What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

500k for a winger

broncos2010

Juniors
Yep, we'll let Wayne cherry pick your "scraps" and fill the little holes in our roster with such Broncos nuffies like Gagai and.....well thats it from the Broncos ranks in or first grade side really.

Why haven't the Broncos produced a half of their own since Lockyer converted from fullback? Bringing in Wallace and now Prince. Tsk tsk with all of SEQ to choose from you'd think at least one would have come up.

When do you have to go back to home ec class?

Prince started at the broncos joker you joke and Wallace was pretty much brought through our system as well no one knew of him before hand.

We have constantly product top quality product in our system that have gone to play rep football year after year in.

That is why our club in the biggest club in the NRL and ranked 2nd biggest sporting club in AUS.

Our club breaths success on and off the pitch.

I don't even know how you have the guts to compare your knights with the mighty broncos???

Joker's Wild

Coach
Prince started at the broncos joker you joke and Wallace was pretty much brought through our system as well no one knew of him before hand.

We have constantly product top quality product in our system that have gone to play rep football year after year in.

That is why our club in the biggest club in the NRL and ranked 2nd biggest sporting club in AUS.

I don't even know how you have the guts to compare your knights with the mighty broncos???

Prince is a Townsville jnr who played for the Cowboys well before the Broncos

Wallace was an established FGer at Penrith before the Broncos signed him. I remember him plonking the winning field goal against your rabble after Penrith scored 3 tries in the dying 10 min.

It surely must suck when fans of other clubs have to school you about your own players.

When does your Maths in Society class start? You dont wanna be late

broncos2010

Juniors
Prince is a Townsville jnr who played for the Cowboys well before the Broncos

Wallace was an established FGer at Penrith before the Broncos signed him. I remember him plonking the winning field goal against your rabble after Penrith scored 3 tries in the dying 10 min.

It surely must suck when fans of other clubs have to school you about your own players.

When does your Maths in Society class start? You dont wanna be late

I said they established themselves in there football Career and no one knew of Wallace ffs don't give me that rubbish he played a hand full of first grade games when he came to broncos he went on to play for NSW.

Joker's Wild

Coach
lol Prince played 53 games at the Cowboys you muppet and Wallace played 20 at Penrith.

Claiming they came through your system is laughable and considering Wallace gets death ridden by your own fans I dont think he is a player you would want to crow about.

I think Mrs Jones is calling you in from big lunch

broncos2010

Juniors
lol Prince played 53 games at the Cowboys you muppet and Wallace played 20 at Penrith.

Claiming they came through your system is laughable and considering Wallace gets death ridden by your own fans I dont think he is a player you would want to crow about.

I think Mrs Jones is calling you in from big lunch

Good to see you have access to wiki.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Yep, Im also old enough to remember both those players playing for clubs previous to the Broncos

Im gonna go ahead and guess that you are not however

Did you enjoy the LCM your mummy put in your lunchbox today?

Spot On

Coach
Yeah that is why mac was rated best player by the broncos last season :lol:

Is this the same McCulloch who continually has the ball stripped out of his hands before he can get a pass away from dummy half?

I will be shocked if he finished the season as starting hooker for the Broncs. Once the shit hits the fan up there after the first 10 rounds he'll be under pressure to get a run most weeks.

Rolla

Juniors
Aku is the best 'Club winger in the game by a long way as far as I am concerned. None come close.

With that said though i don't think he is the Best rep winger Necessarily. Origin requires a different skillset to club football. As a winger you don't get any space to work in and (if you play for NSW lately) you rarely even get the ball in a 1 V 1 competition. The key way a winger will score in origin is in the corner after an overrlap or via a kick. The first a monkey can do, and the second takes aerial prowess (not Uates strength). Ultimately Uate's attacking strengths are silenced and he is left to just taking hitups early in the set (he is second to none here).

Other than Aerial prowess the ideal origin winger is strong defencively. Particularly for NSW because wingers are constantly left exposed to overlaps due to the QLD backline's ability. Aku isn't overly weak here but there are plenty better running around. He is too on and off.

I am not saying he shouldn't be playing Origin either. Just that it is a different game for wingers than club games with different attributes being more important.

The knights don't pay him to play rep games, they pay him to play club games and he is comfortably the best in the world at that.

Aku is the best 'Club winger in the game by a long way as far as I am concerned. None come close.

With that said though i don't think he is the Best rep winger Necessarily. Origin requires a different skillset to club football. As a winger you don't get any space to work in and (if you play for NSW lately) you rarely even get the ball in a 1 V 1 competition. The key way a winger will score in origin is in the corner after an overrlap or via a kick. The first a monkey can do, and the second takes aerial prowess (not Uates strength). Ultimately Uate's attacking strengths are silenced and he is left to just taking hitups early in the set (he is second to none here).

Other than Aerial prowess the ideal origin winger is strong defencively. Particularly for NSW because wingers are constantly left exposed to overlaps due to the QLD backline's ability. Aku isn't overly weak here but there are plenty better running around. He is too on and off.

I am not saying he shouldn't be playing Origin either. Just that it is a different game for wingers than club games with different attributes being more important.

The knights don't pay him to play rep games, they pay him to play club games and he is comfortably the best in the world at that.

Thats a pretty good summary of Aku.

Preston Campbell is a similar story, epecially in his Dally M year.

Frederick

Staff member

Fail troll is fail

KniGhTs BaTTLeR

Juniors
Isn't Wayne Bennett notorious for not spending overs for front rowers?

I'm sure we have plenty of room to move even with a 500k contract for Aku. He will pay for himself in generating ticket revenue anyway. Love that bloke.

Serc

First Grade
He is worth it. I would have liked to think we could get him a bit cheaper, but he's been on the cheap for the past 3 years, and he deserves to be paid what he is worth.

It was a sensational contract from the club. I think we signed him up to a 4 year deal towards the end of 2009...just before his breakout 2010 season. Would not be surprised if he has been on no more than $200k for the past 3 years (plus various bonuses for rep teams etc on top of that). As a result I have no issues with the club paying ~$500k for him, especially with Gagai feeding him the ball (not to mention Boyd and also Mullen and his left to right pass - you can tell I've been watching highlight videos as I am missing the footy!)

Last edited:

Serc

First Grade
Been a bit busier the past 6 months or so but I am still about the place! :D

Rolla

Juniors
All it takes is a thread about Aku and us off season absentees come marching back!

That alone is worth 500k surely.

Latest posts