What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

8-point try

to_ddeath

Coach
Didn't think it was a try anyway. Penalty might have been justified, but it was certainly not a penalty try that's for f**king sure.
No way Sow should get suspended for it.

dubopov

Coach
soward was choked and put off balance, causing his lower body to swing like a pendulum

you'd have to be a dumb merkin not to see that .. whether biased or not.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
At worst he will get a grade 1 charge i mean that is not enough to get a grade 2. And with a grade 1 charge and taking the early guilty plea he wont miss any football.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
And by the way, the rule states you can't lead with your feet in an attempt to stop a try. He didn't lead with his feet, he went with his arms but was grabbed by the throat by that merkin Inglis then fell and nearly kicked Inglis. According to the rules Soward has nothing to answer to.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Soward's only defence is that he was being cartwheeled by one of the best fenders in the game, and that he was being hit in the throat - no mistake imo.

If charged, Soward will have to answer to leading with his legs, which of course is a no-no. Placed on report is warranted.

But I got a laugh out of the media reports suggesting Soward was trying a karate kick to the head of Inglis. Classic fabrication - can't report the news so they make up the news.

Greg Inglis: 6 ft 5 in
Jamie Soward: 5 ft 10 in

Bring back choc

Juniors
it was a definite kick. Didn't look good at all. He'll be lucky if he escapes time on the sidelines. It was far far worse than the thurston incident.

St_Rasso

Juniors
He'll be lucky if he escapes time on the sidelines. It was far far worse than the thurston incident.

Worse than the Thurston incident? You kidding?
Thurston actually kicked a bloke in the face after the guy had already scored the try.

Last night, Soward attempted his tackle, was put in yet another Melbourne Storm choker hold - what is he meant to do? He is so small, Inglis' grip denied him any chance of making a tackle with his hands. The kick didn't look good but what else could he have done?

Also, I had another look at the 53rd minute. Slater indeed slides in with his legs... again. We won't hear anything about it. They brought in the rule to stop Slater from sliding feet first, but while everyone else is now being pinged for it, no one ever cites him for it.

For mine, the Thurston ruling sets a precedent and the fact Soward is being choked and has a clean record should mean that he is able to fight and get off without missing any time. I agree though, that if he is injured and unlikely to play against Penrith, the one game suspension wouldn't be a bad idea to negate any points.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I was at the game and I saw nothing wrong with it, I thought he was put on report for abusing the ref.

If Thurston can get away with kicking someone in the head and giving them a black eye then Soward wil be ok as well

I thought the rules were if you were granted a penalty try, you had to convert the try in order to have the second kick from in front. And in this case, Smith missed from the sideline but still got given a crack from in front. Or am i just fumbling with some old school rule perhaps? I heard a few people saying the same thing on the hill so i'm not the only one.
I think you may have been tucking into one too many magical VB's. The rule is that if a try is scored, and in the process of scoring a try an infringement warranting a penalty results, the try will be awarded with a conversion attempt from in line with where the ball was grounded, with a second kick at goal in front of the posts regardless of whether the 1st conversion was successful.

The second kick at goal is the "penalty" kick if that makes it easier to understand. The first kick is just a regular conversion attempt.

mameimo

Juniors
Who would step up as five-eighth if Soward is suspended, Dean young, matt head?, maybe elevate Beau Henry.

it was an odd moment.

inglis, lets face it could have thrown him into the grandstand if he wanted. however he held him by the throat and ran along. a little bit of retaliation was expected IMO.

yas still won, and he might miss a week. not exactly a huge deal

Big Red V

Juniors
Also, I had another look at the 53rd minute. Slater indeed slides in with his legs... again. We won't hear anything about it. They brought in the rule to stop Slater from sliding feet first, but while everyone else is now being pinged for it, no one ever cites him for it.QUOTE]

Just to add... Anybody notice when Soward made a 20 - 30 metre break and Slater the grub went in with his elbow and took him down from around the back of the head? I'm sure he wont get pulled up for it but just another reason to call the prick a cat.

Soward at the leagues club looked in pain, couldnt put much pressue on his ankle. He said he was in pain but should be right for next week providing he gets off this rubbish call.

That call fired them up a little bit, I thought that was the end for us after that but they pulled together and hammered them. :crazy:

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
jamie soward is the biggest cheat and dirtiest little f#@k in the nrl. to say that his legs were thrust in the air from the fend off just makes me sick. and for wayne bennett to agree with him and say this at the post match conference with a smirk on his face just makes me lose all respect for him also. I will get abused from most of you now i know, but deep down you all now he is a dirty player and if he didnt play for your team yous would hate him too.

Latest posts