What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: England v India at The Oval Aug 18-22, 2011

Hallatia

Referee
starts on Thursday, there are dead rubber elements to it, but still a bunch of tasty elements to it too. I have a feeling Tendulkar will get his hundredth hundred this test and that Team India will not lose this match.

Trott and Tremlett have again been ruled out and Anderson is in serious doubt. Finn was already in the squad but now Onions has been called into the squad too lolOnions.

India have pride to play for and however aging, they still have a world class batting line up which should fire up.

Hallatia

Referee
Apparently Praveen Kumar is in doubt too now. I know this isn't saying much, but I think after ZaK got injured, PK has probably been their best bowler this series.

Red Bear

Referee
Could be a draw, oval pitch is usually a belter, Ramprkash just churns out endless runs down there

Hallatia

Referee
I tipped England to win this series 3-0 before it started, so I want this to be a draw just so I'll be right. I do believe Team India have a good chance of actually contesting this.

Hallatia

Referee
I disagree but
Shane Warnes predicts England will surpass best of Australian cricket
Peter Lalor The Australian
August 17, 2011 8:44AM

If the thought of England being the best in the world wasn't bad enough, now Shane Warne is predicting that its cricket team could be better than the Australian dynasties of the late 1990s and early 2000s.

"This current group of England players could become better than all those Australian players as a team and individuals," he wrote in an English newspaper.

"All the signs are good for England."

England humiliated Australia last summer, winning three Tests by an innings and the series 3-1.

The home side is leading India 3-0 in the current four-Test series, a result that has handed it India's No 1 place in the rankings.

England has won eight of its past nine Tests, four of those by an innings.

Warne went through the great Australian teams and the current English outfit place by place, and awarded four certain spots to England, but conceded three other players could make the cut.

He said opener Matthew Hayden would always win over Andrew Strauss when picking a side, but Justin Langer would lose his place to Alastair Cook.

"JL made 20 Test hundreds but Cook is a better player, who at 26 shows a desire for scoring runs beyond his years," he wrote.

Warne says Ricky Ponting is "one of the great players of the modern era" and would easily take his place at three ahead of Jonathan Trott, but at four it was impossible to separate Mark Waugh and Kevin Pietersen.

Surprisingly, the leg-spinner chose Ian Bell over Damien Martyn. He picked Steve Waugh over Eoin Morgan with reservations.

"In time Morgan, with his flair and imagination, could become a better, more attacking player," he wrote. "It is too early to judge, but the promise is there."

Warne also thought Adam Gilchrist would hold his place ahead of Matt Prior, but said that could change if the Englishman continued to improve.

The leg-spinner was more patriotic when it came to picking bowlers, including himself.

Warne opted for himself over Graeme Swann and said he would have the pace of Brett Lee in any side. He thought that Jason Gillespie at his best was as good as Glenn McGrath and his double hundred nudged him ahead of Stuart Broad.

He acknowledged that James Anderson was currently best in the world, but could not edge out McGrath.

Warne believes England can remain No 1 for some time to come.

"They have all the ingredients in place to dominate," Warne wrote.

"In Andrew Strauss and Alastair Cook they have solidity. Kevin Pietersen and Eoin Morgan add unorthodoxy, variety and quick scoring.

"The bowlers can stick to and execute plans brilliantly. But they also bat well. They score fast and their bowling has variety. James Anderson, Tim Bresnan and Stuart Broad are all good fielders too.

"There is no weak link. It is a great time to be involved in English cricket."

But Warne believes history will reserve its judgment on how good this current side is.

"England need to be as consistent over next two years home and away before they can be truly compared to some of the great sides, but the basics and the platform are in place," he wrote.

"The best Australian team I played in was probably during early 2000s. We had great individuals before, but as a team, the early part of the last decade was a special time."
Source

And as if you wouldn't have Anderson over Lee...

Matt23

Staff member
England to again get 700+ and bore everyone to tears in the process

Hallatia

Referee
People complained about England's second innings batting in the last test, but I enjoyed watching it. Would have enjoyed it more if the bowling was better, but we can't have it all.

Hallatia

Referee
India could bat first and make 700+ runs and then England could return serve and before you know it, it's the end of day 5 and the second innings hasn't started yet despite there having been no delays.

That mightn't be good viewing, but I think it would be funny and doubt it has ever happened before and would therefore like to see it. I don't think there is any likelihood of it happening, but even just seeing how the press respond to it would be hilarious.

Also England could be without Anderson and Tremlett and I don't fancy Broad as a guy who can lead the pace attack despite his recent form.

Hallatia

Referee
toss isn't for another 5 minutes, but news from the ground is that Jimmy Anderson is fit and will play.

Hallatia

Referee
England won the toss and elected to bat. Praveen Kumar is out injured and RP Singh comes into the side.

Game over:(

On the plus side, England win and South Africa remain number 2, India move to 3.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Could team india drop to no4 or even 5 on the rankings if we do well vs them and SA?

Man what a fall from Grace that would be in a short space of time

Hallatia

Referee
Could team india drop to no4 or even 5 on the rankings if we do well vs them and SA?

Man what a fall from Grace that would be in a short space of time
try this. It has not adjusted for this series yet, although you can give India more than one victory in this series, that will not offer you a legitimate possibility.

Hallatia

Referee
England 0/75 off 26 overs in the first session. India behind the overrate, Strauss and Cook haven't looked flashy or anything, but they have just cruised along. Sharma bowled a bouncer that broke Strauss's helmet which was cool.

I have no idea when play is likely to return :(

Tommy Smith

Referee
How awesome are England atm? And how imputent are India?!

But seriously, just on Ian Bell. Two years ago the guy was abit of a laughing stock. And now he's not far removed from being the best batsman, and best stroke player, in world cricket.

Good on him for finally realising his potential.

Latest posts