What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test Squad - Who is Michael Beer?

aqua_duck

Coach
People don't rate Smith as a frontline spinner, yet this shield season, Smith has 10 wickets at 31 in 3 matches, Beer has 11 wickets at 39 in 5 matches.
Also Trentb Copeland must be knocking on the door, in 5 matches this season he's taken 24 wickets at 20 a piece

Pete Cash

Post Whore
I think the may play all four quicks and have smith toss down some spinners. what a weird selection though. seriously head scratching.

_snafu_

Immortal
Warnie says Beer is good - unfortunately Warnie was talking about his Crownie and the selectors thought he was talking about Michael.

chefman21

Juniors
He's a toiler who can bowl long periods, has local knowledge and is pretty tight for a spinner. Gets good bounce. Not a bad selection I must say. But not a great selection either. Probably would've stuck with Doherty or brought in Hauritz. I think O'Keefe needs to be making the NSW side regularly before being considered.

Gidley Up

Juniors
0.jpg

Australian Public: We would just like Stephen O'Keefe.
Selectors: Beer it is.
Australian Public: No, O'Keefe.
Selectors: Beer?
Australian Public: O-Keefe.
Selectors: Be-er?

imgres

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
0.jpg

Australian Public: We would just like Stephen O'Keefe.
Selectors: Beer it is.
Australian Public: No, O'Keefe.
Selectors: Beer?
Australian Public: O-Keefe.
Selectors: Be-er?

imgres

thats classic

there isnt a situation on earth that cant be made into a simpsons quote

Aaron_sfas

Juniors
very happy smith is in the team.

Beer... never seen him bowl... but my opinion is that hauritz is our best spin option. his test record:
Bowling: 34.98
Batting: 25.06

i find it hard to believe players who can't even match those figures at state level are getting the nod ahead of him. Haury is no world beater, but he's solid

I wouldn't be surprised if Beer doesn't get selected at all and they go with 4 quicks, Watson and Smith which is probably best IMO.

Hughes
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Smith
Haddin
Johnson
Siddle
Harris
Hilfenhaus

I can see that side being named.

aqua_duck

Coach
4 quicks with smith, Watson and maybe Clarke IMO is the best recipe. Hate this fascination they seem to have with left arm orthodox atm

Panther_Daz

Staff member
I agree, it will be 4 quicks and Smith will bowl some overs.

Beer will carry the drinks.

aussies1st

Staff member
Main problem I have with the 4 seamers is Johnson and Siddle in the same side together. They both have had train wrecks together and the opposition scoring rate just flies along. Copeland would have been a better pick than Siddle or Johnson, he would have kept it tight at the very least and picked up some wickets.

Bman26

Juniors
Trent Copeland. 24.

Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
First-class
9 18 2340 1035 57 8/92 10/149 18.15 2.65 41.0 2 4 1

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
What annoys me is why do we wait to now to go with absolute left field hit or miss selections. I know BEer hasnt been playing state cricket but really in many ways every series builds to this and weve had 2 years, 4 since Warne retired to keep pushing for spinners and we we wait to the 1st ashes test to start with Doherty who had been around for 7 years, and the third test to bring in a rookie.

Hard to think in four years weve gone from Warne to Macgill to Hogg to Casson to White to Krejza to Hauritz to McGain to Hauritz to Doherty too Beer, while in amongst that Cullen and Holland have played International Cricket.

I dont expect Beer to play in Perth, but if he doesnt then surely hed be the spinner named on boxing day.

Captain BF

Juniors
What the hell has Johnson done to 'win' back his spot in the team? Has he even played a game for anyone since being dropped?

Not surprised North was dropped.

Dissappointed Doherty wasn't given an extended run the team. Although, i don't think it's going to matter which spinner is in the team untill Ponting either retires or hands the Captaincy on to someone who has more of an idea how to set a field for spinners. Or at least a spinner who is strong enough in his convictions to set his own field settings like Warne & Macgill did.

I also think it will be the four quicks and Smith to bat at 7.

Didgi

In the quest for the next Warne, perhaps someone should point out to the selectors Warne was a right arm legspin bowler. Not left arm straight breaks.

Latest posts