What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3,2,1 Vs Knights

Meth

Staff member
Berrigan shouldn't have been at centre. I think Cleary just didn't want the appearance of two backs on the bench because it points out how ridiculous it is to have Hohaia and Berrigan/Heremaia in the team. Brown had a bad game last week at centre, but he should have started there. Berrigan probably shouldn't have been rushed back in, but (serious question) who else was there at our disposal?

Just in case anybody has an answer to this. It might have been a case of Berrigan being the only option. Or was there somebody else travelling with them?

devoid

Juniors
I think Shaun Johnson was the only other player with the team. But that was my impression too - Ta'ai unavailable, Berrigan answered the phone stating he was ready, Brown shifted to the bench to replicate a Ta'ai-like impact from the bench... no drama. Berrigan obviously wasn't quite up to it yesterday, but we got through.

Izz

Bench
Just in case anybody has an answer to this. It might have been a case of Berrigan being the only option. Or was there somebody else travelling with them?
Berrigan wasn't travelling with them. He only flew over a day or two prior to the game. However, Cleary would've been relying on the medical staff back here to pronounce him fit, which they did. Cleary's strategy was sound, except for Berrigan not quite being as fit as he said he was (on RadioSport on Thursday morning he was talking his fitness right up, telling Veitch that his hand was 100%).

hitman82

Bench
I think the strategy was stupid.

Berrigan was flown over at short notice.

Brown has been our best player all season and has been providing huge metres at centre and MOSTLY decent defense.

Cleary should have left Brown where he was, and flown a Lousi, Poching or Mini-Rapira over to provide the bench impact. Not that anyone can really replace Ukuma anyway.

Also worth remembering when Berrigan was playing so well at centre, he was alongside a defensively-strong and tactically smart Inu. Not a half-fit Manu who lacks lateral movement and is well-known for being a bit iffy with defensive positioning.
As soon as I saw the centre-wing combo I started swearing and didn't stop swearing until Berrigan went off.

I felt sorry for the guy because he clearly wasn't ready. But at the same time he should have been hooked a lot sooner.

Izz

Bench
It could also be that Brown was a bit tired (two games the previous weekend), and Cleary thought playing him off the bench would get the best out of him without him carrying quite the same workload.

hitman82

Bench
Unless Brown was carrying injuries there's no reason he should have been unfit to play the full 80 minutes. It was a reversion to a conservative approach and it didn't work.

Meth

Staff member
I don't think Berrigan has played well at centre. He did several seasons ago, but he hasn't really this year. Berrigan should be vying for one of two positions, along with Mara, Heremaia, Hohaia etc. I'd honestly rather have Moon at centre

Meth

Staff member
Unless Brown was carrying injuries there's no reason he should have been unfit to play the full 80 minutes. It was a reversion to a conservative approach and it didn't work.

If he's tired, you'd rather have him at centre anyway, wouldn't you?

hitman82

Bench
If he's tired, you'd rather have him at centre anyway, wouldn't you?
Definitely.

In my opinion, Cleary saw Berrigan as the "safe" option, without giving proper consideration to team dynamics.
This is all regardless of the fact that Berrigan wasn't ready for first grade.

Meth

Staff member
Which is where he went when he came on.

Yes, but I think he would have gone to the backrow had Berrigan not been struggling.

I think the plan was that Berrigan play most of the game at centre, Hohaia backs up Mara (](*,)) and Brown is a backrower

hitman82

Bench
Which is where he went when he came on.
Yes but that was obviously in response to Berrigan being ANNIHILATED at centre. I believe Brown was originally destined for bench second rower.

But the point is he shouldn't have been on the bench to start with.

Ah well, we won!! :crazy:

Izz

Bench
I found it interesting that instead of hooking Berrigan as soon as Brown came on, Cleary shifted him to the opposite side of the field.

Defended like crap over there as well, then got hooked.

I don't disagree that Berrigan shouldn't have played, but i do see Cleary's logic behind it, and feel it was a sound strategy, if not the best one.

hitman82

Bench
Yeah, dude when they moved him to the other side IMMEDIATELY the Knights shifted the focus of their attack and started carving him up over there.

Totally different topic but how good was Locke's offload from the ground? Reminded me hardout of Slater. But less gay.

Izz

Bench
Yeah, dude when they moved him to the other side IMMEDIATELY the Knights shifted the focus of their attack and started carving him up over there.
Maybe Cleary was being arrogant. 'Look, we can play a one-armed guy in the team and still beat you. Nyaaah!' :sarcasm:

Totally different topic but how good was Locke's offload from the ground? Reminded me hardout of Slater. But less gay.
Yeah. And his kick return to set up the winning try was great. 'Specially as he got smashed, but still fought for a quick play the ball.

ozenzud

Juniors
I think Manu (see above) would have the warriors playing a very structured, very composed St George like approach. Thats why he criticises Maloney and Hohaia.

But what happens now, with the video analysis and review, is that playing structured football week in, week out, means that teams can break you down, unless you have the best and biggest players. But by playing "ad lib with rules", teams can't shut you down. For example Benji plays ad lib.

Mateo is learning to play ad lib with rules. He and the team know when to chuck the speculators. Maloney is a tough little bas*ard and speed to burn. He is forming that combination and getting those half chances. Some days it won't come off, but joined with good defence, thats whats getting the results for the warriors now.

Locke, does he deserve the 3 points? I reckon he was ordinary till the 65 minute. Missed a tackle or two. His last 15 were excellent. But he is the type of player that should come into the game as the bigger players get tired.

Hohaia picked up two good tries. Hard to say he had a bad game. It was not a classic hookers game but he can sniff out a try.

Meth

Staff member
Locke, does he deserve the 3 points? I reckon he was ordinary till the 65 minute. Missed a tackle or two. His last 15 were excellent. But he is the type of player that should come into the game as the bigger players get tired.

Sure he does. He was our matchwinner.

I think yesterday was a day where the result validated the performance. If it weren't for the final 10 minutes, in which we won the game, the feeling on this forum might be one of frustration and dissatisfaction with the performances of several players

hitman82

Bench
I think Manu (see above) would have the warriors playing a very structured, very composed St George like approach. Thats why he criticises Maloney and Hohaia.

But what happens now, with the video analysis and review, is that playing structured football week in, week out, means that teams can break you down, unless you have the best and biggest players. But by playing "ad lib with rules", teams can't shut you down. For example Benji plays ad lib.

Mateo is learning to play ad lib with rules. He and the team know when to chuck the speculators. Maloney is a tough little bas*ard and speed to burn. He is forming that combination and getting those half chances. Some days it won't come off, but joined with good defence, thats whats getting the results for the warriors now.

Hohaia picked up two good tries. Hard to say he had a bad game. It was not a classic hookers game but he can sniff out a try.

Great post. Mateo has definitely found his role in the team and is now approaching offloading in a very mature way. I hope we keep this guy until the end of his career - he's exactly what we needed in our team of defensive second rowers and smallish props.

Hohaia's distribution was slow. Not because he lacks speed - because he WANTS to be a play maker. Instead of simply getting in and passing off the ground asap to the obvious choice, Lance is always looking for a halfback moment, the tricky play. Sometimes they come off but generally it's just slowing down our momentum. My crew and I all noticed the change in pace when Mara was at dummy half hurling bullet passes to the right man every play.

But I do like Lance and he backs up well in any position, scored two great tries. Just wish he would stop the f**king around in the ruck.

Latest posts