What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 v Titans

I thought everyone played well. Afterthought, did Johnson land the Tupou try conversion? Just thinking that if he did, would have been lucky that Tupou ran in closer.

Pretty sure he got that one, Bill did some good thinking there. He missed Manu, his and Henrys.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. Henry - Looks at home in the centres
2. Mannering - He's back
1. Mateo - He's back too!

Hon mention Manu, Johnson really starting to look at home at 7 now, Tupou is rocks and diamonds but I'm a fan of his attitude.

-3. Ropati - He cost us the game, yes we should have lost because that Johnson try was a joke.

Blair

Coach
3 - Mateo
2 - Johnson
1 - Mannering

I missed your blow by blow account during the game. It's raw emotion.

Even if I watch it somewhere I still come home and read your post. Could only imagine what would have been posted in the last fifteen minutes!

The recent pattern has usually been talking up the Warriors then...faarrk!

Last edited:

tangalife

Juniors
2. Mannering - He's back

Hon mention Manu, Johnson really starting to look at home at 7 now, Tupou is rocks and diamonds but I'm a fan of his attitude.

-3. Ropati - He cost us the game, yes we should have lost because that Johnson try was a joke.

Its not a simple job of subtracting Johnson's try and that is the real result. Things would have played out alot different. Not to mention titans last try was forward pass and I think the boys were safe knowing the game was won.

Iafeta

Referee
2. Mannering - He's back

Depends how they ruled it I guess. Was he deliberately tapping it over the player or was he trying to get to the ball and a side effect it went over the player?

Also, not sure you saw it, but the last Titans try came from a pass that Joe Montana would be proud of.

I missed your blow by blow account during the game. It's raw emotion.

Even if I watch it somewhere I still come home and read your post. Could only imagine what would have been posted in the last fifteen minutes!

The recent pattern has usually been talking up the Warriors then...faarrk!

Daughters birthday pulled rank, so recorded and watched without knowing score.
It would of been full of WTF and Snippers got Locke! I paid the bastard to get Ropo! :crazy:

vvvrulz

Coach
Regarding that forward pass, it never went upstairs so I'm assuming that would have been allowed. Johnson definitely tipped it forward to regather and it was not a try. It proved to be lucky but we were due some luck anyway. Just saying that Ropati's blunders helped the titans to 1 point behind and we were lucky to have that lead.

Meth

Staff member
Regarding that forward pass, it never went upstairs so I'm assuming that would have been allowed. Johnson definitely tipped it forward to regather and it was not a try. It proved to be lucky but we were due some luck anyway. Just saying that Ropati's blunders helped the titans to 1 point behind and we were lucky to have that lead.

Besides the point.

It was quite obviously a forward pass, not a marginal one. It was a howler. One dodgy try a piece and, despite our late wobbles, we were the better team.

Meth

Staff member
Mannering 35
Johnson 25
Henry 22
Mateo 21
Vatuvei 12
Packer 3
Leulauai 1
Friend 1

20 voted

tangalife

Juniors
Just saying that Ropati's blunders helped the titans to 1 point behind and we were lucky to have that lead.

Ropati's blunders helped Titans to 1 point behind? That's a bit unfair.

Not Godinet's brain explosion completely unesssecary pass back inside?
Not Manu's drop ball which lead to the final try?
Not Aidan Seizer's awesome at the death 40/20's?
Not Dave Taylor's dominance and offloading?

Alan Johnson

Juniors
I didn't realise you couldn't tip the ball forward like that. I mean, I knew you couldn't throw the ball over a defender - i.e., a forward pass to yourself - but I kinda just assumed a tip-on from a kick would be legit. Fair enough that it's not though.

Iafeta

Referee
You can't, if its deliberate. If he was trying to catch it or bring it under control and it went forward like that, its play on. I guess that's what the video refs decided.

You can't, if its deliberate. If he was trying to catch it or bring it under control and it went forward like that, its play on. I guess that's what the video refs decided.

So the Video refs decide on what they think the players are thinking? Crazy. It would be better to rule no try on tip forwards period no matter what the intention

jaseg

Juniors
So the Video refs decide on what they think the players are thinking? Crazy. It would be better to rule no try on tip forwards period no matter what the intention

But then ANY time a player juggled the ball would be called back if it went slightly forward in the process - even if there was no opposition close to them. It's never going to be a clear cut process, but the way they have it (officials trying to judge intent by body actions) is the way to go IMO.

This isn't the only area of the game where intent is attempted to be found/deciphered by the officials - think about the Billy Slater boot/kick/whatever storm earlier this season, that was all about intent. As in did he intend to kick the player (and therefore committed a foul) or was the leg out naturally for balance in which case the onus goes onto the onrushing player to avoid, since Slater's in the air as the receiving/defensive player.

But then ANY time a player juggled the ball would be called back if it went slightly forward in the process - even if there was no opposition close to them. It's never going to be a clear cut process, but the way they have it (officials trying to judge intent by body actions) is the way to go IMO.

This isn't the only area of the game where intent is attempted to be found/deciphered by the officials - think about the Billy Slater boot/kick/whatever storm earlier this season, that was all about intent. As in did he intend to kick the player (and therefore committed a foul) or was the leg out naturally for balance in which case the onus goes onto the onrushing player to avoid, since Slater's in the air as the receiving/defensive player.

This is going to get bad. All the show ponies will become Hollywood actors like Football players showing "No Intent" but we all know there is because it's the same people week in week out that are getting away with it. Smith and Slater come to mind.

Shouldn't all tip forwards be ruled knock on? I don't see why this is not in place now.
To read body language or minds is still crazy.

Slater's boot in the head incident is a prime example of good acting and bad officiating, that cat knew he had his boot where it was, to come out and say their was no intent to hit the player is ludicrous, the cats past performances clearly show that he has a habit of using his legs/feet as a shield/deflector to the opposing player.

I could go on with example after example but I'm sure you get my drift.

jaseg

Juniors
Oh yeah mate I know what you mean. It could get very bad - and has already from time to time.

But look at the alternative; ANY time someone doesn't catch a ball cleanly/juggles it slightly on the take, it could be ruled a turnover. That's ridiculous. Far too detrimental to general gameplay.

The current way seems to be a necessary evil IMO. (and frankly; if ruling on someone's intent by observing behaviour is good enough for the legal system, it's good enough for sport)

Iafeta

Referee

No not really. They judge whether he's attempting to catch the ball and the ball as a result goes forward and is regathered. Its like referees judging if a defensive player is playing at the ball and goes out, what the restart is.

Latest posts