What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

94: Superthread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
You can't argue that he's as consistent as JT though.

He's not, no. And JT is a wonderful player.

I'm just responding to the Hayne hate tbh. It's gotten ridiculous, yes - but every muppet and their dog now comes out and start making claims as to his ability. Hayne is a very, very good player. His three tries tonight displayed very different skills - speed, strength and tough.

But some of JT's passes tonight were sublime.

I also think people are making a huge issue out of the kid thing - so he doesn't like Thurston. So what? Is there a law the AFL-loving Pom Gillard has now passed saying if JT hands you his head gear that you must bow down and kiss his ring?

Apey

Staff member
Also, Hayne saved like 3 tries just with his being in the right place at the right time (aka 'positioning').

lol.

I rate him as the best attacking fullback in the comp still ahead of Dugan (for now), but in the bottom half of fullbacks for defence.

perverse

Referee
what sh*ts me about Hayne has nothing to do with his ability, it is his attitude. his fullback game as an actual fullback isn't crash hot either, but it has nothing to do with why i dislike him as a player. he is a massive show pony.

he could be so much better than he is if he put in the hard yards as well as the flashy stuff. that is why i don't like him. hopefully he develops this with maturity. his inconsistency along with his general attitude on the field is a dead set red flag for a lack of effort a lot of the time, and i'm betting he's not the hardest trainer running around either.

blokes like Lockyer, Johns, Slater... these blokes reach the top, the very peak... because they push themselves as hard as they can at training. ask anyone who played or trained with Johns, and they will tell you that for all his faults... he was an amazing student of the game and constantly, over his entire career, worked tirelessly on his faults. i think the fact that he genuinely ended up as the complete package is a testament to this hard work. these sorts of blokes are the ones that are good week in, week out. they are the legends of the game... and it is through not only having the talent, but the balls and mental fortitude to push themselves to the very peak of their god given abilities. if Hayne can adopt this same attitude, he will find consistency and he will be a much better player for it.

adamkungl

Immortal
^ What perverse said.

I hope Parra don't play teams like St Merge and Bulldogs again in the finals (if they make it). I can't fathom cheering for them 2 years in a row

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Problem with little Miss Hayne is he pulls out one or two good games here and there (at least this year anyway). He's woefully inconsistent and lets the media get to him too much, has trouble keeping his chin up.

As perverse said, blokes like Lockyer, Johns, Fittler et al, they were greats because they put their head down and bum up (particularly Johns in that instance :sarcasm:) every week and got the job done. Hayne seems to be an excessively reactionary player when it comes to media scrutiny, and to be fair I've probably seen three good games from him all year - vs us, SOO3, and last night.

Even then Parra were lucky - who lets in 24 points from the worst team in the comp, with the odd dodgy video ref decision thrown in? Fair dinkum.

Martli

Coach
Problem with little Miss Hayne is he pulls out one or two good games here and there (at least this year anyway). He's woefully inconsistent and lets the media get to him too much, has trouble keeping his chin up.

As perverse said, blokes like Lockyer, Johns, Fittler et al, they were greats because they put their head down and bum up (particularly Johns in that instance :sarcasm:) every week and got the job done. Hayne seems to be an excessively reactionary player when it comes to media scrutiny, and to be fair I've probably seen three good games from him all year - vs us, SOO3, and last night.

Even then Parra were lucky - who lets in 24 points from the worst team in the comp, with the odd dodgy video ref decision thrown in? Fair dinkum.

I wonder if its an age thing. He was touted as a superstar quite early on, perhaps he just isn't mature enough to deal with it all yet.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he's 21 and everyone is comparing him to the greats of the game that have either retired or at least nearing the end of their careers

fair dinkum

Agree with Twiz.

Hayne has a good 10 years to cement himself as a great of the game. Thats the problem with the game nowadays. Guys come through at a really young age and get crucified if they can't maintain form. It takes a good 3 or 4 years for players to become consistent.

In this day and age, young blokes burst onto the scene, have a half a year of good Footy and then other teams take note and sit down with video analysis to work them out. It will then take these young guys another two years to add a few different strings to the bow.

Look at Chris Sandow for instance. He is no worse a footballer than when he was rookie of the year, its just that opposition teams did a stack of work on blunting his game. Now they run at him all game and target him in the line to wear him out. They have spoilers running in the back play to take away his chip and chase and they've worked out his long kicking game as well. Now people label him as a rubbish footballer and this is not the case. Its just that other teams have limited his normal options. Its meant that he has to work on his passing game and take the line on a little more. He's also changed his kicking game. Slowly, he is coming good and his last 3 or 4 games have been his best in a while. He is slowly improving and changing his modifying his game so he has more options. It will take him another 12 months but he will be a very good and consistent half back eventually imo.

Mark my words when I say that the same thing will happen to the likes of Dugan and Barba. Opposition sides will work out their game and try to limit their impact and they will be succesful at doing this for a period. Then these guys will have to change up their game plan to cope. It happens to all these young blokes who burst on the scene. Mortimer is going through it as we speak as well.

Last edited:
The difference with Dugan is that the basis of his game is consistency. He's had only two "average" games since he's been in First Grade, and in that period our team has been poor. That's the reason Raiders fans love him, he puts in and performs even when the team is sh*t. He doesn't rely very much on freakish brilliance like Hayne.

Opposition teams target him heavily, and it's got him injured quite a bit. He's on his haunches quite a bit after being tackled, he plays injured regularly. He just needs to get a bit stronger and a bit fitter that's all really.

Already though you see the opposition attempting to play him out of the game. They know he is hard to tackle in broken play so they kick to the wings or dead on the full. No doubt they will also watch what he does in certain circumstances and look to cover his options as well. You would be amazed at the lengths that teams go to nowadays. I remember reading an article on video analysis by one team, (I think it was the Dogs from memory) conducted on Nathan Merritt last year. They'd watched hours of footage of him playing at fullback and literally had a check list of what he would generally do in certain situations. I remember it reading something like, "if there were three or less chases on a kick chase Merritt will try to beat you on the left hand side, more than three, but staggered and he will dummy and step right, more than three in a straight line and he will run to a wing, submit and go for the quick play the ball."

It was that detailed and I'm sure that every club has someone employed to come up with analysis like this on opposition players.

StormChaser

First Grade
His ego is out of control! I heared how at the Lennox head meet and greet with the fans he was monosyllabic to any questions the kids asked him, IF he bothered to answer them at all, looked totally bored the whole time and made zero effort to interact with anyone. My two cousins who are 12 and 9 respectively were gutted! Most of my family are Pawwa fans and even they have f**k all good to say about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.