What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 games in NZ, 3 games in AUS

knights 2004

Juniors
for next years tri-nations.
townsville and newcastle in the line for OZ games, with aussie stadium to host the final.

Copa

Bench
knights 2004 said:
for next years tri-nations.
townsville and newcastle in the line for OZ games, with aussie stadium to host the final.
Is this your proposal or did you read that somewhere?

brendothejet

First Grade
You'd have to go Suncorp, Telstra Dome, SFS.

All can be filled. Brisbane - Nothing else to do and they love their footy. Melbourne - Best city in the world at hyping up nothing events (i.e every round game of the AFL) and SFS can be filled with the simplest of marketing.

***MH***

Bench
I'd like to see
Aus vs GB in Melbourne
Aus vs GB in Brisbane
Aus vs NZ in Canberra

Canberra being the Nations capital, I have yet to see an International played there.... with a big Rugby following down there, I'm sure they'd drum up some Kiwi support.

Having the Final at Aussie Stadium would sell out if the games before it are held elsewhere!

colonel_123

Juniors
Traditionally don't the Storm tend to draw higher crowds when they play the Warriors?

Perhaps the NZ - Australia match should be played in Melbourne?

I wonder where NZ will look to take their allocation of matches.

If they are allocated three matches rather then two will they look to play a match at Wellington or Christchurch? If they are only allocated two matches will they want to play them both in Auckland in the hope of drawing a bigger crowd?

Aus vs NZ at Erricsson
NZ vs GB at North Harbour
NZ vs GB at Westpac or Jade Stadium

I guess it will probably come down which stadiums are willing to pay the most money for matches...

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I heard the Anzac Test was gonna be played in Melbourne.
Aussie Stadium would be good, just hope they can get a bigger crowd than Telstra.

Definately have Aus vs GB in Brisbane, the Poms always like holidaying in QLD and its a good time to do it as well. As much I'd like to have it in Sydney, I reckon Brisbane would have a bigger crowd.

If Newcastle had a match, it'll no doubt be a sell out, they love their Rugby League up there, same with Townsville.

"NZRL chairman Selwyn Pearson says for financial reasons, both tests against the Aussies could be played across the ditch. He says revenue gained from playing a test in Australia means it makes sense to play them over there."

So we could be only looking at 2 games at home, which reallys sucks!! Should the NZRL front up and splash out for the test against the Roos, I'd like to see one game down in Wellington, and 2 games at Ericsson. "IF" (big if) theres a GB Vs Kiwis final will it be brought back to NZ or staying put?

nqboy

First Grade
NZ have been talking about shifting one or more of their home matches to Australia if the price is right.

carlnz

Bench
We will get two Tests against GB and possibly one vs France in NZ.

One Test will be played in Otago, one in Wellington and one test in Auckland - this has all but been confirmed.

In 2007 we will get the ANZAC test (Auckland) then a Match against Australia in Wellington before the Kiwis depart on the all golds tour.

If NZRL does take one of the Kiwis match against Australia (which they will i have no doubts) that means we could have Four Test in NZ in 2006!!

I would set it out like this:

Kiwis vs Australia in Wellington (25,000 - 30,000)
Kiwis vs GB in Otago (10,000 - 25,000)
Kiwis vs GB in Auckland (20,000 - 30,000) and
Kiwis vs France in Manawatu (7,000 - 15,000)

I think all those crowds are very realistic, Otago is a funny one because you never can be to sure how many people will turn up! Manawatu needs a game because the amount of growth League has had, and plus it was 11 years ago France last play the Kiwis there in palmy.

knights 2004

Juniors
this is where i got the newcastle townsville thing

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/488122/630973

Venues to be set for Tri-Nations

Nov 23, 2005

Townsville and Newcastle are in line to host Tri-Nations tests next year after the Rugby League International Federation gave Australia and New Zealand co-hosting rights to the fledgling tournament involving Great Britain.

It's understood Townsville's Dairy Farmers Stadium and Newcastle's EnergyAustralia Stadium have been earmarked as venues for games.

New Zealand will host three matches with three played in Australia.

The final will be played at Aussie Stadium.

ARL CEO Geoff Carr told 2KY Radio on Tuesday there was a lot of confidence on both sides of the Tasman that there would be no shortage of bids from main stadia for round-robin games in the Tri-Nations series.

"New Zealand has got to play three games in it, so (they) are very confident that their stadia will be happy to bid for it," Carr said.

However agreeing on venues for the two round-robin matches between the host nations might cause some headaches, New Zealand Rugby League chairman Selwyn Pearson said.

"We'd push for one each of the Australia-New Zealand games but of course it gets down to the underwriting and those sorts of things," Pearson said.

"Obviously we make a heck of a lot more money in Australia than we do here so that would have to be looked at as well."

The Tri-Nations schedule is likely to be finalised in February.

Australian coach Wayne Bennett was thrilled with the Federation's decision after consistent rumblings that the Tri-Nations, which he was heavily involved in getting started, could be dumped.

"We (rugby league) need it so badly," said Bennett, after he was named International coach of the year at the Golden Boot awards dinner where Australian fullback Anthony Minichiello was recognised as the world's best player in 2005.

"I thought they may pull the plug on it. I'm elated," added Bennett.

Concerns for the future of the tournament surfaced when host Great Britain was dumped from the final meaning it would not return the same profit as last year when the Lions played Australia in the final.

At a meeting in Leeds on Monday, the Federation appointed two working parties to examine a number of issues and report back with their findings on Friday.

Concerns over a loophole that allowed Newcastle star Andrew Johns and other NRL stars to register and play in two different competitions at the same time were also raised at the meeting.

But it was agreed to allow each nation to formulate its owns rules.

The Federation also stayed out of the criticism levelled at its international judiciary system in the wake of the Nigel Vagana tackle that left Great Britain half Paul Deacon with a double facial fracture requiring surgery.

But Carr said the meeting had resolved that the NRL would share with the English Super League the data that its judiciary uses to ensure consistency between rotating members, in the form of recorded footage of benchmark graded offences.

"We want to share what we do with them so we can make sure that between the countries we have a similar view," Carr said.

I think it is crazy to play a game in Melbourne and risk a small crowd when there are so many other venues which could get good crowds.
Also playing the final at Aussie is a much better option than at Telstra, where even 40,000 looks like a small crowd.

colonel_123

Juniors
Unknown Pleasures said:
I think it is crazy to play a game in Melbourne and risk a small crowd when there are so many other venues which could get good crowds.
Also playing the final at Aussie is a much better option than at Telstra, where even 40,000 looks like a small crowd.

I'm pretty sure Melbourne was top flight Rugby League matches as an incentive to the Victorian State govt. to build the new stadium at Olympic Park even though the Melbourne Super 14 bid had failed.

***MH***

Bench
Melbourne might be a risk to some but a wise investment for others, in the long run league will get the support that it deserves in Victoria.

phonetic

Juniors
I think they'd have little trouble getting a crowd to a one off test in Melbourne, especially given that no AFL is there to compete.

It's all about the way they go about it.

ali

Bench
colonel_123 said:
I'm pretty sure Melbourne was top flight Rugby League matches as an incentive to the Victorian State govt. to build the new stadium at Olympic Park even though the Melbourne Super 14 bid had failed.

Yep, this is the only certainty about the 2006 tournament at this stage.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Melbourne might deserve it, but Newy and Townsville deserve it more. In both cities, a crowd of at least 28k can be expected. Move 'em to Sydney or Brisbane and you'd barely get 10 000 more.

Sydney and Brisbane get Origin anyway - as do Melbourne next year. So by playing tests at Townsville or Newy, you consolidate the sport in areas where other codes are too stupid to bother about.