What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 matches for that?

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
What a f**king storm in a tea cup that incident was. Just got done downloading the game. Absolutely nothing in it. You see that sort of thing 10 times a game

Matai being punished for his reputation. Should have hit Ennis harder

Even in Rugby Union, which is noticably softer and blows all incidents out of proportion, that still wouldn't have been 7 games.

Punch the sh*t out of a guy for no reason(Sharks v Panthers), and the refs are criticised for giving a yellow card! Run into someone at 5mph and you get 7 weeks!

Ennis must have a glass jaw of epic proportions

Digeze

Juniors
lol, 10 times in a game. I haven't seen a hit like that so late and deliberate all season. They talk about players not being able to pull out to avoid contact, Matai could have stopped and clipped his fingernails with the amount of time he had

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
lol, 10 times in a game. I haven't seen a hit like that so late and deliberate all season. They talk about players not being able to pull out to avoid contact, Matai could have stopped and clipped his fingernails with the amount of time he had

Well if you want to be technical the contact was half a second after Ennis passed the ball. Hardly a lifetime.

No self respecting league player would go down from that little arm to the face from Matai anyway. Maybe Farah, but that's still only 2 out of a whole league.

I ask again how a soft arm to the face half a second after a pass is any worse than a player unloading on another with punches without any reason at all!?

You think if Slater did that to Ennis anyone would bat an eyelid? He wouldn't even get 1 week for that!

Smacking the sh*t out of a bloke with a couple of straight-rights is fine. God forbid you collect a bloke with a soft forearm :lol:

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
It was pretty crook. Even though I cheered when Ennis got hammered, Matai earned his suspension.

I can agree with a suspension because Matais got form. But 7 weeks? Get the f**k out of here lmao

Incidents should be judged on their severity not who carries them out.

Matai is being punished for being Matai. All the 'tough' players cop the same over reactive bullsh*t.

NRL is turning soft if that sort of suspension is deemed valid. Even soft as sh*t Union commisioners wouldn't give that more than 2 weeks! And they're world renound for being fairies.

Iafeta

Referee
:lol::lol: Sure. Matai's arm doesn't even start swinging until after Ennis has passed the ball. Lucky he didn't get sent off.

RufusRex

Post Whore
well ... considering most of it is loading its his own fault ... a grade 3 reckless is 400 points or 300 for an early plea .. thats 3 weeks ... if he wasnt such a tool with a mountain of other priors then it wouldnt be 7 weeks would it ...

dickhead

Scorpio30

Bench
It wasnt late....and the reason it wasnt late was because it was in completely new phase of play!...Which makes it intentional...you cant just go up to blokes and smack'em in the head.

I can agree with a suspension because Matais got form. But 7 weeks? Get the f**k out of here lmao

Incidents should be judged on their severity not who carries them out.

Matai is being punished for being Matai. All the 'tough' players cop the same over reactive bullsh*t.

NRL is turning soft if that sort of suspension is deemed valid. Even soft as sh*t Union commisioners wouldn't give that more than 2 weeks! And they're world renound for being fairies.

I disagree.

If a bloke is a serial offender and doesn't seem to get the message, longer suspensions are the only way to combat them. The set-up isn't and never will be, perfect but it's as good as its ever going to be.

I hark back to the days of Les Boyd, Bob Cooper etc and Jim Comans, he was pretty stiff with his suspensions but in the end, we got a much, much cleaner game.

Even if this one was judged on its own, late, high hits are never, ever going to get anything but long holidays.

Dragonwest

Juniors
All the 'tough' players cop the same over reactive bullsh*t.

Matai isn't tough! he rolls around on the ground like a little girl every two minutes clutching a leg, ribs, shoulder .... you name it.

Smacking someone in the head late when they are not looking is just a dog act plain n simple.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
It wasnt late....and the reason it wasnt late was because it was in completely new phase of play!...Which makes it intentional...you cant just go up to blokes and smack'em in the head.

What. Like the Sharks Panthers game this weekend? Where someone really did get up and smack a bloke in his head a few times.

The lack of consistancy in the NRL is amazing.

...So actually punching the sh*t out of someone is fine, infact it's so acceptable that people complain when the yellow cards come out. But collecting someone with a forearm, while practically at walking speed is a 7 week offence?

I could show you a hundred incidents from this year, on par with that, if not worse, that went unpunished.

It's a shame you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you. Matai is being suspended for being Matai. Most players on the park wouldn't get a week for that.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
I disagree.

If a bloke is a serial offender and doesn't seem to get the message, longer suspensions are the only way to combat them. The set-up isn't and never will be, perfect but it's as good as its ever going to be.

I hark back to the days of Les Boyd, Bob Cooper etc and Jim Comans, he was pretty stiff with his suspensions but in the end, we got a much, much cleaner game.

Even if this one was judged on its own, late, high hits are never, ever going to get anything but long holidays.

But they do, and that's the issue I'm getting off. Late and high hits are in abundance mate. I've got gbs of the stuff on my hd.

2 things made this incident different.

1. Ennis was hurt
2. It was Steve Matai

Onto point 1. If Ennis copped the elbow and played on, it'd been a non issue. Refs wouldn't have called it back, match review wouldn't have had sh*t to say. 2, if it wasn't Steve Matai 7 weeks would never be given.

This happens all the time in Union, actions aren't penalised, the result of the actions are.

So hitting someone marginally late is fine, if it doesn't effect them. God forbid you hurt them, then and only then does anyone care.

You see this happen with big guy on little guy. Little guys are allowed to take pot shots on big guys. If you reverse the situation forwards are lambasted by refs and comissioners alike. Simply for the fact they're bigger and stronger. Intentions are irrelivent. Timing is irrelivent.

It's all over the place. If I was a player I wouldn't have a clue what I could and couldn't do. Playing to the law doesn't work. Because the paramaters of the law change depending on who you are and how hard you can hit.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Matai isn't tough! he rolls around on the ground like a little girl every two minutes clutching a leg, ribs, shoulder .... you name it.

Smacking someone in the head late when they are not looking is just a dog act plain n simple.

That's why I put tough in the little ' ' things.

But they do, and that's the issue I'm getting off. Late and high hits are in abundance mate. I've got gbs of the stuff on my hd.

2 things made this incident different.

1. Ennis was hurt
2. It was Steve Matai

Onto point 1. If Ennis copped the elbow and played on, it'd been a non issue. Refs wouldn't have called it back, match review wouldn't have had sh*t to say. 2, if it wasn't Steve Matai 7 weeks would never be given.

This happens all the time in Union, actions aren't penalised, the result of the actions are.

So hitting someone marginally late is fine, if it doesn't effect them. God forbid you hurt them, then and only then does anyone care.

You see this happen with big guy on little guy. Little guys are allowed to take pot shots on big guys. If you reverse the situation forwards are lambasted by refs and comissioners alike. Simply for the fact they're bigger and stronger. Intentions are irrelivent. Timing is irrelivent.

It's all over the place. If I was a player I wouldn't have a clue what I could and couldn't do. Playing to the law doesn't work. Because the paramaters of the law change depending on who you are and how hard you can hit.

No.

It was late and high and Matai has priors. He deserved 7. It wasn't hard to see that he was going for a stretch.

You said you could show us 100 on par from this season, go for your life. I can barely remember one or two late, high hits where the ball has gone off in the opposite direction well before the hit.

I have no sympathy for Ennis, he is a wretched little turd, but the punishemnt fits the crime.

Cletus

First Grade
It was only four weeks but Matai had two 50% loadings for similar offences and 20% for a different one. I love Matai but he needs to mix up his thuggery otherwise he's going to get massive loadings.

houdini1

Juniors
It was only four weeks but Matai had two 50% loadings for similar offences and 20% for a different one. I love Matai but he needs to mix up his thuggery otherwise he's going to get massive loadings.

I agree with this. Even as a Manly supporter, that was late, high, deliberate, and above all completely and utterly stupid. Matai is a good player but is prone to the odd brain fart.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
7 weeks is pretty spot on. It won't teach the bloke anything though, come next year he'll be back being a sook and a cheap shot merchant.

skeepe

Immortal
What. Like the Sharks Panthers game this weekend? Where someone really did get up and smack a bloke in his head a few times.

The lack of consistancy in the NRL is amazing.

...So actually punching the sh*t out of someone is fine, infact it's so acceptable that people complain when the yellow cards come out. But collecting someone with a forearm, while practically at walking speed is a 7 week offence?

I could show you a hundred incidents from this year, on par with that, if not worse, that went unpunished.

It's a shame you guys are letting your emotions get the better of you. Matai is being suspended for being Matai. Most players on the park wouldn't get a week for that.

Two points.

1. There are no yellow cards in rugby league.
2. You're a f**king idiot.

You clearly have no concept of the way the judiciary works in the NRL. It wasn't deemed a 7 week offence, it was deemed a 3 week offence (assuming the early guilty plea). The fact that he had prior offences added to the penalty, as plenty have already said in this thread.