What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8th & captain discussion

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
So who are your 5/8th options for next year? Who is off contact?

Is Thaiday and Parker the leading captain candidates?

hellteam

First Grade
I'd give Thaiday the captaincy, Parker will be 29 next year and already has enough on his plate (goal kicking and making 65 tackles per game). Although Parker did captain my fantasy team quite well last year....

For five eight, it's a tough one. At the moment, I don't think that Wallace/Norman will do. We will have a lot of money in the bank, with the Inglis money and Lockyer money, so maybe it's time to buy somone.

Not too many quality five eights around though, Cronk would be the most option in my opinion.

Tyler.Durden

Juniors
5/8 has to have a bit of a kicking game, not sure boyd would do. I like beale, norman, wallace etc. not sure we have to look outside the club for an answer and not sure we have a lot of money to spare, we have a lot of youngster to tie up.

Hench

Juniors
Boyd to fullback and Hoffman to wing would make our back 3 a little better and alot safer IMO.

Still leaves 5/8th open though.

Cronk won't leave Melbourne.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
5/8 has to have a bit of a kicking game, not sure boyd would do. I like beale, norman, wallace etc. not sure we have to look outside the club for an answer and not sure we have a lot of money to spare, we have a lot of youngster to tie up.

Beale at 5/8? WTF? He's a decent goal kicker but that's about the extent of his kicking game. Got no experience there either. Wallace/Hunt is the most logical halves combo.

hellteam

First Grade
Boyd to fullback and Hoffman to wing would make our back 3 a little better and alot safer IMO.

Still leaves 5/8th open though.

Cronk won't leave Melbourne.

I disagree, Hoffman is extremely safe at fullback and I think he can definitely become a better fullback than Boyd.

Boyd in his first few years was pretty average, nowhere near as good as Hoffman. It was only last year when Boyd really started stepping up.

Hench

Juniors
I disagree, Hoffman is extremely safe at fullback and I think he can definitely become a better fullback than Boyd.

Boyd in his first few years was pretty average, nowhere near as good as Hoffman. It was only last year when Boyd really started stepping up.

It's more I don't trust Beale, Gagai, Yow Yeh then I don't think Hoffman isn't safe. But Josh has made a few rudimentry errors so far this year.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Beale at 5/8? WTF? He's a decent goal kicker but that's about the extent of his kicking game. Got no experience there either. Wallace/Hunt is the most logical halves combo.

No nrl experience? But has played Toyota Cup at five eighth. You should get to a broncos toyota cup game from time to time. Improve on your wealth of knowledge.

Last edited:

Snappy

Coach
I dont think we need to look elsewhere for a 5/8th when we have Norman and Hunt in the club.

Captain, well im undecided at the moment.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
No nrl experience? But has played Toyota Cup at five eighth. You should get to a broncos toyota cup game from time to time. Improve on your wealth of knowledge.

How many games did he play there? Perhaps you should get to a Qld Cup game to improve your knowledge.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Are you guys who are saying Norman should play 5/8 saying Hunt will be the halfback or he won't be there at all?

Hunt and Wallace is the obvious option to me.

I read something about Rugby putting in a NRL styled salary cap sometimes soon which means players would have to take massive pay cuts, making NRL and Rugby Union Salaries much similar. I have no idea how true it is but how awesome would that be if true. It would mean less money hungry player turnover from NRL to union. If this is the case then What do people think about Quade Cooper if we have a bit of $$ free? Just a suggestion...

Talanexor

Juniors
Captain? Thaiday. I think he's more of a leader than Parker and, as someone else said, Parker has enough to worry about already.

Five-eighth is a bit trickier. You'd have bucketloads of money, but every quality half is locked up on big money already. You could buy a promising younger half, but I'm not sure they'd be much better than Hunt or Norman tbh.

I doubt you'd get him, but I think Shaun Johnson would be a great pickup. Oodles of talent, very creative ballplayer, very quick and agile, but stuck behind Seymour and Maloney. He can't tackle, but then again Lockyer is no defensive dynamo either.

Quade Cooper ? You don't need to take the risk with Cooper, Parramatta could do, you've got the replacement there in Dan Hunt.

And in terms of all round play, I think that D.Boyd could becaome the best fullback in Aussie history.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
He's played there a few times. QCup? Bit too far to travel, I'm afraid. Being that I live in the Lockyer Valley. The closest team is forty minutes away.

What kind of argument is that? Suncorp is over 40 minutes from me. Ive travelled over a hour for Wynnum games. Some Cowboys supportes have 8 hour round trips.

Big Pete

Referee
Are you guys who are saying Norman should play 5/8 saying Hunt will be the halfback or he won't be there at all?

I'm thinking long term.

6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt

Country Bronco

Juniors
What kind of argument is that? Suncorp is over 40 minutes from me. Ive travelled over a hour for Wynnum games. Some Cowboys supportes have 8 hour round trips.

Well that team 40 min away is the Ipswich Jets and I don't support them. In fact I don't support any Q cup teams. If the Broncos were 8 hours away from me I would make the trip too cause I support them. I talk on this forum cause I support them and I wouldn't be here otherwise. Not like yourself?