What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

THE CHAMP

First Grade
As usual Fittler will be ignored despite having a more stellar record than anyone who has played the game and isn't a cokehead.

Freddy was a great player for sure but he lost more grand finals than he won. Is that your idea of stellar?

Pig Hunter

Juniors
I think Lockyer is going to get it, I don't mind but Provan should be ahead, ahead of a fair few of them as well.

Perth Tiger

Bench
I haven't read the thread and has probably been said but reform the whole bloody thing and do it correctly.

To many players have missed out in the past, not having pre war players is stupid. Set some rules around it and incorporate it with a proper hall of fame. None of this random lets have a new immortal when we want some publicity shit.

Set it up in a per decade groups and have say one or two players per decade in the pre war and then say 2-3 in the post war. Or get someone with more than five minutes of time and put some thought and effort into it with all the people they have at head office.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Personally I feel stats shouldn’t be the be all and end all. More weight should be given to the effect a player has in rugby league during there time playing (out of 20). Misdemeanors(5), RL activities after retirement(5), players stats(10),etc.

johns 18/20,2/5,3/5,6/10 total 29/40.
Meninga 15/20,3/5,4/5, 6/10 total 28/40.
Lewis 18/20,4/5,2/5,6/10 total 30/40.
Lockyer 18/20,3/5,3/5,9/10 total 33.

Don’t know the older players enough to give a honest mark but the influence each player had on their era should account more heavily than any comparing of eras. I’m sure they will get it right.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Personally I feel stats shouldn’t be the be all and end all. More weight should be given to the effect a player has in rugby league during there time playing (out of 20). Misdemeanors(5), RL activities after retirement(5), players stats(10),etc.

johns 18/20,2/5,3/5,6/10 total 29/40.
Meninga 15/20,3/5,4/5, 6/10 total 28/40.
Lewis 18/20,4/5,2/5,6/10 total 30/40.
Lockyer 18/20,3/5,3/5,9/10 total 33.

Don’t know the older players enough to give a honest mark but the influence each player had on their era should account more heavily than any comparing of eras. I’m sure they will get it right.

johns is already inducted.

cam smith and thurston should be disqualified based on any new behavioural criteria. 2 contracts and a watch house visit on their records.

Life's Good

Coach
The sentiment was that up until the early to mid 90s most players weren't paid very much relative to the income made (or potentially made) by the league, and that they should be paid more based on how important they are to the league and the money it generates.

There's a reason why Men of League exists.

I agree the way it came out from Meninga didn't paint him in a good light at the time. The thing is that he would have been one of the better paid players in his time and it's up to him to decide how to manage his affairs. Also, no one was forcing him to sign contracts he wasn't happy with.

I always thought MoL(great organisation BTW)existed for players who have fallen on hard times, not those that felt hard done by?

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
johns is already inducted.

cam smith and thurston should be disqualified based on any new behavioural criteria. 2 contracts and a watch house visit on their records.

The criteria would have to be made around current immortals otherwise any behavioral benchmarks could have johns immortal status revoked. Base it around what makes the current immortals so special and work backwards from there.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
The criteria would have to be made around current immortals otherwise any behavioral benchmarks could have johns immortal status revoked. Base it around what makes the current immortals so special and work backwards from there.

lol johns is an immortal for life, you can keep dreaming about that recognition being taken away from it. i don't mind any new behavioural criteria applying to the shady likes of smith and thurston.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
lol johns is an immortal for life, you can keep dreaming about that recognition being taken away from it. i don't mind any new behavioural criteria applying to the shady likes of smith and thurston.

Nothing is for life. If Langlands lived longer his immortal status could of been in trouble. Smith and thurston are angels compared to Johns.

Knight Vision

First Grade
if immortals are inducted carelessly and in large volume the concept will be diluted and lose value.

Create a Hall of Fame for your Thurstons, Sterlings, Kennys,Langers, etc etc .

Immortals should be those that fundamentally changed the role of their position on the field or in some way made an everlasting mark on the game itself that would stand the test of time.

Last edited:

M2D2

Bench
Nothing is for life. If Langlands lived longer his immortal status could of been in trouble. Smith and thurston are angels compared to Johns.
Johns never had 2 contract and systematically cheated the game, and we all know what Thurston allegedly did.
Comparing that to doing some eccies.
No. If anything Johns is the Angel compared to Smith & Thurston.