What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 cheers for Melbourne

Eddie.

Bench
Crowd - 6053, alright so if it wasnt raining you would get 8053, big diff:rolleyes:

I know i will get shot down for this but..

Having a team their appears a total waste of time. It is pathetic that after what, 7 years and 7 very successful years with several exciting players that they can barely ever draw about 10000 people to a game of rugby league.

Their crowds are showing no signs of improvment even though they won a premiership and have been consistently in the top 8 for the last 3 seasons. Not a single melbourne junior has come through the ranks, they simply do not care about league down their.

Numbers of teams i would have before melbourne in no order

Adelaide
Perth
Wellington
Central Coast

These places would not be averaging consistently under 10000 if they had teams as exciting and a succesful as the Storm.

Tell me things are going to change... Something about a new stadium, MNF could be a saviour. Doubt it though

Hoggy

Bench
mickdo said:
Didn't look like it on the replay

It was nine degrees and raining all day, if you see any snippets of the Richmond vs Essendon game at the MCG you'll see what we had all day.

It was f**king freezing tonight.

BTW, Canterbury got 7000 last week...are you suggesting they should be discarded?

Eddie.

Bench
Hoggy said:
It was nine degrees and raining all day, if you see any snippets of the Richmond vs Essendon game at the MCG you'll see what we had all day.

BTW, Canterbury got 7000 last week...are you suggesting they should be discarded?

Point taken about the weather. But its not like there were going to be over 10000 anyway if it was fine.

Canterbury average 18000 in terms of crowds and are running 11th
Wests Tigers average 17000 and are running 10th
Newcastle average 17000 and are running last by a distance

Melbournes poor crowds should not be excused anymore, the game seems to be making no in roads what so ever down their and there are places that would appreciate good, exciting rugby league that do not have an NRL team waiting in line.

Storm also play with practically ZERO PUBLIC EXPOSURE IN VICTORIA. Compare that to AFL who gets more pages in Sydney than rugby league in Melbourne.

We get league after midnight on 9 apart from the origin games and only two or three sets of ads in the Herald Sun a week. The current management is doing nothing to try and improve the crowd figures.

Unlesss you actually were looking for media coverage (print, radio, televised), you probably would miss it. :roll: try staying here for a week and you'll understand why League hasn't taken off.

NRL need to get off their asses and actually start promoting the game.

This is the first year Victoria has a participant in the Arrive Alive Cup through Bayside Secondary and league is just on its way up. Only just.

Look at how persistent the AFL are with the Swans. Everyone on this board keeps saying nobody cares about them in Sydney yet the AFL keep at it and after 20 years, 20 long years, they're getting 20K plus a game or so and a whole heap of undeserved coverage in the papers.

Origin 3 got just around 250K watching at home with delayed coverage.

As for tonight's game, it was 8-10º and raining all day, stopped just a couple of hours before the game. Enough to deter some people to go out to watch anything outdoors for two hours

Earl

Coach
hip hip hooray, hip hip hooray, hip hooray.

Melbournes football does the talking mate.

Thunderstruck said:
Storm also play with practically ZERO PUBLIC EXPOSURE IN VICTORIA. Compare that to AFL who gets more pages in Sydney than rugby league in Melbourne.

We get league after midnight on 9 apart from the origin games and only two or three sets of ads in the Herald Sun a week. The current management is doing nothing to try and improve the crowd figures.

Unlesss you actually were looking for media coverage (print, radio, televised), you probably would miss it. :roll: try staying here for a week and you'll understand why League hasn't taken off.

NRL need to get off their asses and actually start promoting the game.

This is the first year Victoria has a participant in the Arrive Alive Cup through Bayside Secondary and league is just on its way up. Only just.

Look at how persistent the AFL are with the Swans. Everyone on this board keeps saying nobody cares about them in Sydney yet the AFL keep at it and after 20 years, 20 long years, they're getting 20K plus a game or so and a whole heap of undeserved coverage in the papers.

Origin 3 got just around 250K watching at home with delayed coverage.

As for tonight's game, it was 8-10º and raining all day, stopped just a couple of hours before the game. Enough to deter some people to go out to watch anything outdoors for two hours

I ARGEEEEEE 100 percent and a million times over

Dog-E

Juniors
Hoggy said:

We are AVERAGING a tick over 18k per game tho....Even as badly as we've been going - and unlike most - our fans also TRAVEL really well - and often make as much noise as the Home fans wherevere we go!! LOL

There are extenuating circumstances in BOTH cases for the poor crowds for us & Melbourne mentioned above - this is a stupid thread, sorry....

Tamazoid said:
How can you seriously expect Victorian juniors already? The infrastructure didn't exist pre-1998!

The infrastructure didn't exist till we came back to olympic Park, Frank Stanton and Brian Waldron have done more than ever than what Ribot did.

For 6 years we had 1 ARL Person that goes out to the school, the last 2 years , we have had 3 and possable victoria might have 3 more.

Melbourne also don't have the luxury of opposition league fans travelling by the hundreds or getting the $8 entry by being a season ticket holder of certain teams. If I was in Sydney, I'd probably try to go to as many games as I can afford regardless of teams and I imagine some of you people in Sydney would too.

NSW has had nearly 100 years of rugby league tradition, Victoria has 7 with AFL entrenched over 100 years. How's that for comparison?

Dog-E

Juniors
Having experienced the crowd at Olympic Park - I can tell u Storm fans are die-hards - as passionate as ANY others in the game just about!...Sure teach a few Sydney clubs' fans something about supporting Rugby League!

I really didn't know JUST how bad they had it there....until I went over last year for the game where they broke our winning streak...also Storm ICON Steve Kearney's last home game...Big news, right??

I picked up the major tabloid the next day - Sunday Herald-Sun - and found several BRIEF paragraphs on the game - and a tiny B&W photo of Kearney walking off the field...a good 10-15 pages back from the main sports back page.

It's DISGRACEFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shadow grinder

First Grade
CHEER CHEER CHEER

f**k all you haters!!!!

im happy with the win..and hope we continue on good next week.

every year some twit brings up crap about the crowds....what thunderstruck said is 100% right.

the only reason people want storm out of the comp is because they cant hack being beat by a team from victoria.

babies

camsmith

Juniors
If the NRL spent HALF of what the AFL spends in Sydney (for AFL) to try and develop the game down here.. that would be a good start.

I went to the Essendon V Richmond game and sat out cold and rain... and it was pretty damn cold... no fairweather supporters would have turned up, same goes for the Storm game. Plus, we were playing Canberra... what an exciting team they are :|

Lets just see how many turn up V Roosters in two weeks time on a Sunday arvo.

( By the way, thanks for the 3 cheers for Melbourne.. they deserve it, solid win)