What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th test: England v South Africa at Old Trafford, Aug 4-8 2017

Tommy Smith

Referee
I couldn't agree more.

The only things stopping a 5 nil hammering are rain and/or winning the toss in Adelaide and Root/Stokes/Bairstow smashing big tons.

Todd Hoffman

Juniors
The best England could hope for is 2-2

But everything would have to go their way and they would need a bit of luck. Which I don't see.

They won't win in Qld, best they could hope for is a draw either because the pitch is road or the match is rained out.

Adelaide with the pink ball zipping around conditions could favour them with Anderson, Broad and Roland Jones seaming it. However going against them is they have never played a night test? we have and are undefeated with the pink ball.

I don't think they have won a test match in Perth since the 70's. No luck there.

Root would have to do something special in Melbourne or Sydney supported by Stokes and Cook. Throw in a lethal Broad spell (he usually does at least one of those a series) that could jag them a win. Its a big If though.

Thats a path that doesn't require them to be dominant but just have a few big moments.

Personally I think Stac will knock Cook over first over of the gabba test with a brute of a ball that will send shivers down the the England top 6 for the rest of the series.

jargan83

Coach
England are playing a Day/Night Test against the West Indies in the next couple of weeks.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
England's top order just isn't good enough to win out here, much better batting line ups have come out here and failed.

Their bowling will get wickets but their batsman just won't score the runs needed to trouble us.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Australia will be all over Root. If he struggles the rest of the top order will be in trouble.

Bairstow and Ali might add some useful runs.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Root playing from the crease = Brown town. He get get away with that on the low bouncing wickets in Pommy land if it bounces out here he could be in trouble.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think poms will do alright out here

Stokes got a test ton as a young bloke on his ashes debut last time around
Cooky will want to leave with some runs
Am expecting Root to get 2 centuries, maybe more
Adelaide test will bring the sides closer especially help their bowlers

Could be closer than what we think

King hit

Coach
I think poms will do alright out here

Stokes got a test ton as a young bloke on his ashes debut last time around
Cooky will want to leave with some runs
Am expecting Root to get 2 centuries, maybe more
Adelaide test will bring the sides closer especially help their bowlers

Could be closer than what we think

I'm quite worried about the Ashes. Feel Australia could be outdone in this series.

King hit

Coach
Wade will go down as the worst keeper to win an Ashes series. Even Jones didn't fumble as often as him.

JJ

Immortal
Root playing from the crease = Brown town. He get get away with that on the low bouncing wickets in Pommy land if it bounces out here he could be in trouble.
Yeah, what he needs to doo is flog through the line and he'll go ok, he can watch his good mate Davey

Home advantage remains important - but whether they fold on your flat tracks remains to be seen - both teams have some very fundamental weaknesses (as does everyone at the moment)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yeah, what he needs to doo is flog through the line and he'll go ok, he can watch his good mate Davey

Home advantage remains important - but whether they fold on your flat tracks remains to be seen - both teams have some very fundamental weaknesses (as does everyone at the moment)
The state of world cricket is pretty average atm, but it makes for some exciting series with no real outstanding side atm.

Bazal

Post Whore
A lot of the Poms seem to have a severe deficiency against quality pace bowling, bar Root and Stokes. And even they can look shaky as f**k, and Stokes likes to score quickly so he's always a bit loose. Obviously guys like Cook can play, and Bairstow is no mug either, but in terms of consistency and talent it's Root and Stokes without much firepower around them....if our quicks bowl well we'll win the series.

But I'm not confident we'll thrash them. Swinging pink ball at Adelaide is a danger for both sides really and if some of the grounds wheel out complete roads again it brings their batsmen right back into it...Cook, Root, Stokes, Bairstow, even Ali are good enough to get them to 500+ if they're batting on the F3. Only takes a collapse at Adelaide and a bad bowling day on a road somewhere else to turn the series into a very close one.

JJ

Immortal
The state of world cricket is pretty average atm, but it makes for some exciting series with no real outstanding side atm.
Yep - agree 100%

Most are pretty good at home, most have one or two world class players, plus a few more that are very very effective at home... but there's only one GOAT, and only one Mathew Wade!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep - agree 100%

Most are pretty good at home, most have one or two world class players, plus a few more that are very very effective at home... but there's only one GOAT, and only one Mathew Wade!!
Nah Moeen Ali is the GOAT!! Owning all comers.