What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 year deal likely for Manu

Rich102

Staff member
Just days after joining the 200-game club and setting an all-time try-scoring record, Manu Vatuvei has extended his Vodafone Warriors career to a record 15 seasons with a new three-year contract to the end of the 2018 NRL campaign.

The 29-year-old left wing, now in his 12th consecutive NRL season, will make his 202nd appearance when the Vodafone Warriors face the Gold Coast Titans in the club’s first-ever Anzac Day match at Mount Smart Stadium on Saturday (1.45pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Canterbury of New Zealand).

Today’s contract announcement follows Vatuvei’s memorable 200th appearance against Wests Tigers at home on April 11 when he scored two tries in the 32-22 win to equal Nigel Vagana’s record for the most tries in the NRL by a New Zealander (140).

Last Saturday he claimed the record outright with his 141st try – and his sixth in seven games this season – in the heartbreaking 24-28 loss to North Queensland.

“I’m so grateful to the club for giving me the chance to stay here this long,” said Vatuvei.

“My manager Pete (Peter Brown) looked at some other options including rugby union but I wanted stay to at the Vodafone Warriors. It has always been my vision growing up at the club to be a Warrior for life.

“I want to thank everyone who has helped me along the way, the players, the coaches, the staff and all the members and fans who have given me so much support through the years.

“I’m really pleased to have this contract and I’ll do everything I can to repay the faith the club has shown in me.”

Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said it was critical the club retained Vatuvei.

“Manu is so important in an all-round sense to the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.

“He’s exceptionally popular with everyone inside and outside the club. We value what he means for us and what he also means to rugby league.”

Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden said Vatuvei’s new contract takes him to the next level among NRL players.

“It’s a tribute to Manu and a reflection of the regard we hold him in that he is set to extend his career to 15 seasons. That’s an exceptional achievement,” he said.

“He is hugely important to our side and to the club as a whole. The contribution he continues to make is outstanding and he has certainly started this season very well.”

Only two other players match Vatuvei’s feat of representing the Vodafone Warriors in 12 NRL seasons – Stacey Jones (1995-2005 and 2009) and Jerome Ropati (2003-2014) – while captain Simon Mannering is in his 11th season.

Vatuvei’s try-scoring strike rate is among the best for long-serving players in the game with 141 in 201 games including an impressive 27 in his last NRL 32 games. He now needs only four more tries this year to complete the unprecedented feat of scoring 10 or more tries in 10 consecutive seasons.

He scored two tries in the Kiwis’ victory in last year’s Four Nations final against Australia to overtake Vagana’s record for most Test tries for New Zealand (20 in 27 Tests).

Vatuvei won the NRL’s Favourite Son award last year. At the Vodafone Warriors’ annual awards he was named the SKYCITY players’ player of the year as well as the Canterbury of New Zealand club person of the year. He was also a finalist for the NRL’s Ken Stephen Medal.

Season-by-season breakdown:

2004 - 5 games 0 tries
2005 - 12 games 9 tries
2006 - 18 games 10 tries
2007 - 23 games 10 tries
2008 - 17 games 16 tries
2009 - 19 games 13 tries
2010 - 19 games 20 tries
2011 - 19 games 12 tries
2012 - 20 games 12 tries
2013 - 19 games 16 tries
2014 - 23 games 17 tries
2015 - 7 games 6 tries

MANU VATUVEI

Born: March 4, 1986
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Position: Wing
Height: 189cm
Weight: 108kg
Junior Club: Otara Scorpions (Auckland)
Other Clubs: Otahuhu Ellerslie (Bartercard Cup), Otahuhu (Auckland)
Vodafone Warriors No: 115
NRL Debut: Vodafone Warriors v South Sydney, Aussie Stadium, May 23, 2004 (Round 11)
NRL Career: 201 appearances for Vodafone Warriors, 2004-2015
NRL Points: 564 (141 tries)
Kiwi No: 720
Test Debut: v Australia, Sydney, October 15, 2005 (Tri Nations)
Test Career: 27 Tests for Kiwis 2005-2014
Test Points: 80 points (20 tries)
Other Teams: NRL All Stars 2010, 2012, 2015; All Golds 2008
Educated: Sir Edmund Hillary College (Auckland)

Warriors club announcement.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Before I go on, brilliant. Didn't bear thinking about losing the heart and soul of our team.

I read somewhere that the club were trying to squeeze him on a 2-year deal. Not happy if that was true.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I think for the team a 2 year deal would've been ideal but he's definitely earned a 3 year contract, will go down as a club legend and even though he's past his prime nobody else is really putting enough pressure on him to take his spot.

Izz

Bench
I for one think he's just entering his prime. Looks as fast and fit as he's ever been, is playing with more maturity. He'll only be 32 once this deal is up, too. Could even go around a year or two more after that.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I think for the team a 2 year deal would've been ideal but he's definitely earned a 3 year contract, will go down as a club legend and even though he's past his prime nobody else is really putting enough pressure on him to take his spot.

Yeah in an ideal world you'd give him 2 I suppose, but a man of his distinction deserves 3. It would be enough to make me find a new team if they offered him 2 only and he said bugger it I'm off to Europe.

His body isn't getting too banged up so I'm hopeful he's got a couple of years after this contract. Not interested in this forwards business either, there's hardly a better, more consistent try-scorer in the comp. In fact there's none with his longevity.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If he stays injury free the whole time he definitely ends up top 5 on the all time try scorers list (Irvine 212, Menzies 180, Slater 170*, ET 165, Lamb 164)

ozbash

Referee
Vodafone Warriors managing director Jim Doyle said it was critical the club retained Vatuvei.

“Manu is so important in an all-round sense to the Vodafone Warriors,” he said.

Manu is the Warriors at the moment, he is the most positive thing about the club.

JJ

Immortal
And, his record is superb - he is legitimately one of the great wingers of that competition - from memory only Brett Stewart has a better strike rate of those playing now that have played a reasonable amount - and at a guess only Irvine from that list of the top tryscorers ever would have a better strike rate... Slater must be close, I guess...

Anyway, he's not just a great Warrior, he's a great wing - full stop... I am sick of hearing about the occasional f**k up (many years ago, I was guilty but he really has become consistently excellent) , and one or two games... and as above, he's better that ever, and not old, and no sign of injuries impairing him (touch wood) - 3 years is a good bet, and if he keeps it up he could have another couple on top, if he doesn't want to cash in overseas

One Warrior

Bench
This is awesome news, Manu is a legend, Manu is the Warriors as Stacey was 10-12 years ago and widely liked and respected throughout the NRL.

WithTheDawn

Juniors
Great news, onya Manu. Total club legend. Hope he just plays out his whole career here. For a player that used to be lambasted for his poor handling, he has really come right in recent years and turned into one of our most solid, dependable players.

MKEB...

Staff member
Great news. Not much gives me more joy than belting out MANUUUUUUUUUU at the top of my lungs when he goes over for a try.

God-King Dean

Immortal
There's no other player I'd rather have, to get my team out of trouble. Runs 10+ metres nearly every hitup. Probably my 3rd favourite ever winger.

Great player.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
So running the numbers on his career up til now and what he's got left in front of him:

He has a possible 89 regular season games to play, assuming he doesn't cop any serious injuries and hoping that we'll play some finals matches too, you'd think he'll play at least 60 of those, so he'll finish with 250+ games, maybe nearer 275. If he continues scoring tries at the same rate as the last few seasons, he'll score another 46 or so tries, meaning he'll finish with close to 190, likely putting him 3rd on the all-time list- only Ken Irvine's record of 212 looks out of his reach, though I'd say that Billy Slater will probably also finish with more as he's already on 170. It'll also mean he finishes his career with somwhere close to 750 points for the Warriors, putting him ahead of Stacey Jones as all-time highest point-scorer for the club, though you'd assume that SJ would've gone past both of them by that time if he stays as well. Thats going to be some career record.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Great news. Not much gives me more joy than belting out MANUUUUUUUUUU at the top of my lungs when he goes over for a try.

This! My favourite past time when attending a game.

A really smart football/business decision by us. Could have been catastrophic if he was disrespected. Will go down as one of the top 2 warriors of all time by the time he retires. Need more players to hit his level each week

Latest posts