What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 - 2 - 1 vs Manly

hitman82

Bench
3 Hurrell
2 Mannering
1 Johnson

Thought Matulino and Lousi were great too.

I actually thought Matulino was a bit quiet.

Mannering was a beast though, particularly on smothering the ball carrier and stopping the offload. In reality he should have been in my 321.

Juju

Juniors
same. anybody know if that dude actually broke his leg?

Broken femur, dislocated hip.
That was scary $hit... Most insane half time entertainment ever. So surprised there weren't worse injuries...

Izz

Bench
Broken femur, dislocated hip.
That was scary $hit... Most insane half time entertainment ever. So surprised there weren't worse injuries...
Most of them managed to semi-level out for landing, but that guy fell like a pie. And he lay there for ages before anybody decided he needed medical attention.

Red Bear

Referee
Wouldnt panic over Locke just yet, showed some glimpses of his best (dangerous with the ball and great cover tackle on Lyon) but just had an off match, he'll be right.

Johnson was pretty impressive, again for the basic things he does well rather than just the flashiness.

Most of the forwards were pretty good, none had bad games.

Defence out left needs sorting out though.

As I said on the NRL board, need to sort out the long kicking game. Too many kicks straight to the fullback/winger.

Big year for you guys coming up, although from experience red black and white could be a curse

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Unfortunately I missed part of the game but I get the idea...honestly I think we need to make a call on Manu. Obviously I love him but....we have so many talented players inside him now, we don't need to rely on him to do it all himself, but it would be great to have a speedy winger who can actually catch the ball....Inu or Fish?

It basically sounds like we beat the premiers if Manu catches the ball.

Also, I've been saying it for 2 years and I'll keep going.....Maloney is f**king shit. He plays like a geniused slow-motion version of Lance Hohaia. No skill level or vision at all. How the numpty ever got raps on him is a f**king mystery, he'll be a liability all season.

devoid

Juniors
Wouldnt panic over Locke just yet, showed some glimpses of his best (dangerous with the ball and great cover tackle on Lyon) but just had an off match, he'll be right.

Johnson was pretty impressive, again for the basic things he does well rather than just the flashiness.

Most of the forwards were pretty good, none had bad games.

Defence out left needs sorting out though.

As I said on the NRL board, need to sort out the long kicking game. Too many kicks straight to the fullback/winger.

Big year for you guys coming up, although from experience red black and white could be a curse

I want to be a bear*

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
3. Hurrell. A monster. This guy may well piss it in for rookie of the year
2. Johnson. Apart from the attacking genius, defended well I thought?
1. Lousi. Unexpected, yet brilliant

Honouraries to Brown, Mannering, Packer.

End of the day, Ropati's woeful defensive positioning cost us two early tries and that was too hard to come back from/was the difference in the scoreline.

Micistm

Bench
3. Johnson
2. Mannering
1. Lousi

Not a bad game first up - plenty of room for improvement.

When you gift the Premiers 16 points start it is always going to be hard. JRo gone for mine - his poor defence cost us those early points. Hurrell & Inu next week please.

Same for me, JRo needs some Vulcans time. And hurts me to say it, so does Manu. He's such a likeable guy you don't wanna make the call, but the asset/liability scale is tipping too much negative now. When he made a mistake you do know he'll do good stuff to make up for it...now the mistakes are outweighing the good stuff too much.

hitman82

Bench
Same for me, JRo needs some Vulcans time. And hurts me to say it, so does Manu. He's such a likeable guy you don't wanna make the call, but the asset/liability scale is tipping too much negative now. When he made a mistake you do know he'll do good stuff to make up for it...now the mistakes are outweighing the good stuff too much.

Who would you replace him with?
That's a genuine question not a wind up. I agree Manu cannot be allowed to play like that (7 errors, 7 missed tackles) without consequences. But I cannot think of anyone to replace him.

If Ropati was in form/healthy, I'd say Inu to the wing. But we need the guy at centre now.

I know everyone loves to promote the Fish. But through the offseason he trialed and trained exclusively at fullback, FWIH. This means a) he isn't considered a wing possibility and b) he's not prepared for it.

ozbash

Referee
Who would you replace him with?
That's a genuine question not a wind up. I agree Manu cannot be allowed to play like that (7 errors, 7 missed tackles) without consequences. But I cannot think of anyone to replace him.

If Ropati was in form/healthy, I'd say Inu to the wing. But we need the guy at centre now.

I know everyone loves to promote the Fish. But through the offseason he trialed and trained exclusively at fullback, FWIH. This means a) he isn't considered a wing possibility and b) he's not prepared for it.

get Manu off the wing, not the team. He's another T-Rex.

maddest_kiwi

Juniors
3. Johnson (absolute freak)
2. Mannering (was every where)
1. Hurrell (rookie of the year coming up I think)

As for for Manu give another game to redeem himself.
As mentioned above... Who would replace him? No one...
Bluey's not dumping him yet... Listen to the interview with Veitchy.

Highflyers

Juniors
Agree with all comments above.. I didnt think much of Lousi but he was outstanding.. Everytime Hurrell ran with the ball i was on my feet.. Great to see him run into Watmough and put him on his bum!!

Ominous signs of better things to come this year. This is the first time for a long time i can remember that we attacked well at the start of the season.. Our Defence was good for Round 1, but our error rate was Shite! Problem is, our leaders (Manu etc) were the ones who created the errors. if we took all our chances i.e. knock ons when we at Manly try line we would have easily won that game... However manly took their chances and deserved to win..

One thing to note guys - we seemed a fitter side then manly and our attacking play was superior. Manly had a game plan and took full advantage... Cant wait for round 2, normally i sulk after a loss but not this time as I know there is better things to come...

JoeD

First Grade
What time was the interview, would like to hear it.

EDIT - don't worry, found it

Last edited:
Manu is due for another stint in the Vulcans, needs a bloody wake up call. What has he been doing all summer?

A shame Ropo got injured, would rather have Ropo in there instead of Manu next week, with Inu in by default. But will Manu even ever get dropped? At least with Ropo injured our best back (Inu) won't be playing reserve grade.