What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 2 1 v sharks

jaseg

Juniors
He played the final 13 minutes against the Knights in the halves and looked ordinary against a team that had all but given up. Only 13 minutes, but it's been indicative of all his time (last year included) in the halves at NRL level. I still haven't seen anything to suggest he'll cut it there. No shame in that, fullback is a very influential position.

JJ

Immortal
I know he had 1 starting game as the 6 for our win against the Bulldogs where he played great at 6 for the short time he was there.

He got pushed in there against the Roosters but that was unexpected and considering the lack of game time hes had there it was a bit sudden.

I was thinking last year too

All I can conclude is McFadden doesn't see him as a half, otherwise he'd (surely) bite the bullet and play him there, not like TL is offering anything

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He played the final 13 minutes against the Knights in the halves and looked ordinary against a team that had all but given up. Only 13 minutes, but it's been indicative of all his time (last year included) in the halves at NRL level. I still haven't seen anything to suggest he'll cut it there. No shame in that, fullback is a very influential position.

So all up hes had about 30 minutes all year in the halves.

Despite our earlier debates about Tui being better at 6, I never doubted his ability to play fullback. Now Ive come to like him at fullback although a little bit worried about his defence from there. I dont blame the fullback for having to make a tackle in the first place but some efforts were a bit poor especially one in that Knights game you speak of where Matautia fended him off.

I forgot he got some game time there in that Knights game. However again he was pushed in there out of the blue.

I think if he starts there, if he IS the 6, I think he goes great and has PROVEN that last time he was there in the Bulldogs game.

Thats all Im going to say, you know where I stand on this. I just dont want to go 360 on this either. I do like him at fullback now, just his defence is not that good from there compared to Fusituas try savers.

Andrew Johns and Billy Slater those guys have said Lolohea should be our 6 but what do they know..

Last edited:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Also 13 minutes when you've already put the cue in the rack isn't really indicative, is it?

vvvrulz

Coach
I think if he starts there, if he IS the 6, I think he goes great and has PROVEN that last time he was there in the Bulldogs game.

One game does not make a half, Tui still has a long way to go.

But you're dead right in that he should be given an extended crack.
He's the best half option we have by miles, followed by Robson.

The only way we can carry Leuluai is if we don't need him to create plays and be a tackle bot, which means Luke, Princess, whoever is at fullback and Lolo (wherever he is) have to control all our attacking plays. This will get us somewhere up to a point like the last two weeks, but eventually not having a real 6 will kill us.

Fus has been so good at fullback that I'd even reconsider RTS as a winger, absolute revelation on defence.

jaseg

Juniors

Andrew Johns and Billy Slater those guys have said Lolohea should be our 6 but what do they know..

Andrew Johns will say whatever random thought pops into his head at any given moment. He was a great player, but a horribly inconsistent judge of talent as a pundit/commentator.

As for that Bulldogs game, here's the breakdown of his time at 6 (16 minutes, 8 sets with the ball);

10 touches
1 run
0 tackle breaks
0 assists
1 kick
1 forced drop out

3 of his passes actually caused us to lose (or fail to gain) metres (balls to Hoffman, Tuivasa-Sheck & Mannering. The only good thing he did was earn a drop out - and that was off a short-side play that clearly wasn't called and wouldn't have worked if not for Johnson's crazy acceleration to get to Hopoate after not initially running off the kick. Still, it was a good kick, I'll give him that.

Two of the three sets in which he didn't touch the ball, we scored tries (the other being our 1st set of the match).

So to say he is "proven" and "goes great" when starting at 6 is an absolutely massive stretch. I'd like to be wrong, but haven't seen anything to indicate that yet (and he played some decent minutes in the halves last year, to pretty much the same result).

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
All I can conclude is McFadden doesn't see him as a half
Also 13 minutes when you've already put the cue in the rack isn't really indicative, is it?
And thats what it comes down to is Cappy who himself wasnt too bad for the Raiders back in his day as a half. He wont pick Tui to start.
Fus has been so good at fullback that I'd even reconsider RTS as a winger, absolute revelation on defence.
Hes been that good has Fus that many would consider him over RTS who was dubbed the worlds best fullback. Tui goes great there too obviously but its really crap for Tui cos he was benched to cover Johnson and Leiluai and Fus is begining to shine at fullback.

It really says a lot about your coaching ability when you cant even coach a player into a position that you yourself use to play and to add to that, the player your coaching was A HALF!

Last edited:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Andrew Johns will say whatever random thought pops into his head at any given moment. He was a great player, but a horribly inconsistent judge of talent as a pundit/commentator.

As for that Bulldogs game, here's the breakdown of his time at 6 (16 minutes, 8 sets with the ball);

10 touches
1 run
0 tackle breaks
0 assists
1 kick
1 forced drop out

3 of his passes actually caused us to lose (or fail to gain) metres (balls to Hoffman, Tuivasa-Sheck & Mannering. The only good thing he did was earn a drop out - and that was off a short-side play that clearly wasn't called and wouldn't have worked if not for Johnson's crazy acceleration to get to Hopoate after not initially running off the kick. Still, it was a good kick, I'll give him that.

Two of the three sets in which he didn't touch the ball, we scored tries (the other being our 1st set of the match).

So to say he is "proven" and "goes great" when starting at 6 is an absolutely massive stretch. I'd like to be wrong, but haven't seen anything to indicate that yet (and he played some decent minutes in the halves last year, to pretty much the same result).

Yeah just rewatch the Bulldogs game if you can and like back then Im sure you admitted to him having a good short stint there. Stats dont always tell the story. He proved himself in that short stint, theres no denying that and did go great in his ONLY starting game. That was never up for debate before :)

JJ

Immortal
He wasn't the Lone Ranger there - everyone had big wraps on Johnson - guess I am still waiting for him to consistently be a top level NRL half

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
He wasn't the Lone Ranger there - everyone had big wraps on Johnson - guess I am still waiting for him to consistently be a top level NRL half

For us to say some 18 yr will be the next big thing is not as big a wrap as for someone like Johns to say it cos then his credibility is on the line. Johns gets PAID for his expertise.

Like jaseg was saying, he does say anything on his mind at the time and of course when the subject is a player, its always positive but on Johnson he kind of really insisted.

The aussies did a good job of picking out SBW as well so now when theyre say something about a player, Im all ears. I dont neccessarily think what they say is the be all to end all but it is worth looking at after all, League is the aussies fortay.

In the end it doesnt really matter cos Cappy wouldnt pick Tui at 6 if all of Australia told him too. Hes the coach and Im glad Im OPPOSITE of him on that and not WITH HIM on that one.

Last edited:

jaseg

Juniors
Oh well done to Johnsy, he managed to pick one of the most telegraphed young players in the game a week after (as an 18yo playing u20s) he made his debut by pouring on a bunch of try assists against a well regarded Parramatta juniors team. Before that of course he was a national level touch player. Yep, what a pick.

Just out of interest;
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=386024#j52v2EuDGCDRlKpX.97
http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sp...okies-in-2026-nsw-blues-state-of-origin-team/

Just two links to lol-worthy Johns statements. And that took about 10 seconds with google.

Anyway, I said "inconsistent". As you seem so apt to say to others (and I'm paraphrasing here), read all of the post and understand what I said first etc etc...

"just rewatch the Bulldogs game if you can" - I have. Better yet, I literally have the record of every touch he made in the first 16 minutes. See above - that's what we call evidence (and it wasn't just stats - he threw 3 balls to players who got tackled as they were catching the pass). Anyway, he was fine (I did say he had a good kick, no?). That's not the same as an indicator of high level halves potential at NRL level.

Beyond that, I didn't say he was bad... I said;

"So to say he is "proven" and "goes great" when starting at 6 is an absolutely massive stretch"

Which is true. He's not proven, and he didn't "go great"... he went fine. Which is at least a little better than how he did last year.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Oh well done to Johnsy, he managed to pick one of the most telegraphed young players in the game a week after (as an 18yo playing u20s) he made his debut by pouring on a bunch of try assists against a well regarded Parramatta juniors team. Before that of course he was a national level touch player. Yep, what a pick.
Already answered that in my post above as to why its a big deal for Johns to slap his high approval on Johnson.

It sounds like your getting upset :) jase. Anyway I know its a bit far feteched but if YOU could provide some proof of you predicting Johnson to go well in the NRL then that would be awesome. Honestly not having a go at you AT ALL.

Also a lot of juniors as you described pour on the try scoring assists and a lot of them do play national level touch. You can hardly say from that point theyre going to be great in the NRL.
Just two links to lol-worthy Johns statements. And that took about 10 seconds with google.
Good on ya, I dont think we were discussing how fast it takes to find things on google but well done. Johns gets PAID for his expertise. Us?..well no.
Anyway, I said "inconsistent". As you seem so apt to say to others(and I'm paraphrasing here), read all of the post and understand what I said first etc etc...
My post above does agree with you on this somewhat there so Im not sure why youre bringing that up. There is a part that indirectly sides with what youre saying.
"just rewatch the Bulldogs game if you can" - I have. Better yet, I literally have the record of every touch he made in the first 16 minutes. See above - that's what we call evidence (and it wasn't just stats - he threw 3 balls to players who got tackled as they were catching the pass). Anyway, he was fine (I did say he had a good kick, no?). That's not the same as an indicator of high level halves potential at NRL level.

Beyond that, I didn't say he was bad... I said;

"So to say he is "proven" and "goes great" when starting at 6 is an absolutely massive stretch"

Which is true. He's not proven, and he didn't "go great"... he went fine. Which is at least a little better than how he did last year.
All this part is open to ones opinion. Your pretty much saying what you were saying when we had this debate earlier. Like I said before thats your opinion, good on ya. You seem to see eye to eye with Cappy in regards to Tui and I have to say Tuis at the back is going good. Great minds think alike as they say.

All good jaseg :)

Last edited:

TheDMC

Bench
Why is our usually chill forum turning into agro tit for tat arguments in recent months.

Get a room funboys!

jaseg

Juniors
Already answered that in my post above as to why its a big deal for Johns to slap his high approval on Johnson.

It sounds like your getting upset :) jase. Anyway I know its a bit far feteched but if YOU could provide some proof of you predicting Johnson to go well in the NRL then that would be awesome. Honestly not having a go at you AT ALL.

Also a lot of juniors as you described pour on the try scoring assists and a lot of them do play national level touch. You can hardly say from that point theyre going to be great in the NRL.

Why is me responding to you automatically making you think I'm getting upset? You've tried to pull that out a few times, and it's not even close. It's a bit weird, to be quite frank.

And "a lot of juniors" don't pull the numbers Johnson pulled. As a matter of fact, Johnson holds the all-time NYC record for number of try assists in a season. Some of them play touch - very few have played at the level Johnson did as a schoolboy. He was pretty much the easiest pick to be a top level success of the last 8-9 years. I don't have evidence (if there was some sort of post search function perhaps, but that's far too much effort) as - unlike Andrew Johns - my every public utterance isn't catalogued and reported. But everyone here at the time knew he was going to be the next big thing.

The google comment was a reference to how easy it is (and therefore the sheer quantity) to find statements like that from the ex-player in question.

My post above does agree with you on this somewhat there so Im not sure why youre bringing that up. I agree with you so...hmm.

All this part is open to ones opinion. Your pretty much saying what you were saying when we had this debate earlier. Like I said before thats your opinion, good on ya. You seem to see eye to eye with Cappy in regards to Tui and I have to say Tuis at the back is going good. Great minds think alike as they say.

I actually detest Cappy's decision making on many levels. Tui as a fullback isn't one of them - he's still played all his best NRL footy there. A half needs to be able to control the play effectively from the front of the play... Tui generally only looks good getting the ball out the back of the play.

Proven is more than 16 minutes of adequacy. He's not proven as a half - that's not really subjective.

Bored of this now. Time to get back to some actual work :lol:

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Why is me responding to you automatically making you think I'm getting upset? You've tried to pull that out a few times, and it's not even close. It's a bit weird, to be quite frank.

And "a lot of juniors" don't pull the numbers Johnson pulled. As a matter of fact, Johnson holds the all-time NYC record for number of try assists in a season. Some of them play touch - very few have played at the level Johnson did as a schoolboy. He was pretty much the easiest pick to be a top level success of the last 8-9 years. I don't have evidence (if there was some sort of post search function perhaps, but that's far too much effort) as - unlike Andrew Johns - my every public utterance isn't catalogued and reported. But everyone here at the time knew he was going to be the next big thing.

The google comment was a reference to how easy it is (and therefore the sheer quantity) to find statements like that from the ex-player in question.

I actually detest Cappy's decision making on many levels. Tui as a fullback isn't one of them - he's still played all his best NRL footy there. A half needs to be able to control the play effectively from the front of the play... Tui generally only looks good getting the ball out the back of the play.

Proven is more than 16 minutes of adequacy. He's not proven as a half - that's not really subjective.

Bored of this now. Time to get back to some actual work :lol:

Agreed with all of that. Dont work too hard.

Meth

Staff member
Show me where I said that he did? The comment was that he did absolutely nothing.

ffs

'did absolutely nothing' is a way of saying he didn't play well. We all know he ran onto the field, made a couple of tackles, touched the ball on occasion and ate an orange at half time.

Latest posts