What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3-2-1 vs Bunnies

Fonzie

Juniors
Might be being a bit optimistic but I see some damn good things building here. After the disaster of round 1 they have got the defence sorted and are not conceding easily out wide. Then the last 2 weeks elliot has turned his mind to attacking structure amd it has improved significantly each week. TL, SJ and locke are creating a strong combo. The question is how much more improvement is there to come in attack, and can they sustain the eneegy and focus in D? I think the next 4 weeks will tell us where they will end up, and it could be anything.

Blair

Coach
Was distracted with my local cricket club's presentation so missed the whole game. Although I did catch the entire Warriors comeback and then Souths' (predictable?) try to win it.

I won't give 3-2-1's this week as I missed the game in context and like to take this forum 'player of the season' thing seriously.

Gee, we looked good though. However, we're in serious trouble in regard to our position on the table. With two away games to Canberra (where we never win) and Melbourne we could be 1 from 7 before we start gaining some points with a set of home games.

But I'll just reiterate. Gee we looked good today.

One Warrior

Bench
3. Laumape
2. Hurrell
1. Matulino

It may of been a loss, but how good is it to feel positive about the team again. Laumape what a find, when Neilson comes back has to take Tupou's place, sorry Fish.

Benek

Juniors
3. Laumape
2. Hurrell
1. Mannering & Rapira

There were so many little things (including the shocker missed strip on Matalino), had we had just one of them go our way we won that game. They looked really good. Too bad we get no points from that performance. Canberra game is an must win or we're stuck too low on the table.

3 Laumape
2 Packer
1 Matulino

- 5 mannering, so 1 dimensional, not a leader, poor ball handling skills, abortion of a kick, pathetic attempt of a tackle on G Burgess, too upright, got driven backwards about 5-6m for Burgess to score between his legs

Bro you did watch the same game right? Don't get me wrong I know Mannering has had a few errors in his game recently but, your whole scope of his surperb performance today is way off my friend.

Last edited:

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Very proud of our boys they dug deep today, one thing I would hope is happening is that Elliot sits SJ down and gives him a tape on Adam Reynolds and how to control a game.

3. Laumape
2. Mateo
1. Hurrell

Bit more fitness work for hurrell and he should really go up another level, really seems to get gassed very quick.

vvvrulz

Coach
3. Laumape
2. Vatuvei - very strong comeback game
1. Locke

But that doesn't reflect how almost every Warrior turned up today, that was our best performance in a very long time.

Hurrell is definitely an attacking weapon but he needs to sort out his damn defence.

Laumape, Neilson, Manu, Hurrell looks like our backline so its Tupou that will have to miss out by the looks of things, which is a shame because he was pretty good today as well.

TL is purely a defensive half, he offers diddly squat on attack and leaves too much to Johnson. I really want to see 7. Godinet 6. Johnson combination tried out.

Mannering needs to be relieved of the captaincy burden so he can focus on his game, or maybe even a co-captain system like in 2002.

Last weeks win left a weird feeling and wasn't sure how to react because the Cows were so sloppy. I feel much much better after this game despite the loss, we are really back on track now.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
I like how we're looking to play ourselves back into form through positive, expansive(but mostly structured) football rather than focusing on not making mistakes. It's the quickest way, IMO. I respect a lot of what Cleary did for us as a coach, however I think his game plan would have revolved around the latter, were he trying to drag us out of a slump.

Watching some of the footy shows, listening to some of the calls to RadioSport & looking at this forum, it seems that TL is polarizing quite a few people. Pretty sure Matty Johns claimed he wasn't an NRL quality half (which is ridiculous given how many average ones there are running around). On the flip side, last week the entire radio commentary team had TL as MOM. The most common criticism of him seems to be that he offers nothing in attack. He's starting to do a pretty decent job in an organizing role, IMO. We saw some pretty fluid backline moves today & he played his part in a number of them. Having said all that, the best football I've seen him play is from the hooking role, so I'd have no issue with him being shifted there if need be. The most important thing is that we have other credible options in that position to put pressure on him to earn his spot. Hasn't often been the case in the past.

Damarky

Juniors
3- Laumape
2- Hurrell
1- Locke

Special big up to the Coach who seems to be getting
Simon mannering going forward for the first time in a
long time those stats for the past two games are the
best in the forwards. If he can start doing good hit ups
He is rounding into a good captain leading by example!
(its taken 3 years of Simon thinking he was just a tackle bot)

-3 elijah taylor- (dude you suck running it up just tackle please stay out of the way for the real talent in the attacking 20 please)

Meth

Staff member
On a side note, Souths' fans are the most geniused in the league

Meth

Staff member
I like how we're looking to play ourselves back into form through positive, expansive(but mostly structured) football rather than focusing on not making mistakes. It's the quickest way, IMO. I respect a lot of what Cleary did for us as a coach, however I think his game plan would have revolved around the latter, were he trying to drag us out of a slump.

Watching some of the footy shows, listening to some of the calls to RadioSport & looking at this forum, it seems that TL is polarizing quite a few people. Pretty sure Matty Johns claimed he wasn't an NRL quality half (which is ridiculous given how many average ones there are running around). On the flip side, last week the entire radio commentary team had TL as MOM. The most common criticism of him seems to be that he offers nothing in attack. He's starting to do a pretty decent job in an organizing role, IMO. We saw some pretty fluid backline moves today & he played his part in a number of them. Having said all that, the best football I've seen him play is from the hooking role, so I'd have no issue with him being shifted there if need be. The most important thing is that we have other credible options in that position to put pressure on him to earn his spot. Hasn't often been the case in the past.

It feels like we're treading water with Leuluai at 6, although he has noticeably been better over the last two weeks.

tangalife

Juniors
TL was good last night he linked up well in those moves out to the right.

Hurrell, well I was wrong to slam the guy so much in the last couple of weeks. He had a stormer. Finally got that feeling from last year of "give it it to Hurrell" when looking for a try.

Mannering, made a couple of blunders but ran the ball well, Might have gone in for a try if Teo didn't put a great tackle on him.

Locke getting more involved again which is good, however hes getting beaten up out there I wonder if this just digs away at his desire to play the game...getting smashed every week...

Laumape, looking awesome, still a bit worried he will just be good for his first year and then just become average.

Rich102

Staff member
3. Laumape
2. Hurrell
1. Godinet

Honorable mention. Matty Elliott. Could this be the start of something good?

Meth

Staff member
I think that Leuluai is key to Hurrell's game. He needs to get good ball to be effective.

Micistm

Bench
Did not see it, will look out for a replay though.

Aside from a couple of intercepts, the feedback I've heard is good and a vast improvement. That's what we want to see. Obviously two points would be ideal but there is distinct improvement over earlier embarrassments.

A lot of talk over Mannering though. WTF has happened to him? The poison challice that is Kiwi capt kicked in?!

spear tackle

Juniors
A lot of talk over Mannering though. WTF has happened to him? The poison challice that is Kiwi capt kicked in?!

He dropped a couple and was given the ball on the last tackle and tried to kick it with not the result you would want.
He had some good runs etc though.
He looks to be going through a bit of a form slump at the moment but I doubt its terminal, besides he was one of the best performers last year it was just a pity the rest of the team didn't try as hard as he did. Maybe it's burnout from carrying the team almost single handedly for the last year

vvvrulz

Coach
He dropped a couple and was given the ball on the last tackle and tried to kick it with not the result you would want.
He had some good runs etc though.
He looks to be going through a bit of a form slump at the moment but I doubt its terminal, besides he was one of the best performers last year it was just a pity the rest of the team didn't try as hard as he did. Maybe it's burnout from carrying the team almost single handedly for the last year

I'd say get him off captaincy, it must have been extremely frustrating trying to lead the horribly coached mob last year and as you say there is probably some burnout.

If it was up to me I'd give it to Friend or Lowrie, or even try co-captaincy between them.

Yeah drop the guy who was trying to carry our dead weight last year. Genius stuff noob.

I like the idea of a leadership group involving Mannering, Friend & Lowrie but to drop the one guy who plays his heart out week in week out, I think not.

If anything I reckon he shouldnt be the Kiwi's Captain just yet but that's out of our hands.

Kiwi captaincy curse aye? Well I think that's even more of reason to give it to someone else, we have enough issues winning at the moment so yeah give back to Asotasi lol