What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4N: Is the demolition of PNG and the like good for the game?

The 18th Man

Juniors
I have my thoughts, though what does the community think?

Can demoralising beatings by the likes of Australia and New Zealand be of any good to the game for the developing Nations who play our great game? What effects, detrimental or positive, can this have for International Rugby League? Will these lopsided wins to the stronger Nations slow the development of the game on a wider scale or play it's part in helping us grow as a code?

pcpp

Juniors
Maybe time to get that Combined Pacific Nations team on track, especially if the PNGRFL continues to hold their national team hostage.

Radioactive Man

Juniors
What else can be done ? These are the first steps that have to be taken to develop international league, we can't get gloomy when heavy defeats are handed out.

Wilson1

Juniors
I have my thoughts, though what does the community think?

Can demoralising beatings by the likes of Australia and New Zealand be of any good to the game for the developing Nations who play our great game? What effects, detrimental or positive, can this have for International Rugby League? Will these lopsided wins to the stronger Nations slow the development of the game on a wider scale or play it's part in helping us grow as a code?

It provides a pathway for these nations to improve. The real development should come in the Pacific and European Cups where the nations are battling out against those of equal strength. The reward is then competing in the 4 nations.

PNG were probable lucky that they only had to play the Cook Islands in the final last year and lucky it was at home, too. In reality, PNG will never be a force at rugby league unless the government can provide some stability for the country.

Quidgybo

Bench
It's an argument you can't win. People cry out that the minor nations don't get enough matches against strong opposition. So we give them regular games against strong opposition and then people question if it's a good idea.

I think it needs to be long term holistic approach with regular internationals against both strong and peer opposition to allow the building of a stable core team, and a strategy for expanding the pool of top tier professional players available for selection.

And it needs to focus on certain strategic countries first (particularly France) before progressively moving focus to other promising candidates. Do a full court press (ie. permanent entry into the 4 Nations, multiple club sides in one of the two pro leagues) to develop a true fourth power rather than spreading our resources thinly and only managing to sustain a bunch of lesser powers that continue to get thrashed.

Leigh.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
International football is a joke. PNG's effort today was pathetic as far as international football is concerned.

The Kumuls are supposed toi be the #4 or 5 rated team in the world. Yet they get slaughtered by the Kiwis.

Lets forget about international rugby league. Its dead and buried as far as I am concerned.

The only thing that could make it worse if we smash the poms tomorrow. Forget about the Four Nations, its the biggest joke in the world. Next year lets go to the Tri Nations.

Springs

First Grade
I thought the Four Nations was a good idea, unless two if PNG's best players are injured, then their other best player is ruled ineligible, then due to ridiculous infighting a host of other players are excluded, then their coach leaves.

If PNG were as strong as they were in the World Cup or the Pacific Cup I'm sure they would have performed better.
But I must say, a Tri Nations where each team plays each other twice, plus games against PNG and others on bye weekends, looks good to me.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
To answer your question - its no good for the image of international rugby league but it won't effect PNG's love for the game. IMO a tri series is still the best way to go, with one off matches against the lesser lights exclusive to the tri series. For example next time the tri series is held in the northern hemisphere Australia play France, New Zealand play Wales and England play Ireland or Scotland in addition to their tri series game. In the southern hemisphere the same system applies but the lesser lights are PNG, Tonga, Samoa etc.
(I don't mean the big three play each of the lesser lights I mean they play one each).

adamkungl

Immortal
Lets forget about international rugby league.

You do that. The rest of us will keep supporting it, and the gradual improvement we're seeing (particularly in europe) will continue.

If PNG could get players into the NRL and a professional coaching structure they would improve enourmously. They have far greater RL playing numbers than NZ - taking advantage of that is the key.

Anyone who expected anything else from them in this tournament is delusional and a sook, especially considering the problems at the PNGRL and players being out.

Butters

Bench
Should be 5 nations with PNG and France permanent members of the comp.
That'll give both nations a regular amount of tests a year, none of this have a year off from the comp sh*t.
And at least one of them will win a game...

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
You appear to be a member who would "get" the point I am making as the other members have.

appearances can be deceiving mate.

Apart from a lot of fundamental mistakes last week, PNG held their own against a pro team..

Today they got spanked by the best in the world...

The 18th Man

Juniors
Short term, the beatings sting and short sighted media types with an agenda will use these type of results to further lay the boot in to our game. The people of PNG will be disappointed by equally proud to see their boys competing against the best the game of rugby league has to offer. Just seeing their countrymen running out against their heros from the NRL and Super League will continue to inspire a generation.

Long term, this whole experience for PNG and the developing Nations that will follow their path in the Four Nations will be seen as the small steps that led to a better game Internationally. I'd like to think the NRL and Super League with the Rugby League International Federation's help will see it as a priority to continue to spend the time and money in helping develop these lesser Nations.

I love the idea from AlwaysGreen, outside the square ideas are to be encouraged and looked at as options when it comes to developing the likes of Samoa, Wales, Tonga, PNG etc.

The interest in the Tonga vs Samoa game and the PNG side should be heard loud and clear by the RLIF and immediately following the completition of the Four Nations, the RLIF should come up with a clear and cut policy on who can play for who and how you qualify for the Nation in question. No more Fien's playing for NZ, no more Lam's playing for QLD etc. Let's just come up with some hard fast rules and develop ways to further include players who miss out on Origin have their own in-season rep fixtures.

Last edited:

ozbash

Referee
No more Fien's playing for NZ, no more Lam's playing for QLD etc.

Thats really up to the games administrators..

once they get their sh*t together and actually do something positive for international footy internationally, we'll continue to see blowouts like tonight, 4-5 tier world comps and the sole emphasis on gate takings...

The 18th Man

Juniors
appearances can be deceiving mate.

Apart from a lot of fundamental mistakes last week, PNG held their own against a pro team..

Today they got spanked by the best in the world...

I don't need eduamacating on interpreting the score and what played out in that game Oz, though in my opinion the 42-0 scoreline as a whole is demoralising on a bigger picture short term for the PNG players and the country supporting them. Unlike what we would like to believe or perceive to know, the players take to the field expecting to challenge the "big boys". Their second to none enthusiasm outshines the inevitable outcome. But that's the beauty of the PNG people.

Your Australia vs NZ thing isn't missed, I just don't think it's relevant to this topic.

Edit: I might need edumacation in the ability to put a sentence together :lol:

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
I don't know what fans expected from PNG. They sacked Lam, basically told any eligible players that could play for them or another country to shove it and hired a coach without any NRL affiliation.

They'll grow from this PNG.

roughyed8

Juniors
Earlier in the year the All Blacks put 60+ and 40+ on Ireland and Wales respectively both top 10 rated teams in Union and filled with full time pro players, yet you dont get this kind of negativity from union fans or administrators, they look on it as a challange to raise their standards to that level, we should be looking at ways to assist PNG ect to raise their standards not just throw in the towel and walk away.