What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations Final - Australia vs England

skeepe

Immortal
Aside from prop, wing and centre, Gidley has played every position for his club. Name me one player in the world who has played positions 1 - 13 at the top level? No player can say they are familiar with every position on the paddock so expecting Gidley to be an expert in them all is f**king laughable, even coming from you.

And noone has said he "did well for being out of position" either, what was said is he played well despite playing in a unfamiliar position. That's what makes him a good utility, one of only 2 left in the comp, the other being Lewis whom I rate highly but you throw him in at hooker and he would certainly also play well despite being in an unfamiliar position yet most call him a great utility even though he is certainly no expert in the 1-13 either.

Gidley is an awful half or five-eighth, an even worse hooker and simply cannot play backrow, lock or prop. You said yourself he's never played wing or centre, so that just leaves fullback where he's any good.

Kurt Gidley has never, ever, EVER put in a good performance when he wasn't playing fullback. That's not a utility, that's just someone who has been extremely lucky that he has a famous surname and plays for the "right club".

Joker's Wild

Coach
plays for the "right club".

And here is the crux of your issue with Gidley. Try to pretend otherwise mate but your Newcastle hatred is well known and you are completely incapable of saying anthing positive about anyone who plays in the blue and red.

I know its tough for you little fella but I dont hold it against you, you're simply lacking in anyother way to function.

j0nesy

Bench
Gidley is an awful half or five-eighth, an even worse hooker and simply cannot play backrow, lock or prop. You said yourself he's never played wing or centre, so that just leaves fullback where he's any good.

Kurt Gidley has never, ever, EVER put in a good performance when he wasn't playing fullback. That's not a utility, that's just someone who has been extremely lucky that he has a famous surname and plays for the "right club".

Jeez let it go already. Gidley was not THAT bad at centre, in fact he was reasonably good. This is not backyard football we're talking about here, this was a tough game of international rugby league. I'm not a Knights fan, but I've seen him play plenty of excellent games at 5/8th.

I'm happy to admit that he wasn't good in the other Tri Nations matches, but you're making out as if he is the worst player ever to pull on a Kangaroos jumper. This cannot possibly be true given that Daniel Wagon has also played for Australia.

Last edited:

Charlie124

First Grade
I know you hate the Knights but there was no way he was woeful, he was solid at very worst he got involved, defended strongly and set up a try with a nice kick, he made one error Thurston made about 5 and got MOTM, he was more effective and more of a threat then Hodges was all tournament.

According to nrlstats.com Thurston didnt make any errors, let alone 5.

wiganjohn

Juniors
Well played Australia, you were the better team.
I thought it was pretty even for 60 mins but then your extra 10% of skill/fitness payed off.
We will keep coming back and trying again, hopefully we will make up that 10% gap there is between your game and ours.

j0nesy

Bench
I thought it was pretty even for 60 mins but then your extra 10% of skill/fitness payed off.
We will keep coming back and trying again, hopefully we will make up that 10% gap there is between your game and ours.

I think the gap isn't as big as some people are making out. I just think you guys picked too many big forwards in attempt to bash Australia out of the game, and arguably the competition in the early stages. To an extent one could argue that it almost payed off. The problem is that it is hard for these big lads to put in for 80 minutes, several weeks running. IMHO, and it is very humble, Smith should have saved this as a surprise tactic for the final. The question is I suppose - could England have got past NZ without some of their big boppas? Probably too much of a gamble.

typicalfan

Coach
According to nrlstats.com Thurston didnt make any errors, let alone 5.
Yes and although he may have had less assists it was his try assist that broke the back of the English with the pinpoint kick for Morris. Before that the game was in the balance

Simo

First Grade
Aside from prop, wing and centre, Gidley has played every position for his club. Name me one player in the world who has played positions 1 - 13 at the top level? No player can say they are familiar with every position on the paddock so expecting Gidley to be an expert in them all is f**king laughable, even coming from you.

And noone has said he "did well for being out of position" either, what was said is he played well despite playing in a unfamiliar position. That's what makes him a good utility, one of only 2 left in the comp, the other being Lewis whom I rate highly but you throw him in at hooker and he would certainly also play well despite being in an unfamiliar position yet most call him a great utility even though he is certainly no expert in the 1-13 either.

Im pretty sure Jason Crocker has played every position bar hooker.

strewth_mate

Bench

<weary_sarcasm>Why are we talking about a game of football in the Gidley thread?</weary_sarcasm>

user_nat

Coach
Yes and although he may have had less assists it was his try assist that broke the back of the English with the pinpoint kick for Morris. Before that the game was in the balance

I thought that was Lockyer..?

Or maybe that was one of Morris' other tries.

8Ball

First Grade
Gidley did his job, but he still shouldn't have been in the starting 17. Lewis would have handled centre just fine.

renouf

Juniors
cant believe lockyers stats, they were amazing..

8 runs, 80 metres, 4 try assists,2 linebreaks and 20 tackles..talk about good work going unnoticed..

Hes good.. with class players around him there is no better player in the game, and people still think hes past it.. what a joke. If the hogs (ie thurston/smith) had given him just a little more ball in last years final we would have never lost that game..

Raiders supporter with a chip on his shoulder = skeepe. We in Newie won't lower ourselves to your gutter mouth level.

Last edited: