What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5 things that could hold us back this year

This isn't meant to be negative - just those concerns we all have at the start of the year. Maybe you have more to add or even a reason why these won't be a problem.

Looking for someone to come up with 5 things that could really make this season one to remember as well.

• We don’t have a settled halves combination and still don’t know if any of the options to play beside Mullen are good enough.

• We are potentially one starting prop short. None of Tolar, Fa’aoso, Wicks or Taufua seem to be comfortable with the role. Tolar has been doing a great job but it would be nice if he had to start on the bench every now and then because someone else was getting in and really dominating at the start of matches.

• We seem to have a lot of backs that are either injured and or still finding their feet in 1st Grade. Apart from Gidley there isn’t really a senior player that we can be sure would be picked every game if available. Potential in so many of them so hopefully it will be realised this year.

• Our Coach – can be so sharp with tactics at times and plays favourites with a couple of players, but all coach’s do. Will have a plan for how this team is going to play and the signs were promising last year. There will be a couple of players we’re all looking forward to seeing play that won’t even get a look in this year – hopefully it’s due to the great from of those in front of them. If we get off to a bad start though Smith isn’t re signed early we may find it hard to sign players for next year.

• There is a lot of mobility and versatility in our back row. The knights best ever seasons have seen the 3 players at the back of the scrum play a lot of games together. There may be a temptation to rotate these guys based on the number of options available which could lead to frustration and a lack of consistency.

macavity

Referee
good post mate.

We don’t have a settled halves combination and still don’t know if any of the options to play beside Mullen are good enough.

very true. Mullo really needs to dominate at 6. If he does, we need an organiser with a kicking game - and either scotty or walsh can do that. If Mullo doesnt dominate, we need a dominant 7, but you never know, either could step up. If we are calling on Ben Rogers, nothing can help us.

We are potentially one starting prop short. None of Tolar, Fa’aoso, Wicks or Taufua seem to be comfortable with the role. Tolar has been doing a great job but it would be nice if he had to start on the bench every now and then because someone else was getting in and really dominating at the start of matches.

Mark T is your man. Wicks and Faas are impact, should not start. T has the right motor, the right intimidation, to be a great starting prop. think of it this way - their props can run at cross or T - tough choice.

We seem to have a lot of backs that are either injured and or still finding their feet in 1st Grade. Apart from Gidley there isn’t really a senior player that we can be sure would be picked every game if available. Potential in so many of them so hopefully it will be realised this year.

this is why it is critical that we sign mad dog for another season.

Our Coach – can be so sharp with tactics at times and plays favourites with a couple of players, but all coach’s do. Will have a plan for how this team is going to play and the signs were promising last year. There will be a couple of players we’re all looking forward to seeing play that won’t even get a look in this year – hopefully it’s due to the great from of those in front of them. If we get off to a bad start though Smith isn’t re signed early we may find it hard to sign players for next year.

eerm... we will find it hard to sign players because the most disliked coach in the NRL might not be here?

There is a lot of mobility and versatility in our back row. The knights best ever seasons have seen the 3 players at the back of the scrum play a lot of games together. There may be a temptation to rotate these guys based on the number of options available which could lead to frustration and a lack of consistency.

this is a massive positive, especially with simmo there, who isnt getting any younger and has an old body. If we can afford to rest him and have him fresh for finals, that is massive for us. Smith is a big believer in picking a team to suit the opposition, and whilst it sometimes is a massive failure (vs Raiders), sometimes it is a massive success (vs Panthers).

Karmawave

Bench
Great post once again justsomefootyfan.

I think the halves situation is a worry as well ,but I'm not going to beat that horse to death again this year like last. My 2009 resolution was to lay off ordinary number 7s a bit.

Mullen has to dominate.

The props worry me too.

And I think we lack one class back who can change a game.

As for the coach, I'm not a Smith fan. Sure, he knows what he is doing with a clipboard, but his persona and way he goes about things has the potential to ruin a season with player animosity.

perverse

Referee

• We don’t have a settled halves combination and still don’t know if any of the options to play beside Mullen are good enough.
yep, it's a worry. let's hope someone truly steps up. i think one of the few thigns we all agree on is that mullen is a 6... but he needs someone inside him that can get the job done consistently to allow him to shine. i'm still backing scotty d, but would be more than happy for ANYONE to make our #7 their own, if they can get the job done.

• We are potentially one starting prop short. None of Tolar, Fa’aoso, Wicks or Taufua seem to be comfortable with the role. Tolar has been doing a great job but it would be nice if he had to start on the bench every now and then because someone else was getting in and really dominating at the start of matches.
i'm not too worried about the props. i get the feeling we're going to see plenty more of Mark T this year... and i've got a sneaking suspicion we might see timmy natusch hit first grade too... if only for a game or 2. i think we'll have plenty up front this year... but i really do hope wicks pulls his finger out.

• We seem to have a lot of backs that are either injured and or still finding their feet in 1st Grade. Apart from Gidley there isn’t really a senior player that we can be sure would be picked every game if available. Potential in so many of them so hopefully it will be realised this year.
indeed. Sau's lack of passing ability concerns me greatly. if you can't pass by the time you hit first grade... will you ever be able to do so? Aku obviously has a plethora of defects in his game, and i'm not sure that they're going anywhere either. you can lock in jimmy mac for every game he's available, and with a bit more pace he could prove even more valuable to us this year. wes is also a lock when fully fit... and to be honest he did a bang up job last year, and he'll only get better at centre. i think you could really say we have 1 centre spot and one wing spot wide open, and we've got plenty of competition for spots. it's a healthy position to be in imo, mad dog or not.

• Our Coach – can be so sharp with tactics at times and plays favourites with a couple of players, but all coach’s do. Will have a plan for how this team is going to play and the signs were promising last year. There will be a couple of players we’re all looking forward to seeing play that won’t even get a look in this year – hopefully it’s due to the great from of those in front of them. If we get off to a bad start though Smith isn’t re signed early we may find it hard to sign players for next year.
i''m a big smith fan, and would like to see him get at least 1 or 2 more years to really have a crack at a premiership that has eluded him for so long... however i'm just not sure. had we made the 8 last year i would have been overly happy to keep him... but the raiders loss stands out in my mind verily. we had everything to play for that day and the team he picked was sh*thouse.

• There is a lot of mobility and versatility in our back row. The knights best ever seasons have seen the 3 players at the back of the scrum play a lot of games together. There may be a temptation to rotate these guys based on the number of options available which could lead to frustration and a lack of consistency.
our back row is top notch imo. with houso, simmo, pato and taia we have absolutely zero to worry about. i'd take them against just about any back row in the comp (barring possibly the sharks).

Yosh

Coach
Great post, great theard.

Mark T huh? I can see alot of potential but do you guys think there is a reason we havent seen any press from him at all from the offseason? This could be a very promsing

sign. I could be like far far off the mark but I'm thinking BSmith has decided that Mark T is our man this season and dont want other clubs to find out about him and target him

but let him introduce himself to the NRL his style.

Eh outside backs can do the job I think will let us down here and there but definately we'll see some exciting excting things from them. Sau doesnt need to learn how to pass

someone teach him the basic islander move, the flick pass and he'll be good. Run hard, run over 2 or 3 guys and flick if off to Aku give him 1cm of space and he'll do the rest?

Hahaha too optermistic am I?

BG

Juniors
Great post once again justsomefootyfan.

I think the halves situation is a worry as well ,but I'm not going to beat that horse to death again this year like last. My 2009 resolution was to lay off ordinary number 7s a bit.

Mullen has to dominate.

The halves are intriguing. None of Dureau, Walsh or Rogers have established themselves, but any of the three could turn out to be the goods. (Well, few will say that of Rogers, but he does number a certain Andrew Johns among his fans.) At worst, Dureau is a steady organising #7 with a truly outstanding kicking game--so a good foil for Mullen. Especially if Mullo can indeed prove more dominant. He showed that he can do it on a handful of occasions last year. We need it on a regular basis from him.

The props worry me too.

Completely disagree on this, though I know I"m in the minority. Cross, Tolar, Taufua, Faas, Wicks, Houston, Simmo, Natusch, make a strong brigade imho. I think people are underestimating Taufua, and not really considering House and Simmo as options, which I believe they definitely are if required (and either could be a starting prop if necessary).

And I think we lack one class back who can change a game.

Obviously you mean aside from Gids. Yeah we don't have a proven matchwinner among the outside backs. But we're rippling with youthful potential: Sau, Aku, Vuna (possibly even Lulia). Hopefully at least one can develop into something special.

Well I’m glad I started this one because you guys have made a few good points! Making the year look better already.

I would love to think that Taufua is under heavy consideration for the starting spot and glad to see that people think he’s up to it. I really rate the guy but wasn’t sure if he was suited to Prop so if some of you are hearing good things and seeing him train well with the other props then hopefully he’s given a chance.

My point as far as signing players wasn’t really about the dislike that is out there for Smith. I was trying to say that if we get off to a good start to the season and smith is re signed then for prospective signings we would still be seen as a team on the way up. If we start badly and smith is on the way out – we have a situation where we have a potential unknown quantity as a coach and are seen as a team that still has a fair way to go to challenge for a title which may deter good players from wanting to come here. I already think we’ll have problems recruiting / keeping fringe players due to the fact they’ll be playing in the local comp if they don’t make the first 17.

The thoughts on keeping Simmo fresh is the right idea – and I agree we have a back row that if they’re all playing well would be up there with the best – I just don’t like it when sometimes players get rested in the rotation– the player that replaces them has a good game and then the poor guy who was initially rested ends up not playing for a few weeks in a row because they’re on stand by and don’t play reserve grade etc. It happened to Taufua and others a few times last year and can make the guys lose momentum, confidence and form.

So how about what you’re looking forward to? How will we remember this season?

Will we be the team that has learned from last year with incredible discipline meaning we concede fewer penalties than anyone else?

Are we going to play a super up temp game with 2nd phase play a feature? An attacking hooker rotation taking advantage of room to move in a faster ruck? Punishing defense with, Simpson, Taufua, Fa’asoso, Paterson and Cross terrorizing anyone running without support, no gaps up the middle with De Gois and Hilder bringing down anything that moves with their superior mobility and lateral defense - back to the days of being able to hem a team in their own 20 for the entire set?

What will make us better than the Manly’s, Melbourne’s etc this year? Will it just be superior fitness, courage and commitment? Will it be relentless pressure due to unbreakable defense and a pin point kicking game. Will we have a couple of excitement machines on the wings and back to the glory days when we used to score so many tries off the Johns brothers kicking games, but with mullen the magician? New tactics to get a speedy winger outside his man from our own half and Gidley scoring try after try off Mullens’ hip?

Will Patterson put it all together and play for NSW being our leading forward try scorer and bring back memories of BK? Is a fresh Steve Simpson going to wind the clock back as a wide runner that’s unstoppable picking out the weak defenders close to the line?

Will we just see steady improvement across the board and bring a few younger players through that give us confidence there’s another premiership on the way in the next few years?

I think all of these are possibilities and the best part about the off-season is that we nobody can take our red and blue eyed optimism away from us.

Pika, I read that the boys were all being tested for speed, strength, agility, endurance against milestones set at this time last year but haven’t heard anything on the results. Are you able to shed any light on if there has been any or much improvement for particular players or in particular areas?

Thanks for listening and keeping me sane guys – Isn’t it great talking footy!

BG

Juniors
My point as far as signing players wasn’t really about the dislike that is out there for Smith. I was trying to say that if we get off to a good start to the season and smith is re signed then for prospective signings we would still be seen as a team on the way up. If we start badly and smith is on the way out – we have a situation where we have a potential unknown quantity as a coach and are seen as a team that still has a fair way to go to challenge for a title which may deter good players from wanting to come here.

This would be one of the main reasons they're looking at making a decision on the coach before the start of the season.

Great thread.

RE: Patterson do you guys really rate him up there yet with your Fitzgibbons, Masons, Toupo's and Lafranchi's yet?

To me his atleast to years off being that calibre of player, he's just way to raw as of yet. I am not saying that talent isnt their it clearly is if his willing to put in the hard yards.

macavity

Referee
just as an aside, I hate it when people say "your x's, y's, z's...."

it is a really stupid turn of phrase. There is only one Fitzgibbon, Mason, etc etc, there is only one Manly, Melbourne, etc etc.

sorry just a pet hate.

on Pato - no I dont rate him with Laffranchi, but I don't rate Fitzgibbon or Mason as high these days. Tupou is an enigma. He (Pato) has the potential to be better than all of them, but its going to come down to what he has upstairs.

Will we be the team that has learned from last year with incredible discipline meaning we concede fewer penalties than anyone else?

no. we will be better (couldnt be worse) but still not the best. Although not having Danny (hated by refs) will help.

Are we going to play a super up temp game with 2nd phase play a feature? An attacking hooker rotation taking advantage of room to move in a faster ruck?

I think we will continue to attack on the edges with the occasional bust up the middle. Our game last year was pretty, but it was very basic - make room up the middle, get it to the centres, and then run your hooker/backrower at a retreating defence. I don't think it will change a whole lot. Having Cross there for the whole year will help.

Punishing defense with, Simpson, Taufua, Fa’asoso, Paterson and Cross terrorizing anyone running without support,

this is what im most looking forward to. if we have all of them on the park, we really can make EAS the House of Pain.

no gaps up the middle with De Gois and Hilder bringing down anything that moves with their superior mobility and lateral defense - back to the days of being able to hem a team in their own 20 for the entire set?

don't see many sets like that these days - but it would be nice to think we can be up there for least metres conceded.

What will make us better than the Manly’s, Melbourne’s etc this year?

we wont be consistently better, but we might pip them once or so during the season. im expecting a 6-8 finish.

Will it just be superior fitness, courage and commitment? Will it be relentless pressure due to unbreakable defense and a pin point kicking game. Will we have a couple of excitement machines on the wings and back to the glory days when we used to score so many tries off the Johns brothers kicking games, but with mullen the magician? New tactics to get a speedy winger outside his man from our own half and Gidley scoring try after try off Mullens’ hip?

yosh, is that you? settle down mate. I reckon we need to score more points than the opposition... thats it. We will grind in defence and play a good percentage game with ball in hand. I dont expect us to be razzle dazzle - there will be moments of brilliance, but we arent going to put 30 on the board too often. Think Cronulla but not quite so awful to watch.

Will we just see steady improvement across the board and bring a few younger players through that give us confidence there’s another premiership on the way in the next few years?

nail ---> head.

Hanscholo

Bench
This isn't meant to be negative - just those concerns we all have at the start of the year. Maybe you have more to add or even a reason why these won't be a problem.

Looking for someone to come up with 5 things that could really make this season one to remember as well.

I think you've pretty much summed it up m8. They are certainly the challenges that await. I think we will dominate most if not all of our games in the forwards this year, our backs and in particular our halves must fire up in attack and defence.

Pika

Bench
I rate Tupou as the best in the game.

I will have a look at those stats for you justsomefootyfan.

Yosh

Coach
Plays like the Beast during club games but like Beauty during rep games. I think Tupou is good player but big game flop so not a huge fan must admit!!!

stuke

Bench
The halves are intriguing. None of Dureau, Walsh or Rogers have established themselves, but any of the three could turn out to be the goods. (Well, few will say that of Rogers, but he does number a certain Andrew Johns among his fans.) At worst, Dureau is a steady organising #7 with a truly outstanding kicking game--so a good foil for Mullen. Especially if Mullo can indeed prove more dominant. He showed that he can do it on a handful of occasions last year. We need it on a regular basis from him.

didn't Johnsy rate Sean Rudder as well?

Latest posts