What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A history of American League

roopy

Referee
I'm thinking it would be good to have a history of American Rugby League as a sticky at the top of the page - so i'll write one - but it would be good to have input from forum members as to what should be included.

Off the top of my head;

The 1953 tour of Australia by the American 'All Stars'

The exhibition games played by Aussie and UK teams in the 70's and 80's

Manfred Moore at the Newtown Jets

David Nui and the World Sevens teams

The start of the USRL

Test matches V Canada

Emerging nations World cup

The 'Sunshine state Challenge' and the demise of the USRL

The start of the AMNRL

The Era of the Bulls

The 2002 tour of Australia

The test V Russia in Russia

The emergence of the Knights and Wildcats

I think that brings us up to 2004

roopy

Referee
Joker said:
In any history of the RL in the USA, you must devote a good section to Mike Mayer.
I wonder how close Mayer got to actually getting a comp off the ground?
I think he had a lot to do with the exhibition games in the 70s and 80s.

The Observer

Staff member
Mayer, with some help from Peter Deakin (ex Bradford, Warrington, Saracens and Sale RU CEO) was the major driving force behind the Wigan Warrington games and the State of Origin match. British publication Open Rugby (now Rugby League World magazine) published a detailed series of articles over 5 months in 1997.

If Mayer had not been actively hindered and sabotaged by the ARL and RFL administrations of the time, then RL might have had a solid presence in the USA today - it is a sad story. Mayer is far inspirational than any other person ever involved in RL in the USA.

Did you read those articles in Open Rugby?

Big Bunny

Juniors
*John Morgan, the Patriots and the TV League that actually got off the ground for a couple of games before being canned.

*Also some background about the African-American Cavalry man that played in England during the early days of the league.

*The North West League

*The Tri-County RL

roopy

Referee
Joker said:
Did you read those articles in Open Rugby?

No, but I can remember reading articles about him when the events were actually happening. From memory he was an experienced gridiron player and I think he might have had something to do with Mark Harris getting a run in gridiron as well. (could be wrong).

Tomahawk

Staff member
Don't forget

Tomahawk's vs. South Sydney Jr's.

Tomahawk's vs. Kiwi select "A" team.

Tomahawk's vs. Japan, Battle of the East.

Bulls and Mantaray's vs. the British Royal Engeeners (I think that was the team, not 100% sure). This was two different matches, Bulls one Mantaray's the other.

JRL champion vs. AMNRL champion this past season

There is a couple more you forgot.

Tomahawk

Tomahawk

roopy

Referee
OK, I think this will take some time to complete - but I think it will come together over the next few months till the season kicks off.

I have a 'few sevens' posts that cover some aspects and I have started putting them together. I now have about 3000 words with a short preamble and the start of a rundown of the 1953 tour.

I think it can all be done under headings - meaning each 'chapter' could be written separately, so I will write it up bit by bit and post it 'chapter' by 'chapter'. People can then add or correct as needed. In the end I'm sure we will have a very good history. My estimate is that it will run out at 10,000 words, which is roughly 20 A4 pages.

Tomahawk

Staff member
Roopy;

Make sure you run it past hot dog before you are done. Don't want him to wine and cry if you have something in there he thinks is not true.

Tomahawk

joshreading

Staff member
Do you know there have been multiple league organisations that have tried to introduce League to the US including World Rugby League based out of Florida and a group that was applying for a Euro Super League position.

roopy

Referee
joshreading said:
Do you know there have been multiple league organisations that have tried to introduce League to the US including World Rugby League based out of Florida and a group that was applying for a Euro Super League position.
Josh, any references would be good.

roopy

Referee
Tomahawk said:
Roopy;

Make sure you run it past hot dog before you are done. Don't want him to wine and cry if you have something in there he thinks is not true.

Tomahawk
The way I see it i'll be running it past anyone who wants to comment on the message board by posting my 'first draft' and doing any re writing necessary.
I'm sure I will get things wrong at the first attempt - but I've actually written a book before and that one took me about 15 full re writes and about 5 years to get right (it was a project about 20 times the size of this one).