What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Tommy Smith

Referee
As usual Fittler will be ignored despite having a more stellar record than anyone who has played the game and isn't a cokehead.
I swear it's like he never existed the way his name is never mentioned.

Freddy might be the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen. And he has every achievement in the game to boot.

Devastating running game with that side step; phenomenal passing game; great defender; one of the few genuine geniuses; great leadership, was world class at centre, 5/8 AND lock; led his club, state and country to lots of success... and yet you'd think he was Matt Orford the way he's ignored in this debate.

It's deadset bizarre and there isn't an argument in the world that Lockyer was a better footy player.

M2D2

Bench

Freddy might be the most naturally gifted player I've ever seen. And he has every achievement in the game to boot.

Devastating running game with that side step; phenomenal passing game; great defender; one of the few genuine geniuses; great leadership, was world class at centre, 5/8 AND lock; led his club, state and country to lots of success... and yet you'd think he was Matt Orford the way he's ignored in this debate.

It's deadset bizarre and there isn't an argument in the world that Lockyer was a better footy player.
I prefer freddy by a great deal, alot of people picking locky (who arent from QLD) because thats who they think will get picked.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal

Is this the same fittler who phoned it in for the majority of his career?

JJ

Immortal
Is this the same fittler who phoned it in for the majority of his career?
Not sure he "phoned it in", certainly no more than Lockyer who was a speed bump at times - Fittler just had so much talent that he was expected to completely dominate every game he played - more limited players (like Daley - who was also unmistakably a great) were more conspicuous for their effort

Lazarus who was a premiership and Origin magnet not by coincidence is my pick - I never saw Beetson, but Lazarus is far and away the best prop I've seen, and Clyde is the the other who I guess was too impacted by injuries, but for a period was I reckon the greatest lock ever (and at the time the media agreed - and I hated it because I loved Penrith and despised Canberra)

Tommy Smith

Referee
Phoned it in?

Before Freddy the Roosters were an embarrassment for years.

Freddy then comes to the club and leads us to 9 straight top 6 finishes in his 9 seasons; including 5 Prelims, 4 GFs in 5 years, a minor Premiership and a Premiership.

He then leaves and we resume being shit again for more than half a decade.

His dominance and importance to our club is there for all to see and is easily the equal of Thurston's impact at the Cowboys.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Lol Tommy.
images-17.jpg

He had all the talent to dominate the competition not just be a very good player. The truth is, if you'd remove your blind love for a while, is that he cruised through a lot of games.

Love Freddie (except his commentary) but he's no immortal.

And ftr, he has been mentioned as a potential immortal along with lockyer etc.

King hit

Coach
No chance of that happening.

The QLD propaganda machine is in full swing.

Though one must ask, can you have an Immortal who wouldn't even make his state's all time Origin XIII?

1. Slater
6. Lewis
7. Thurston

Lockyer's captaincy would push Slater back i think. You can even debate whether Thurston would get in ahead of Langer.

Zadar

Juniors
A guy makes one stupid remark and all of a sudden his whole glorious career is brushed.

Ftr, I don't think Mal is in the same category as the other players deemed immortal.

I hated most of the raiders as a kid, main reason, they were good, and I was at the 66-4 hiding against the chooks, meninga fits it for mine, 4 Roo tours, could destroy a defence, respected captain, grand finals, origins, tough era, origin coaching records and best of all was he left the political career after 10min. How the 80s have been left out of an immortal is crazy, not sure what Lockyer has over meninga and kenny and a fair few others to be honest.

parrawentyfan

Juniors
Seriously, I think there should be a rule that they must have retired at least 10, preferably 20 years ago.

Some of the more recent greats should absolutely get there, but not ahead of others which should come first.