What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40/20 the other one we all love

The Dodger

First Grade
the ref actually called it play of the ball and the commentary were sitting there asking how that could possibly be a play at the ball.

gould shiits me to tears.

im not too keen about the dominant and non dominant tackle. maybe because i dont understand it as much.

can someone explain that rule for me?

i understand the concept of it, but not the exact definition on how long a player is aloud to hold the tackle down on a dominant and so on.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dominant tackle is when the attacker loses ground towards his own line after meeeting the defense. then came Luke patton & the call lost his legs which is the same rule.

The defender then has until his defense is set to slow the play the ball. Subjective refs calls.

Frenzy.

Immortal
morri (cWo) said:
40-20 is 40 meters

Of course it is morri, glad you were paying attention :lol:

Doesn't change my point though, the other examples are 40 metres as well.

TheShiftyShark said:
Is it because with the 30/30,20/40 & 10/50, the target your aiming for would be bigger and therfore they would be easier to kick?

Maybe Shifty but I doubt it. The reason being is you are aiming for a line not a zone. It's a distance thing isn't it? The inverse of that point would be a 50/10 would be harder and with the others you mention you still have to kick the thing 40 metres.

Frenzy.

Immortal
blacktip-reefy said:
Dominant tackle is when the attacker loses ground towards his own line after meeeting the defense. then came Luke patton & the call lost his legs which is the same rule.

The defender then has until his defense is set to slow the play the ball. Subjective refs calls.

Wasn't only Luke Luganis though reef. Opes had a hand in killing it off as well with his diving into the tackle thing.

Chondricthyes

Juniors
40-20 is a skill.

Why drop a skill from the game?

The opposition knows its on so its a ahrder kick than norm.

But it only becomes a real test of skill if you only have one place to do it and everyone knows and can prepare.

Because we are crap at it doesn't mean its a bad rule.

We need a kicking coach or our kicking coaches need to be better.

Can't agree at all here Capt'n Frenzied Chaos. Especially the maths;-) .

Frenzy.

Immortal
Chondricthyes said:
40-20 is a skill.

Why drop a skill from the game?

The opposition knows its on so its a ahrder kick than norm.

But it only becomes a real test of skill if you only have one place to do it and everyone knows and can prepare.

Because we are crap at it doesn't mean its a bad rule.

We need a kicking coach or our kicking coaches need to be better.

Can't agree at all here Capt'n Frenzied Chaos. Especially the maths;-) .

I don't advocate dropping the skill. I advocate rewarding an equal to or better than skill such as a 50/10. Between the goal line and the 10 metre line from the 40 mtrs out is harder so if you're just outside the 40 and manage to get it into touch 9 metres out why shouldn't your team the feed then?

It's a tad illogical.

Surely

Post Whore
blacktip-reefy said:
these new style balls killed the torpedo.
they went with the leather. merkins of things.

Well they should bring back leather, 10,000 gimps can't be wrong.

Macca

Coach
The 40/20 isn't just about kicking the ball 40m and finding touch. It's a territorial thing. I like the rule the way it is. If you start having 30/30's or 50/10's where does it end? Are you going to ask for a 45/15? or a 35/25? Nuh. Keep it as anywhere inside your 40 to anywhere inside their 20.

chili pepper

Bench
CHAOS said:
We all know Gus claims ownership to this one but riddle me this Batfolk.

Why is a 40/20 better than a 30/30 or a 50/10 or even a 20/40 or 10/50

Same skill in kicking the ball out over a distance of 30 metres.

Exciting part of the game but me thinx this is another dumb rule. Especially if you are just outside 40 and kick it out inside 10 for example.

Cue to tonights test match....

Roberts produces a 38/10ish

Great kick that desrves a reward

This would open up a whole new dimension to the game I reckon - would teams (well those besides ours with quality kickers) be game to kick on tackles 1-3 deep in their own territory seeking territort & possession at the risk of handing the opposition a fantastic position for the start of their own possession.

Therefore do wingers need to stay deeper for the entie set, offering attacking options for teams (with halves able to) spread the ball wide and early to attack wide?

Exciting proposition I think - wake up NRL, for once Gould (are you sure it is Goulds and not Woks idea Frenzy?) is spot-on with his rule change proposition

chili pepper

Bench
Macca said:
The 40/20 isn't just about kicking the ball 40m and finding touch. It's a territorial thing. I like the rule the way it is. If you start having 30/30's or 50/10's where does it end? Are you going to ask for a 45/15? or a 35/25? Nuh. Keep it as anywhere inside your 40 to anywhere inside their 20.

Absolutely - what about a 0/40? That would be awesome. The skill is the same and the risk is even higher. if anything it deserves more reward. a 40+m kick should be rewarded regardless of the position of the field.

Quigs

Immortal
f**k all the new rules...

Lets play rugby league - not farkin home and away.

All these new rules sh!t me .... f**k it.

They ran George Longbottom out of souths because he didnt like training.... I think thats when the slide started.

The Ekka got the No1. .... started dropping a few fieldies .... then they had to change the rules... then this went with that .. that went with this.

I am now subjected to schoolmaster type whistleblowers bellowing dominant, surrender, "if you dont do something about it Brett then you know what I'll have to do"

Youse and youse rules and rule changes have farked up a great game....

and it was Clive Churchill's fault to for running Longbottom out of the game.

Cheers
Declared idiot #88 and Fat Controller
Quigs

Latest posts