some responsibility on the Warriors too?

I mean even allowing for ARL/NZRL running interference, keeping kids at home would presumably take far less effort than convincing them and their families to move overseas?

Rich102

Staff member
Bright lights, Big city.......
Getting away from home.
That's half the attraction.

Meth

Staff member
I thought TMM was pretty poor to be honest. Not just some of his kick execution, but his option taking as well. There was a real lack of direction at the end of a number of our sets. Given the huge effort of all the forwards to keep us in the game that was really disappointing for mine. Hopefully he rediscovers his mojo.

Yeah, I'm with you on this.