What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 cheers for Melbourne

oxenham

Juniors
The Norths/ Storm development schools/ systems rivals the Broncos and plenty of astute judges up north think surpasses the Bronco system.

shadow grinder

First Grade
Thunderstruck said:
Are you channeling undertaker mike? :lol: :lol: he's the only one I know who keeps spelling DJ's last name Johnstone despite several corrections :p

hahaha...mike is a funny guy.

" its johnstone , because his defence is ROCK solid" :lol:

southsman

Juniors
I was at the souths game and I'm sure they lied about their crowd figure. I support souths and if we can't pull thousand in a rugby league heartland then how can we criticise Melbourne??? I love the STORM in the comp and they should try harder promoting the Storm.

lotti

Bench
chemicalstorm said:
Perfectly feesable from a Sydney Girl, You tosser
I'm originaly from Melbourne and yet I'm a NRL fan. Delta's brother is hoping to play for the swans. Enough about Delts and me, how do you think we'll go next week?

iggy plop

First Grade
camsmith said:
If the NRL spent HALF of what the AFL spends in Sydney (for AFL) to try and develop the game down here.. that would be a good start.

I went to the Essendon V Richmond game and sat out cold and rain... and it was pretty damn cold... no fairweather supporters would have turned up, same goes for the Storm game. Plus, we were playing Canberra... what an exciting team they are :|

Lets just see how many turn up V Roosters in two weeks time on a Sunday arvo.

I'll back 9,000.

steaming stormer said:
He was never going to turn it around instantly...

Waldron knows nothing about league and whilst a CEO is there to run a business this is fundamentally penalising the club and it's supporters.

Eddie. said:
Point taken about the weather. But its not like there were going to be over 10000 anyway if it was fine.

Canterbury average 18000 in terms of crowds and are running 11th
Wests Tigers average 17000 and are running 10th
Newcastle average 17000 and are running last by a distance

Melbournes poor crowds should not be excused anymore, the game seems to be making no in roads what so ever down their and there are places that would appreciate good, exciting rugby league that do not have an NRL team waiting in line.

When we win the Comp it is just gonna be anotha wooden stake in your heart eh??? :lol: :lol: :badgrin:

iggy plop said:
No they didn't

agreed.

Perth and Adelaide were botched (halfarsed) attemps at Nationalising the game.

Pulling out of thise States did a huge amount of damage to the game respectabiltiy

dimitri

First Grade
UndertakerMike said:
agreed.

Perth and Adelaide were botched (halfarsed) attemps at Nationalising the game.

Pulling out of thise States did a huge amount of damage to the game respectabiltiy

i agree

killing the reds and the rams has done unbelievable damage

Surandy

Bench
shadow grinder said:
who needs delta when you got molly meldrum....lol

And Jana Pittman and Blair McDonough even AFL players like Brendan Fervola (sp?).

I'm not sure if Tamsyn Lewis counts herself as a Storm supporter or just a Billy Slater supporter. ;-)

gaterooze

Bench
Why should it matter to the rest of the league what Melbourne's crowds are? As long as they provide good competition, what else really matters? How exactly does it effect you personally?

The Storm themselves are the only ones disadvantaged by their low crowds -- if they can deal with it, then so should everyone else. i.e. shut up and worry about your own problems. Olympic Park is apparently as bad as the Sydney Showgrounds, where the Bulldogs average about 7,000, and the Bunnies struggle for that every week. The Raiders crowd average isn't far above the Storm either. But does anyone start calling those teams a waste of time?

Now, if the NRL actually did something about promoting the game down in VIC, things may change -- but then you'll probably be whinging about something else to do with the Storm, no doubt.

Melbourne wil be a tough nut to crack -- hell, it may take 20-30 years -- but once League is established there, they will be the one truly dominant football code in the country. If we give up on Melbourne, League will be as piss-weak nationally as the AFL fans claim.