What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-point try

CJG 182

Juniors
GKD and Geo are speaking far too much sense for Kordo.

He'll get off as he barely hit him.

If he had connected it would be a fair bit worse.

Slackboy72

Coach
I think he should be suspended. 2 games at least. The more I look at it the more 'Langer-esque' it looks.

Everything Jamie did was legal.

Once you've made contact with the attacker, you can use your legs to aid in the tackle. Remember that guy called Allan Langer. Pretty sure Bennett remembers him and remembers the evidence needed to clear him back 88.

He used his legs, he didnt lead with the legs.

silverex

Bench
Does anyone know the actual wording of the rule about using feet to stop a try?

The rule was brought in to stop grub Slater from sliding in feet first thus endangering the head of the try scorer. Jamie did nothing like this. His feet came up because GI had him by the throat. If it had happened at the other end of the field nothing would have been said.

Did anyone notice Slater in the Dell 'no try'? Slater was sliding in feet first again, but his right leg was tucked back and his left leg was sticking straight out. If you've still got the replay have a look (53rd minute?). In my opinion, this was more in contravention of the rule than what Jamie did.

But of course I'd think that. I have one red eye and one white one! :D

The Major

Bench
I thought the rules were if you were granted a penalty try, you had to convert the try in order to have the second kick from in front. And in this case, Smith missed from the sideline but still got given a crack from in front. Or am i just fumbling with some old school rule perhaps? I heard a few people saying the same thing on the hill so i'm not the only one.

jpaciocco91

Juniors
It was bullsh*t, and I was convinced it would be the start to a storm hammering.
But as usual the mighty saints responded.

Did Soward actually come into contact with GI? Didn't look like it.

LazyDreamer

Bench
If the NRL/Match Review Committee have any desire to appear even remotely consistent, and given the last similar incident was Thurston's kick to the head (a mere grade one charge), then Soward cannot be charged with anything. If he is charged the NRL/MRC may as well have penises sewn to their foreheads. If he is charged & it's more than a grade one charge, I will start lobbying the Federal Government to legalise mandatory euthanasia for people with terminal cluelessness; specifically the NRL/MRC.

Basically, if Soward is charged the NRL/MRC will yet again display what a geniused bunch of geniused geniuss they truly are.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Saw the replay. lol, anyone who watches it again & doesn't he did lashed at the ball with his foot is extremely bias or just plain dumb.

Imagine the uproar if Slater did that to one of our players.

big_dell

Juniors
St George Illawarra five-eighth Jamie Soward says there was nothing malicious in his last gasp defensive effort on Storm star Greg Inglis which saw him placed on report during their NRL clash on Friday night.
Soward was palmed off by the hulking tryline bound Storm centre in the 20th minute and became off balance and flipped up in the air with his legs outstretched, his boot almost connecting with the ball.
Soward's mid air flykick gave up what could have been an eight point try, if Cameron Smith had successfully kicked the conversion, when he was penalised for dangerously defending with his feet and was placed on report.
But the dynamic playmaker was adamant after the Dragons' 26-12 win that he would have no case to answer.
"Yeah I didn't think there was too much in it," Soward said.
"I was just trying to make the tackle, GI's pretty strong and he got me in the right area and my whole body went up.
"So I was pretty disappointed, obviously it was an eight-point try but it was just one of those things that happened and I said to GI straight afterward and we're sweet."
Soward said he wasn't attempting to kick the ball from Inglis's hands.
"No, it's not soccer. It was just one of those things that happened. He's pretty strong and he threw me off and my leg went up," he said.
"I'm not the only person ever to be fended off my Greg Inglis and I won't be the last, he's a good player."
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett said he backed the rule which stops players from defending with their feet on the tryline, but in this instance there was nothing in it.
"Jamie was certainly in a strangle, with a palm out into the throat area and obviously lost his centre of balance and I don't think there was much doubt about that.
"It wasn't that he fell over the tryline or in the process of putting the ball on the tryline and Jamie slid into him which is what that rule was first brought in for, was to cut that type of stuff out.
"They were both fully upright at the time, I'm quite confident, that's the way I see it and that was how it happened."

http://news.leaguehq.com.au/breakin...for-perspective-on-flykick-20090801-e4vd.html

W.B.2.S.O.S

Juniors
I hope he doesnt. Live at the game i said he would get an easy 2 weeks. When i saw the replay it looked more like 1 week. After watching FoxSports news with snipets of the press conference etc. it doesnt look that bad. In full speed it is almost nothing.

dubopov

Coach
Saw the replay. lol, anyone who watches it again & doesn't he did lashed at the ball with his foot is extremely bias or just plain dumb.

Imagine the uproar if Slater did that to one of our players.

did what exactly ??

imagine the uproar if one of our guys grabbed a defender by the throat when "palming off ".

RufusRex

Post Whore
problem is that inglis never actually scored the try in the first place .... he puts it down on sowards leg and then it rolls off the leg and when the point of the ball eventually finds the grass it is on the sideline ..

Latest posts