What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A better Finals System

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not unfair. The top 4 teams can all lose a game and still get a second chance.

ngap

Juniors
Like with the suggested system elsewhere. The reward for 1st and 2nd is the hardest posiible match up.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
Mark Rudd said:
why does 3 have to play against 5, while lower placed 4 gets to play 6

similarly, why does 5 have to play against 3, while lower placed 6 gets an easier game against 4

I dont like numbers. Maybe you should use the actuall teams if the higher place teams all win. Then explain it.

sorry dude, but if you dont understand already then i'm wasting my time going any further

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Go back to the ARL system, not the AFL system. They stole ours and its works fine, we stole theirs and it sucks.

Mark Rudd

Juniors
Hang on. You saying - assuming highest teams win and radiers/cowboys out - Broncos(3) play Dragons(5) and Penrith(4) play Storm(6) in Week 2?

savage? Is that what you meant? You never explained it.

i would go
Week 1
Game A 1st v 3rd Winner week off
Game B 2nd v 4th Winner Week off
Game C 5th v 7th Loser Gone
Game D 6th v 8th Loser Gone

Week 2
Game E Loser of Game A v Winner of Game C Loser Gone
Game F Loser of Game B v Winner of Game D Loser Gone

Week 3
Game G Winner of Game A v Winner Of Game F Loser Gone
Game H Winner Of Game B v Winner Of Game E Loser Gone

Week 4
Game I Winner of Game G v Winner Of Game H

Eels Dude

Coach
madunit said:
oops. Innsane picked up on an error.

I try again.

Week 1

Game A - 7th vs 8th - Loser Eliminated
Game B - 5th vs 6th
Game C - 3rd vs 4th
Game D - 1st vs 2nd

Week 2

Game E - Winner A vs Loser B - Loser Eliminated
Game F - Winner B vs Loser C - Loser Eliminated
Game G - Loser D vs Winner C

Week 3

Game H - Winner E vs Winner F - Loser Eliminated
Game I - Winner D vs Winner G - Loser Eliminated

Week 4

Game J - Winner H vs Winner I

The most obvious problem with your system is that teams 6 and 7 have an easier road the grand final than teams 2 and 3
:?

The second problem is that assuming all the favourites win, 1st plays 2nd for one grand final spot, and 4th plays 5th for the other
:?

Eels Dude

Coach
Eye of the Tiger, your system is the same as the AFL's current system except for the fact that you've swapped 3rd with 4th and 7th with 8th in the first week.

Ilya

Juniors
What happens to the winner of Game G? Do they just disappear for some odd reason? That's one hell of a finals system.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ilya said:
What happens to the winner of Game G? Do they just disappear for some odd reason? That's one hell of a finals system.

madunit said:
Game G - Loser D vs Winner C

Week 3

Game H - Winner E vs Winner F - Loser Eliminated
Game I - Winner D vs Winner G - Loser Eliminated

Broncodroid

Juniors
I am still a firm believer in the top 5 which will not eventuate as the NRL would lose too much money. So I look at the Top 6 system I read in one of the Sunday papers. It works something like this:

Week1

#1 and #2 miss the first week of the finals

G1 #3 plays #6 at HOME (elimination)
G2 #4 plays #5 at HOME (elimination)

Week 2

G3 #1 and #2 play in a major semi final, winner straight to GF

G4 Winner of G1 plays Winner G2 in a elimination final

Week 3

G5 Loser G3 vs Winner G4; winner to GF

Week 4

G3 winner vs G5 winner

Points of interest:

* Winner of G3 has one week off after the completiton of regular season and then has another week off if winning in the major semi...alot of pro's and con's there
* Where is G3 played ? Is it played at #1's HOME or a neutral field ? If played at home, #2 forfeits a HOME game in the finals. Fair ?

Just my 2c..