What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations game 6 - wales v australia

adamkungl

Immortal
Need more born and bred Welsh boys getting a gig in the Super League. This will improve over the next few years. More games for every developing nation - if someone has the choice between Wales and England, make sure the incentive is there to play for Wales.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Sorry, there is no way I can agree with that statement. These teams are lacking much more than just mental conditioning. I wish that were the case but it is clearly not.
Yeah, they are also obviously lacking quality and depth in terms of personnel to be a genuine threat. But mental conditioning is the thing that is stopping them from competing for 80 minutes and being able to give the big teams a scare. We saw today that Wales were the better side for 37 minutes, and France were the better side for 70 minutes against England, so they are clearly capable of matching it with the best. Alright, Australia and England were clearly not firing on all cylinders in those games. But when you consider that in 2003, Wales were beaten 74-4 by Australia and France lost to BARLA, it's no surprise that they aren't serious contenders yet. If they continue to be exposed to this sort of environment, then it won't be too long before they are fully competitive and have the potential to pull off an upset.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yeah, they are also obviously lacking quality and depth in terms of personnel to be a genuine threat. But mental conditioning is the thing that is stopping them from competing for 80 minutes and being able to give the big teams a scare. We saw today that Wales were the better side for 37 minutes, and France were the better side for 70 minutes against England, so they are clearly capable of matching it with the best. Alright, Australia and England were clearly not firing on all cylinders in those games. But when you consider that in 2003, Wales were beaten 74-4 by Australia and France lost to BARLA, it's no surprise that they aren't serious contenders yet. If they continue to be exposed to this sort of environment, then it won't be too long before they are fully competitive and have the potential to pull off an upset.

It is not rocket science. The improvement by Wales and France can be put down solely to the fact they have greater professional depth now than in 2003. Both nations had been playing tests for yonks before 2003, exposed to the so-called test environment.

Implement quotas in the ESL/NRL to get more of these guys in there and then they will become competitive rather than the 4th wheel.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Implement quotas in the ESL/NRL to get more of these guys in there and then they will become competitive rather than the 4th wheel.

This will never work nor would any of the clubs in either comp allow it to be implemented.

A spot in a squad should go to the most deserving players based on their ability, not their nationality.

Clubs should be doing more to scout out talent in these areas but they shouldnt be forced to have a certain number of players from a certain area in their side if more talented ones from outside those areas have to miss out

Jason Maher

Immortal
Just been reading up on the anti-siphoning list, and it appears that because the broadcast rights currently owned by channel 9 were acquired before January 1 this year, they are not covered by the new list/scheme. Which basically means they are not forced to show any matches to which they own the rights, or pass the rights on to someone else who will (the requirement that will apply to Tier A events under the new scheme).

Anyone able to clear this up?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Just been reading up on the anti-siphoning list, and it appears that because the broadcast rights currently owned by channel 9 were acquired before January 1 this year, they are not covered by the new list/scheme. Which basically means they are not forced to show any matches to which they own the rights, or pass the rights on to someone else who will (the requirement that will apply to Tier A events under the new scheme).

Anyone able to clear this up?

I just read that apparently the old list had the same thing in regards to matches involving Australia being played in Australia, NZ or the UK.

JasonE

Bench
Just watched the game, i think Kopczac the Wales prop has been the standout prop in the whole tournament so far.

franklin2323

Immortal
Wow. Wales are on the way up good stuff. Give them 2 years more development could be a in for a great WC. Hopefully a European Cup next year.

OK UK based forummers. I see a good chuck have signing with ESL Clubs. How much chance does Flowers, Kear etc have of getting decent game time? We need that for them to develop

Mullins!!!

Juniors
It wont happen but I'd love to see two 4 nations next year France, Italy,Wales and Scotland and in the southern hemisphere PNG, Figi, Samoa and Tonga...Screw the Cooks, they can have a 3 match series against USA :p

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
Take Briers out of that game and Wales drop a few points in quality overall. Geez he played well. I love seeing creative halves like that. Now that he is retired they are going to struggle without him, big time.

Take Briers out of that game and Wales drop a few points in quality overall. Geez he played well. I love seeing creative halves like that. Now that he is retired they are going to struggle without him, big time.
can't think of someone who will replace him in the short term he is a big loss but at least he will be part of the coaching staff, need to keep building next year, maybe a game or two against england and the european cup will have them ready for 2013.

WireMan

Bench
The next great Welsh player is Evans at Warrington, but the talk is he will play for England.

He would be better playing for Wales now IMO, he can always switch later...

Briers will be a big loss, especially as i can't think of who will replace him either (Helpful as always...). :D

The next great Welsh player is Evans at Warrington, but the talk is he will play for England.

He would be better playing for Wales now IMO, he can always switch later...

Briers will be a big loss, especially as i can't think of who will replace him either (Helpful as always...). :D
how about he just pick Wales and sticks to them surely Briers should encourage them to pick Wales as obviously they will be a big part of the future of Welsh RL and I'm sure Iestyn would welcome them in to the team.

I can't see any point in picking England anyway there are probably tons of English players better than the Evans boys, picking Wales will give them a lote more opportunities, with England they will probably at least have to wait another 5 years. As for Lee's replacement probably Danny Jones will move to standoff, Ian Webster or Steve Parry to halfback and Andrew Gay to fullback, for some reason I think that Andy Powell will join RL sometime in the near future and we might see a few other Welsh players switch codes but obviously the long term goal is to get another Welsh team in SL.

When and who that will be, I don't know but they need to make sure everything is in place for when it does happen I surely don't want to see them go down the same path as Crusaders

WireMan

Bench
how about he just pick Wales and sticks to them surely Briers should encourage them to pick Wales as obviously they will be a big part of the future of Welsh RL and I'm sure Iestyn would welcome them in to the team.

I can't see any point in picking England anyway there are probably tons of English players better than the Evans boys, picking Wales will give them a lote more opportunities, with England they will probably at least have to wait another 5 years. As for Lee's replacement probably Danny Jones will move to standoff, Ian Webster or Steve Parry to halfback and Andrew Gay to fullback, for some reason I think that Andy Powell will join RL sometime in the near future and we might see a few other Welsh players switch codes but obviously the long term goal is to get another Welsh team in SL.

When and who that will be, I don't know but they need to make sure everything is in place for when it does happen I surely don't want to see them go down the same path as Crusaders

He'd pick England because they are a better team, get bigger crowds and get to play in competitive games against the big teams.
You say there are probably tons of players better? I say your wrong. He will be replacing King in the Warrington first team and is going to be one of the best.

Andy Powell would make a lousy replacement for Briers... :D ;-)

One day they may get another team, but Crusaders has put that back 10 years IMO.

PARRA_FAN

Coach

Well its a shame we didnt see him much, (in Australia) for Wales.

That was an outstanding performance in a losing team, really gave it his all in a Welsh team.

I think it was him in 2000 that gave the Aussies a shock in the semi, after leading 20-8 at one stage.