What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4N: Is the demolition of PNG and the like good for the game?

adamkungl

Immortal
rubbish ... most of the people here think RL is THE game ... mostly because the impression you get from the local media (if you haven't lived for any time outside of NSW or QLD) would have you believe that to be true .

Just the same as Melbournites think AFL will not only takeover western Sydney but will soon be the code of choice across the galaxy .

Just the same as Americans are in love with NFL ... but the rest of the world thinks ... meh .

developing you say ? It's been 100+ years since the game started and it's barely moved an inch since ... in fact it's probably detracted because France & England used to be stronger 50 years ago .

When I was much younger I used to think RL was an international game too ... the Kangaroo tours and mid-week games against club sides in the UK were great stuff .

But go overseas , basically anywhere overseas , and not only does RL not get a mention but neither does Australia .

As you get older ( and hopefully wiser ) you'll understand that too .

:lol: you're an idiot.

mrpwnd

Bench
It's a good way to show these countries where they stand on the international scene.
In PNG's case, it shows them that they'll need a few lifetimes to reach proper standards.
Definitely not demoralizing at all.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
If you take 5 or 6 of the dozen or so professional rugby league players that PNG actually have out of their team they are going to lose to Australia and New Zealand horrifically every single time. We had semi-professional players - borderline amateur players from a third world nation - playing against the best professional rugby players in the world over the last couple of weeks. Only naivety would stop you from realising that they were going to get annihilated.

Until PNG have 20-25 full time professional players in Australia, New Zealand and Europe they are going to struggle. A full strength Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, Welsh or French team would of beaten PNG last night.

Phil Gould said that the best 30 juniors from the UK should be sent to Australia each year and I don't agree with that. But I do not understand why something like this could not be done with the best PNG youngsters. Rather than fanciful nonsense like an NRL franchise a system where every NRL club must take on 2 PNG youngsters for their NYC team should be the way forward I believe.

RedVee

First Grade
As long as players like Uate, Vidot, McGuire are forced to chose NSW/QLD rather than Tonga/Samoa, International RL will suffer.

Last night's ratings for the Bledisloe were lower than Aus v PNG in the four nations!

In many ways he was, due to the strength of SOO.

He was forced to choose by having to give one up. I know which I would take (SOO) and that doesn't make it right.

And for all those blokes claiming the rules are what make SOO great.... Lamb, Hunt, Carroll, Thorn, Inglis.

I find it just as disrespectful for a Uate to come along and can claim allegiance for NSW, when he really wouldn't fit into the definition for a lot of the guys who defend the rules definitions of a NSWelshman.

That goes for all the other islanders that jump on the SOO bandwagon and a forced to abandon their countries (Tuqiri, Jennings, Folau).

I don't mind them playing one bit. I do not like that they can't play for their own countries (especially when they are not pick for 1 of the big 3).

AFAIK Vidot, Jennings, Tuquiri, Folau are Australian. Do you propose that forcing them to play for their heritage nation is the way to do things?

If you take 5 or 6 of the dozen or so professional rugby league players that PNG actually have out of their team they are going to lose to Australia and New Zealand horrifically every single time. We had semi-professional players - borderline amateur players from a third world nation - playing against the best professional rugby players in the world over the last couple of weeks. Only naivety would stop you from realising that they were going to get annihilated.

Until PNG have 20-25 full time professional players in Australia, New Zealand and Europe they are going to struggle. A full strength Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, Welsh or French team would of beaten PNG last night.

Phil Gould said that the best 30 juniors from the UK should be sent to Australia each year and I don't agree with that. But I do not understand why something like this could not be done with the best PNG youngsters. Rather than fanciful nonsense like an NRL franchise a system where every NRL club must take on 2 PNG youngsters for their NYC team should be the way forward I believe.

Perhaps NRL clubs could take on PNG or other developing nations players salary cap exempt for a 2 year year stint, after that they go on the books. Someone would have to define "developing nation" and the player would need to be signed from that nations local comp,not be an Australian with a heritage qualification.

Perth Red

Post Whore
You know whats funny, is that i have not seen any negative press over here in NZ about the PNG loss. It seams only to be the Australian press thats quick to write off the international game.

That's because the Australian press take a perverse pleasure in bagging the game off full stop. In NZ and England the press has been good, in Oz its all about how the Int game is a joke and dying and a waste of time.

SteveM

Juniors
But they still are, by far, the most successful yawnion country in the world and have been so virtually since day dot.

Doesn't say much for union's alledged massive world following.

The only think that matters is the WC. NZ are chokers and actually finished 7th at the last WC.

Union does not have a massive world wide following. It's just many times the size of league world wide and RU actually has a plan for the future unlike league.

VonVolks

Juniors
why on earth people are saying PNG getting games and money is bad for RL I dont know.
As Hollywood says, some people seem to want instant results..... These things improve over the years, not days.

The Aussie getting their own refs is bad for RL, but thats another thread....