What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8th & captain discussion

whykickamoocow

Juniors
6 Months ago I was looking forward to seeing Cooper play League but now I am not. The Reds have him defending on the wing. If he cant defend in Rugby that makes him a hopeless proposition for NRL.
playing wing in defence is more about his kicking game than his ability to tackle.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
He can't tackle, he's a turnstile.

His defence wouldn't be any worse then 1/2 the halfbacks and 5/8 in the NRL at the moment. Besides we want him for his ball playing and kicking game not his tackling ability. But here's an idea, in defence put him where Locky defends and put the same people who are there to protect Locky in defence to protect Quade. The simple fact is Thurston, Prince, Cronk, Marshall, Carney, Pearce and Campese are all signed up for the next few years and all the rest really aren't that better of an option then the ones we've got so he's really the best option out there. What are the Broncs meant to do wait to the end of season 2013 to try and get one of them. If they are going to go Norman then they really need to have him playing in the Q cup against men who know how to tackle rather than playing in a comp that isn't really known for it's defence. Same with Hunt, if he's next in line he should be playing all year at 6 or 7 in the Q cup to learn his craft more.

For the people who say the Broncos should go after Thurston are reason why other teams supporters think Broncos fans are a bunch of whinges and hypocrites. You jump up and down about Inglis yet your quite happy for the Broncos to go after a player who is signed to a club to the end of 2013. Before you jump up and down Seagull and say that you didn't say go after Thurston, I don't know if u did or not I'm just making a point to those who have.

Country Bronco

Juniors
Ultimately I think if bennett returns. And thats a real possibility. I'd say Boyd will also return and would be groomed as five eighth. Otherwise I think norman will be five eighth. Its a two horse race. Wouldn't think of buying someone in with talent we've got at our disposal except boyd situation.

whykickamoocow

Juniors
I don't like the idea of Boyd going into 5/8, not sure if he'd be creative enough and that would leave the kicking down to Wallace and I don't rate his kicking game all that much. If Bennett does come back and bring Boyd with him I'd play him in the centres or fullback. Probably centre because it's not like anyone is putting there hand up for that left centre spot. Reed is going ok but he's hardly a match winner

Broncos fan!

Juniors
Ultimately I think if bennett returns. And thats a real possibility. I'd say Boyd will also return and would be groomed as five eighth. Otherwise I think norman will be five eighth. Its a two horse race. Wouldn't think of buying someone in with talent we've got at our disposal except boyd situation.

I think Boyd will definitely come if Bennett returns. However, I'm not sure if he will play 5/8. Theres been plenty of speculation about it and I don't like the idea. Maybe in the future but not next year, especially when Wallace is our halfback and we are still trying to find consistency in our hooker position. Plus I just read in the news paper that Boyd said hes not really interested in filling Locky's shoes at 5/8 next year or something along those lines. I think centre would be the best option for him while Hoffman is playing like this at fullback. His game has developed sooo much since leaving the Broncos. I think we should groom him as Hodges replacement because god knows what Hodges future will be...

I'd love to sign Quade Cooper but with if Boyd came back then we wouldn't be able to afford it I reckon unless we ditched Wallace and maybe a few others.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

Bench
For the people who say the Broncos should go after Thurston are reason why other teams supporters think Broncos fans are a bunch of whinges and hypocrites. You jump up and down about Inglis yet your quite happy for the Broncos to go after a player who is signed to a club to the end of 2013. Before you jump up and down Seagull and say that you didn't say go after Thurston, I don't know if u did or not I'm just making a point to those who have.

WTF does Greg Inglis walking out on a handshake deal with the Broncos have any thing to do with Brisbane chasing Jonathan Thurston?

Makes sense to let him know we are interested in him when he does come off contract.......

bronco_buddy

Juniors
Invest in Hunt, Norman & Wallace and save the cash for a strike centre or 2 when Hodges pulls the pin in a couple of years