What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4WD enthusiasts?

legend

Coach
Are there any here and if so, is anyone interested in a trip over the off-season?

I've just bought the new Nissan Pathfinder and I'd love to take it off road soon but I'm not sure where to go. I was thinking Anna Bay in the sand?

Any takers?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
I would do a search for any number of 4wd clubs that operate in Sydney. Most are aligned to a particular brand but happily accept other owners. They provide training which is enormously helpful if you intend serious off roading. They organise trips away too and provide assistance if you get stuck.

My biggest tip is take your time and have a good look at any dodgy terrain.

legend

Coach
I've read that stuff in 4C and I'm not phased by it. I am scared though as I think Millers has a Pathfinder as well.

A mate of mine is in the Subaru club and they seem to be well organised but the Nissan Patrol Club might be the go.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
gunnamatta bay said:
http://www.nissanpatrolclub.org/

BTW prepare yourself for the frequent 4wd bashing threads on 4c.

Lol I think you'll find most of us have nothing against serious 4WDers. I was actually thinking of replacing my car with something like a Vitara soon (I want something smallis and reasonably fuel efficient but with decvent off-road ability) as I've been doing a fair bit of hiking and camping lately and it would be more practical for that. My car only gets used on the weekends anyway.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Vitaras are excellent. A Feroza which has been looked after is not a bad option either. I saw one in Woolooware near Shark Park the other day with 75k for about $8,500 which appeared to be in very good nick.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
gunnamatta bay said:
Vitaras are excellent. A Feroza which has been looked after is not a bad option either. I saw one in Woolooware near Shark Park the other day with 75k for about $8,500 which appeared to be in very good nick.

Yeah the Ferozas look like solid little units, don't know much about them though. Decent engine etc?

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Nick into your local newsagent and check out the 4wd section for a mag called 4wd buyers guide no. 8. It gives a run down on the Feroza on page 59. They give it a pretty good wrap. Basically they say it is a genuine off roader.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
There are heaps of sites which provide info on 4wds new and secondhand. Gives you a good idea on how much they are worth.

I own a Holden Jackaroo. Thirsty but very reliable and will go anywhere. You can pick them up cheap now even late models with plenty of goodies.

legend

Coach
I've got a Pathfinder and a Hilux Surf and the Surf is a great little truck. 2.4 litre turbo diesel and serious 4WD that will go anywhere.

I think the Vitata is an AWD so it's probably not as good off road but will still go down dirt tracks.

Spacey, the Surfs are excellent off roaders, cheap and fuel efficient. The insurance can be as low as $600 per year if you know where to look.

So long as they are looked after you shouldn't have any problem.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The reason I was looking at the Vitara is that they are apparently pretty capable off-road compared to most of the soft-roaders around, although obviously they're not going to be as good as something like a Hilux. Bear in mind that I really just want something that will handle a fairly rough dirt track ok, I'm not really looking to do geo serious 4WDing as such.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Make sure you get one of those big thick bull bars spacey. You'll need one in the city what with all those pedestrians getting in your way.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
gunnamatta bay said:
Make sure you get one of those big thick bull bars spacey. You'll need one in the city what with all those pedestrians getting in your way.

:lol: :lol:

You'll need to use some fresher bait than that!

gunnamatta bay

Referee
bf1-first.jpg

The obvious benefits of 4wd. What traffic jamb?

legend

Coach
My Pathfinder gets 10L/100KM which is outstanding or such a large car and it's got a fair bit of grunt for a 4 cylinder turbo diesel.

macavity

Referee
Vitara has a low range box and centre lock diff - as serious a 4WD as anything else.... just shrunken.

either a Vitara or Feroza will serve you well spacey, or even a (bit older) Rocky - they are getting on a bit now, but did come in diesel...

10L/100km? better economy than my falcon - although yours is slurping diesel...

legend

Coach
As the consumption of diesel continues to rise, I think we will see a levelling out in the comparative prices of diesel and unleaded.

At the moment, the Pathfinder is getting 11.3L/100km but it's still in the early stages and I expect the fuel efficiency to get better over the coming months. I can already feel more power and better fuel economy once I hit 5,000km's and the Pathfinder is the best in its calss for value for money and fuel economy.

Freddo

Juniors
legend said:
Are there any here and if so, is anyone interested in a trip over the off-season?

I've just bought the new Nissan Pathfinder and I'd love to take it off road soon but I'm not sure where to go. I was thinking Anna Bay in the sand?

Any takers?

i was up there a few weeks back its great fun out there on the dunes.

and yes i own a vitara the little beast handled pretty much everything i tried at anna bay lookin at maybe stockton when i get some free time

Latest posts