What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 Reasons why we will be better in 2013

hardbaby

Coach
Ok I admit, it does take a leap in faith (and BBC and Possum can go and get farked) but:

1) In the modern game you need a ball playing fullback. No coincidence that Barba and Slater played in the GF, having knocked out Inglis and Bowen. Our options at the back were shite this year (although I commend Morris on an attacking attempt). Beale is a gun. Thought that before he signed for the Dragons. Astute buy. With Cummins as a very handy replacement.

2) Our halves this year wouldn't have cut it in Reserve Grade. Hornby, for all his "spirit style" positives was a tragedy and Soward played like a Y Gen, ego genius. But it was very difficult for a young, loyal, Bennett-inspired coach to drop either. This year we have Style who I believe is the solution and Drinkwater who was the best available of a shity selection of available halves. Look at his stats. Crap team. Average coach. Ripped it up. Either of these players would be better than the 2012 version of Hornby.

3) Cameron King. Primed for a breakthrough season. The messiah. Future captain. Ra, ra f**king ra. Injured all year. Limitless potential. I see the Rein/King combo as potentially the best in the league. Deliver mo'fo.

4) Under-performing back row. Creagh was mud this year. Prior (I know you hate him) was average. Young played on one leg. Matthews showed spark at the end of then season. Scott played about half of our games through injury and rep seletion. Creagh will be captain this year and relish the responsibility. Fritzell is an absolute gun. Tough as hell. Lots of mongrel. Imagine forcing your way into the Sharks backrow! Gallen rates him and I rate Gallen. Starting position. Add a bigger, more mature DeBelin to that backrow. And Daniel Vidot who would run for 100+ metres per game. Juicy.

5) Front row. Weyman leads our pack. He gets injured we slide. Sound familiar? He's back next year. Merrin - possibly the best young front rower in the game and will take an Ozzie position in 2013. Stockwell. The next Merrin.

6) Price. His older brigade has moved (although I am concerned by Fien's role). Have some balls mate. Bennett's annointed successor. Bennett knows his footy better than anyone on this forum. He was shit last year but he inherited a shit position. Clean slate this year. Can he turn it around?

Yep there are lots of negatives as well. But as a Dragons supporter we need faith. So buy your membership, get off your arse, go the game and cut the negativity.

Love and peace.

Hardbaby...xox

Last edited:

Amozzie

Juniors
IMO Saints will hold their ground next year. They might scrape into the 8.

The problem is the halves. Every other component of the team is fine. Except the halves.

Soward should have done a Boyd & followed his footballing father. Stanley needs a good year or 3 to reach his potential. Given that if they punt on Drinkwater at half, (assuming Soward doesn't produce hi '09 form.) That will make 2 inexperienced players in 2 vitally important positions. While it isn't as bad as a Kusto / Kenward combination, realistically it will take quite a while to mature - and that's assuming the spectre of injuries etc doesn't take hold.

On the plus side, Hunt & Merrin show awesome potential, (even moreso than Bailey & Ryles.)

Good post, love the postivity. I think we are a reasonable chance to make the bottom half of the 8, we lack a bit of depth in the backrow and our halves are a constant worry. But if Vea and Drinkwater go okay we will suprise a few. And of course like all teams injuries in key positions will be crucial to success.

I don't think the 8 will change all that much from this season. Brisbane (have bought no one and lose Petro), Manly (Lose Williams, Lussick & probably Kite) and Cowboys (Segeyaro is a huge loss as he created a lot of spark for Thurston & Bowen from dummy half) will probably slide down the ladder. Having said that we will be in competition with the Roosters, Panthers & Knights who will all have much stronger rosters in 2013.

Can't wait!

Godz Illa

Coach
All about points 2 and 3. Kyle needs to not only stay fit, but play well. And King needs to be in the team every week - and play well.

If they both happen we can be better definitely

Elias1983

Coach
Great post!!!

Was watching the interview with Peter Doust and he was also saying that Stockwell is expected to play a lot more first grade this year so hopefully if he goes well, that will add to our depth.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I like Matthews and Frizell IS a gun.

DeBelin, Stockwell, Rein, Merrin, Kyle, King are all young blokes with futures.

A lot depends on the halves. I'd be starting Soward at 7. Its time to to do it.

Elias1983

Coach
Really interested how that young drinkwater goes...

hopefully he has a big off-season and gets some trial matches under his belt.

Could e the rookie halfback we can build our team around.

bottle

Coach
What's this? A positive thread?

Have I stumbled onto the wrong forum?

More power to the OP.

Minh

First Grade
Really interested how that young drinkwater goes...

hopefully he has a big off-season and gets some trial matches under his belt.

Could e the rookie halfback we can build our team around.

Rookie halfbacks are no longer a massive liability in fact quite the opposite in the last two seasons. Adam Reynolds was a revelation, Shaun Johnson, Josh Reynolds and of course Cherry Evans. Throw in others like Widdop and Sezar you get the picture that young players with fresh legs, so long as they have the ability can be successful almost straight away in FG.

jenninga

First Grade
Apart from all the good points raised,I also hope that Price would have learn't plenty from the past season and have a better influence on the team .It is important with some senior players retiring that he steps up and keeps a good team spirit and discipline.If Vidot f#*ks up again ,piss him off.
Defence again is the key,hope we don't lose much there and surely our attack will get better .Until our halfback position is settled,obviously Soward will be the key.

Hoekstra

Juniors
Great thread. I'm really interested in seeing what Drinkwater has if he gets the opportunity. He and King really need a run this year if we are to see what we have on the creative front. Still, the team is getting younger and moving through the rebuild phase. Next year could be fun.

Latest posts