What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7 weeks in, who is impressing you?

russ13

First Grade
Idris has played well.

I stand corrected but he has only played 2 games for the Titans & they have won both.

AuDragon

Juniors
1- Slater (So far ahead of any other Fullback, it's not funny)
2- James McManus (Didn't think he had it in him)
3- Michael Jennings (Playing to his vast potential)
4- Justin Hodges (The best centre in the game when physically fit)
5- Andrew Everingham (This year's fairy tale story)
6- Corey Norman (A bit of bias here, but he has been improving each week massively)
7- Cooper Cronk (Self explanatory)
8- Matt Scott (An amazing go forward machine until his injury, Paul Gallen would fit here)
9- Cameron Smith (Do you really need to ask?)
10-David Shillington (Burying last year's pillow form)
11-Jayson Bukuya (Surprising form from the Qld'er)
12-Gavin Cooper (Underrated player who hasn't put a foot wrong this season for the Cows)
13-Paul Gallen (Has been playing prop more than anything really, so I would put Luke Lewis here)

14-Matt Gillett (Fantastic impact player with lots of utility value)
15-James Tamou (Best front row pairing with Matt Scott)
16-Ben Hannant (just doing the 1%'s better and get the Broncos on the front foot consistently)
17-Nate Myles (Has been the most consistent at the Titans)

StormHi

Juniors
1- Slater (So far ahead of any other Fullback, it's not funny)
2- James McManus (Didn't think he had it in him)
3- Michael Jennings (Playing to his vast potential)
4- Justin Hodges (The best centre in the game when physically fit)
5- Andrew Everingham (This year's fairy tale story)
6- Corey Norman (A bit of bias here, but he has been improving each week massively)
7- Cooper Cronk (Self explanatory)
8- Matt Scott (An amazing go forward machine until his injury, Paul Gallen would fit here)
9- Cameron Smith (Do you really need to ask?)
10-David Shillington (Burying last year's pillow form)
11-Jayson Bukuya (Surprising form from the Qld'er)
12-Gavin Cooper (Underrated player who hasn't put a foot wrong this season for the Cows)
13-Paul Gallen (Has been playing prop more than anything really, so I would put Luke Lewis here)

14-Matt Gillett (Fantastic impact player with lots of utility value)
15-James Tamou (Best front row pairing with Matt Scott)
16-Ben Hannant (just doing the 1%'s better and get the Broncos on the front foot consistently)
17-Nate Myles (Has been the most consistent at the Titans)

Pretty much this But I do not agree with Hodges I feel like the game has left him behind a bit and cops far to many Injuries... Still a quality player tho.

I would like to Add Jason Ryles I had serious doubts about him as a Smart purchase for the Storm but he has really lifted his game and seems to be improving.

AuDragon

Juniors
Pretty much this But I do not agree with Hodges I feel like the game has left him behind a bit and cops far to many Injuries... Still a quality player tho.

I would like to Add Jason Ryles I had serious doubts about him as a Smart purchase for the Storm but he has really lifted his game and seems to be improving.
I guess you haven't seen too many Broncos games this season, despite complaining about their continuous FTA Friday games... :sarcasm:

I don't want to jinx him (knocking on wood), but after finally having a full pre-season injury free to get himself right, he has been the best centre in the comp by far this season, which is what the thread is about.

I would think he's one of the least contentious calls in my team. Do not understand the bit about the game leaving him behind...?

snoozer

Bench
for us - gal, toddy, bakuya.

randoms from elsewhere - nightingale, gillett, weyman, jennings, everingham, the 3 cheaters.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Most of the Warriors have been up and down so far this year but the one guy who's really stood out is Ben Matulino- averaging over 120m and close to 20 tackles a game (usually including a couple of massive hits), regularly breaks tackles, rarely makes errors or concedes penalties, and always gets quick play the balls and isn't dominated in the tackle. He's pretty much the complete front rower. Extremely durable too, he's played close to every game for the last couple of seasons for us.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
I guess you haven't seen too many Broncos games this season, despite complaining about their continuous FTA Friday games... :sarcasm:

I don't want to jinx him (knocking on wood), but after finally having a full pre-season injury free to get himself right, he has been the best centre in the comp by far this season, which is what the thread is about.

I would think he's one of the least contentious calls in my team. Do not understand the bit about the game leaving him behind...?

Maybe he takes a horse & cart to training?

azza18

Juniors
Not going to name a team, but some of the more impressive for me include: Wallace, Everingham, Taylor, Bukuya, Carney, Gillet, Graham, Weymen, and B Morris. Oh, and the "big 3" of course.

Sleep

Juniors
Corey Norman.

He was under so much pressure coming in to the team having to fill Lockyers boots and he's done an outstanding job. Hasn't over played his hand and is getting better and better every week.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
From Saints - Nightingale, BMoz, Weyman, DeBellin, and Latimore (Can't believe the Warriors kept him playing for the Vulcans while that useless lump of lard Packer was still playing 1st grade).

Elsewhere - Gillett, Bakuya, Matulino, Gallen, Pomeroy (can't believe how much he's improved), Corey Norman, McCulloch (sp?), Hoffman, Wallace, Everingham, Taumalolo, JMoz, Graham.

woodyk2

First Grade
Canterbury Morris has been going well,Croker busts a gut for Souffs,Everingham for souffs going well too.

jbl31649

Juniors
Sandow...500k a year and playing park football for Wentworthville.

Easy street! Thats impressive.

Big Pete

Referee
AuDragon's list is spot on. I just have a few different preferences:

1. Billy Slater
2. Jason Nightingale
3. Josh Morris
4. Justin Hodges
5. Andrew Everingham
6. Todd Carney
7. Cooper Cronk
8. David Shillington
9. Cam Smith
10. Ben Hannant
11. Jayson Bukuya
12. Chris Houston
13. Paul Gallen

14. Matt Gillett
15. Frank Pritchard
16. Trent Merrin
17. James Tamou

Couple contentious picks there and I could be showing my Broncos bias with Hannant & Gillett but both have been a big part of our success so far this season. Stats. don't do Hannant justice, he's doing a lot of hard work and I like how he steps up when the game gets into an arm wrestle. Truthfully I was looking to find a spot for McGuire but Merrin's form off the bench has just been too good to ignore for me (for now...).

And despite my bellyaching about his Aus. selection, you can't deny Tamou's form right now.