What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3,2,1 vs Dragons

Rich102

Staff member
You don't think we can make it through an Oz-based semi?

The wing defense is a funny one. At first I was like *#@!! you Tupou when they scored first down his side, but on the replay they were marked man on man; the Dragons had simply created a 1-man overlap.

Locke gets my three points, no idea for the 2 &1 - not the wingers though. Was at the game, very disappointing 2nd half we were off the boil completely. You wouldn't have seen it on telly, but early in that half there was a kick to our in goal and our entire forward pack walked back (from around the 40m mark) - no urgency whatsoever, leaving our backs to run it out from our goaline for 4 of the 5 plays. Needless to say they made about 30yrds from 5 tackles, and the next set St George scored.

On the wing defensive issue - this has been going on awhile. Our backline is compressed in (which is normal) but are far too slow in pushing out when the ball is being spread. Not so much an overlap, but it means their backs have room to move and can get on their marker's outside, and then when the wings panic and come in (nearly every time un-neccessarily) we are screwed. Or they switch it in to someone hitting straight and at pace (Boyd for example) and because we are slow to move out, thar be a gap. Sucks.

It was very noticable. Just when we should have been lifting we were flat.
That was a game they should have been on fire for.

I can't see much future for Inu. Talent to burn but far too lazy.

SilentOne

Juniors
3. Locke
2. Rapira
1. Lillyman

Seriously can Inu f**k off now? What a lethargic and pathetic performance he had yesterday, just terrible.

jaseg

Juniors
With Luck, are you talking the double effort on Boyd? That was definitely a penalty.

Tackle wasn't called dominant when it clearly was (would have given Luck license to stay in the tackle longer). It wasn't much of a second effort on Boyd regardless, he did make the most of it.

I'm in no way solely blaming the refereeing... we still should've won that game. But it's just not good to see that rubbish.

_addict

Juniors
He was. So are we going to go back to the 'Mannering shouldn't be captain when we lose'? He was copping it during the losing streak, haven't heard anyone complaining about his captaincy over the last 5-6 weeks though.....
I certainly see Mannering as a player who provides a great example for the tem to follow in terms of work ethic and personal discipline, but by way of example the Dragons were holding down our players for far too long in the tackle, even when they weren't dominant and hadn't rolled the player on the back, Mannering should have had a good ole captains vent about it, but didn't, at least I didn't see it.

In saying that we are lacking leadership, I don't just mean the captain, I also mean that those who should be taking the play by the scruff and directing, possibly demanding of his players what needs to happen.

devoid

Juniors
Totals for round 25 vs the Dragons

47 - Kevin Locke
20 - Jacob Lillyman
12 - Joel Moon
7 - Simon Mannering (5 votes)
7 - Sam Rapira (also 5 votes)
6 - Shaun Johnson
3 - James Maloney

18 people voted -

Micistm

Bench
Locke-Moon-Lillyman

Overall a very frustrating game. In my heart I always felt we were going to win one lose one of the last two...but was just so disappointed as that game was so winnable. Some of the calls were terrible, but we did not help ourselves and the dumb errors we've had for the past three weeks finally caught up and this time it cost us.

Micistm

Bench
Added foot note: The Dragons deserve the win with that post half time effort though. Totally smothered us, and we didn't respond to the pressure at all.

devoid

Juniors
Totals for round 25 vs the Dragons

50 - Kevin Locke
21 - Jacob Lillyman
14 - Joel Moon
7 - Simon Mannering (5 votes)
7 - Sam Rapira (also 5 votes)
6 - Shaun Johnson
3 - James Maloney

19 people voted -

Updated for Micistm's vote, if you can handle it Rich. Not too much difference though - the player of the year has been safe for a few rounds now.

devoid

Juniors
Added foot note: The Dragons deserve the win with that post half time effort though. Totally smothered us, and we didn't respond to the pressure at all.

Yeah, agree man. They stepped it up big time and deserved there win. Hopefully our boys can do similar this Saturday.

ThirdEye

Juniors
Yeah, agree man. They stepped it up big time and deserved there win. Hopefully our boys can do similar this Saturday.
Sure they stepped it up but I dont see how you can say they deserved the win - especially after you read the consensus of this thread is that we were on the receiving end of some dodgy calls. The warriors were the better team on the day and, as _addict said earlier, something special is just around the corner.

devoid

Juniors
Really - you don't see how the Dragons were the better side? We didn't lose this game because of dodgy refereeing... I don't doubt the possibility of something special coming - but I'm not fooling myself into thinking we dominated and deserved to win that game. You're allowed your opinion obviously, but I am mine too.

ThirdEye

Juniors
Take away Gasnier's try, which the Dragon's didn't earn - it was given to them, then the warrior's would've won and we'd all be singing a different tune.

Rich102

Staff member
Sure they stepped it up but I dont see how you can say they deserved the win - especially after you read the consensus of this thread is that we were on the receiving end of some dodgy calls. The warriors were the better team on the day and, as _addict said earlier, something special is just around the corner.

The better team on the day won!

hitman82

Bench
Warriors were eatass. The Dragons were mostly poor too, but they deserved the win. We ARE the better team, but we certainly didn't play like it.
Those clowns have lost 5 in a row, and not all to amazing opposition. Our losing to them makes me fairly gloomy about our finals prospects. Probably our most frustrating loss of the season.
Did you see Locke and Johnson etc after the game? They looked like broken men - because they knew they should have won, and failed.

Latest posts