What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A-League squads

MEE

Juniors
Nick Mrdja is a good signing for the Mariners.

The NSW teams look the strongest at this point of time.

Glenn said:
Things are looking good for the Mariners with more signings announced yesterday, plus several more in the works.
Going to be so good to see a packed Express Advocate stadium watching the Mariners 8)

They have hit a snag with Gumprecht's Visa papers but hopefully that will soon be sorted.

perth sharkie

Juniors
MEE said:

As a Glory season ticket holder, I can honestly say that Mrdja is no where near as good as the press make him out to be. He is one of the few ex-Glory players that I'm glad we didn't re-sign.

MEE

Juniors
perth sharkie said:
MEE said:
As a Glory season ticket holder, I can honestly say that Mrdja is no where near as good as the press make him out to be. He is one of the few ex-Glory players that I'm glad we didn't re-sign.
fair enough. to be honest i've only seen him play 2 or 3 times.

Uf**k Talay has signed with Sydney FC from Galatasray. He's a banner makers dream.

Dogaholic

First Grade
MEE said:
perth sharkie said:
MEE said:
fair enough. to be honest i've only seen him play 2 or 3 times.

Uf**k Talay has signed with Sydney FC from Galatasray. He's a banner makers dream.

Sydney net Talay

December 23, 2004

SYDNEY FC are poised to complete the signing of highly rated Uf**k Talay after the midfielder won a release from his Turkish club.

One of the best players never to play for the Socceroos, Talay, 28, believes a move home will place him under the eye of Frank Farina when the A-League kicks off in August.

He has spent six years in Turkey with Gazientspor, Galatasaray and most recently second division Mersyn Ydman Yurdu.

Talay also played in a Marconi premiership-winning team with Sydney CEO Andy Harper and Steve Corica.

Mambo

Juniors
Seems to be a three horse race between Newcastle United, Central Coast Mariners (does anyone else reckon they stole this from the Hunter Mariners...anyway I digress) and Sydney FC.

As an aside, its great to see Australian Football make a real attempt at being a serious sport in this country, but I can't help but feel sad at the loss of my Parramatta Power. I'm sure many other fans feel the same. I can sort of relate it to how I felt in 2000/01 when Souths were out. It must be a very similar feeling to what Noth Sydney Bears fans feel, and they've lost the Spirit as well.

perth sharkie

Juniors
Mambo said:
As an aside, its great to see Australian Football make a real attempt at being a serious sport in this country, but I can't help but feel sad at the loss of my Parramatta Power. I'm sure many other fans feel the same. I can sort of relate it to how I felt in 2000/01 when Souths were out. It must be a very similar feeling to what Noth Sydney Bears fans feel, and they've lost the Spirit as well.

I went to the NSL Grand Final at Parramatta Stadium in April between Parramatta Power and Perth Glory. They really had a great bunch of supporters and were very friendly when we visited them, particularly the "Bay 41" lads. Good banter, and no agro or trouble. They were very welcoming to us. It was sad to see the club go and I feel sorry for these fans. But what can you do when the team only got crowds of 2,000 per game no matter how successful they were on the pitch? Hopefully they will get behind the new Sydney team.

Mambo said:
Seems to be a three horse race between Newcastle United, Central Coast Mariners (does anyone else reckon they stole this from the Hunter Mariners...anyway I digress) and Sydney FC.

No it was not stolen from the Hunter Mariners. It was narrowed down to three names

Thunder (Mens Team)
Lightning (Womens Team)

The above was the original thought bought about after numerous beers at a certain Wynyard Hotel.

Spirit (not very good reputation in the business sector)
Mariners

It was decided the Mariners as Central Coast is on Brisbane Waters and Mariners is easily identifiable with the coast as opposed to the above. Personally I liked the original idea.

stuke

Bench
Reported in todays Newcastle Herald, Richie Johnson has managed to get a release from his contract at QPR and should officially sign for Newcastle on the weekend or early next week.

He will be great for the club and the competition. He is the type of player that needs to be attracted back to the competition and is great as he is a local lad as well. :clap:

Newcastle have also signed Matt Thompson (ex Parramatta Power) and are hopeful of finalising deals with three more players within a week.

Newcastle look to be shaping up nicely.

nöyd

Staff member
I played juniors with Richie before he went to Watford. He will be a great asset to the Jets, provided he can stay injury free.

Moffo

Referee
If Sydney FC don't go good early you can expect crowds of 5,000 within 12 wks

MEE

Juniors
Moffo said:
If Sydney FC don't go good early you can expect crowds of 5,000 within 12 wks
Comparing current squads it's a pretty safe bet they'll do well.

Apparently Arie Haan is 90% certain to be Sydney FC's coach.

Sydney FC are believed to have settled on Dutchman Arie Haan as their head coach for their debut season in the A-League.
The 56-year-old former Dutch international, scorer of one of the World Cup's finest goals, in 1978, is believed to have been offered a two-year deal worth $1.2 million per season to take Sydney into the new competition. Englishman Ian Crook, who has been heavily involved in assembling the squad so far, will remain as assistant coach.
Haan has been out of work since being dumped as coach of the Chinese national team in mid-November. In a result which caused a national outcry, China were eliminated from World Cup qualifying on goal difference by Kuwait, despite beating Hong Kong 7-0 in their final qualifier.
Haan is set to arrive within a fortnight to take the reins of Sydney, who are due to start pre-season training in the first week of February. Sydney have already signed 15 of the 20 players permitted under the A-League's roster system, with Haan sure to use his contacts in Europe to fill the remaining five vacancies, which include a 'marquee' player.

Moffo

Referee
1.2mil per season???

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Freaking hell, they'd better hope they are successful or he'll be shot. No sports athlete in Australia in AFL,Rugby,League or anything else would be on 1.2mil a year

girvie

Staff member
Adelaide United

Confirmed Signings: (14)

Richard Alagich (AU)
Ross Aloisi (AU)
Robert Bajic (AU)
Daniel Beltrame (Parramatta Power)
Chad Bugeja (White City Woodville, SA)
Angelo Costanzo (Marconi Stallions)
Aaron Goulding (AU)
Matthew Kemp (AU)
Michael Matricciani (Campbelltown, SA)
Lucas Pantelis (Parramatta Power)
Kristian Rees (AU)
Michael Valkanis (AU)
Carl Veart (AU)
Aurelio Vidmar (AU)

Central Coast Mariners

Confirmed Signings: (18 )

Michael Beauchamp (Parramatta Power)
Nigel Boogaard (Newcastle United)
Damian Brown (Newcastle United)
Andrew Clark (APIA Leichhardt, NSW Premier League)
John Crawley (Blacktown City, NSW Premier League)
Andre Gumprecht (Parramatta Power)
Dean Heffernan (Sydney United)
John Hutchinson (Northern Spirit)
Adam Kwasnik (Northern Spirit)
Nick Mrdja (Perth Glory)
Paul O’Grady (Parramatta Power)
Matt Osman (Northern Spirit)
Wayne O’Sullivan (Northern Spirit)
Stewart Petrie (Northern Spirit)
Tom Pondeljak (Perth Glory)
Noel Spencer (Northern Spirit)
Daniel Vukovic (Parramatta Power)
Alex Wilkinson (Northern Spirit)

Kingz Football Club

Confirmed Signings: (4)

Darren Bazeley (Walsall, England)
Danny Hay (KFC)
Noah Hickey (KFC)
Danny Milosevic (Leeds United, England)

Melbourne Victory

Confirmed Signings: (1)

Archie Thompson (Lierse, Belgium)

Newcastle United

Confirmed Signings: (12)

Nick Carle (Marconi Stallions)
Craig Deans (NU)
Andrew Durante (Parramatta Power)
Steve Eagleton (NU)
Richard Johnson (QPR – England)
Ante Milicic (Parramatta Power)
Stuart Musialik (NU)
Jade North (Perth Glory)
Franco Parisi (Sydney United)
Liam Reddy (Sydney United)
Matt Thompson (Parramatta Power)
Jobe Wheelhouse (NU)

Queensland Lions

Confirmed Signings: (9)

Michael Baird (Sydney Olympic)
Royce Brownlie (Brisbane Strikers)
Karl Dodd (Brisbane Strikers)
Chad Gibson (Marconi Stallions)
Scott Higgins (Brisbane Strikers)
Matt McKay (Brisbane Strikers)
Jordan Simpson (St George, NSW Premier League)
Tyler Simpson (St George, NSW Premier League)
Tom Willis (Newcastle United)

Perth Glory

Confirmed Signings: (13)

Simon Colosimo (Parramatta Power)
Bobby Despotovski (PG)
Henry Fa’Arodo (Melbourne Knights)
Jamie Harnwell (PG)
Matt Horsley (PG)
Hiroyuki Ishida (Sydney Olympic)
Milan Jovanic (Veternik, Serbia & Montenegro)
Ante Kovacevic (South Melbourne)
Scott Miller (PG)
Naum Sekulovski (Parramatta Power)
Daniel Vasilevski (Melbourne Knights)
Nick Ward (Stirling Lions, WA)
Stuart Young (Wollongong Wolves)

Sydney FC

Confirmed Signings: (15)

Clint Bolton (Parramatta Power)
Alvin Ceccoli (Parramatta Power)
Steve Corica (Walsall, England)
Steve Laurie (South Melbourne)
Robbie Middleby (NU)
Mark Milligan (Northern Spirit)
Wade Oostendorp (NSWIS)
Andrew Packer (Sydney Olympic)
Justin Pasfield (Bray Wanderers, Ireland)
Saso Petrovski (Parramatta Power)
Mark Rudan (Sydney United)
Alejandro Salazar (University of Portland, USA)
Uf**k Talay (Mersin Ydman Yurdu, Turkey)
Jacob Timpano (Wollongong Wolves)
David Zdrilic (Eintracht Trier, Germany)

SP

Bench
The Kingz have changed their names to the New Zealand Knights :|

it was better as Football Kingz imo

MEE

Juniors
SP said:
The Kingz have changed their names to the New Zealand Knights :|

it was better as Football Kingz imo
I prefer Knights.

I like there logo too.