What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Leaguie's opinion on AFL

Johns Magic

Referee
I went to the Swans match a few weeks ago with Joshua- my first AFL attendance. It was against St. Kilda. I went to the game expecting it to be boring and bland. But how wrong I was! The game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and the skills showcased were amazing.

I have realised that AFL is a top sport, and I can't wait to go to another game.

How did you guys come to love the game of AFL?

Cricketer

Juniors
I was born and bred in Western Sydney and my family is all from NSW. My Dad made us follow Parramatta but we still watched the VFL on the TV every Saturday arvo. I follow Richmond and have done so for 25 years. From there I saw myself winging my way to Melbourne to see the Tigers play and bought a membership. Have never looked back. I dont mind league, but prefer Australian Rules. I pay alot to be a member and to have voting rights and it feels good to have a say in the clubs future. The skills are very high and I love the ebb and flow. Everything about it is awesome, its a religion during Winter in my family now as my Wife has followed the Bombers all her life. Gotta love living in Melbourne, footy is the top story every day during winter and I cant get enough of it, that and cricket.

Joshua

Juniors
I went to the Swans match a few weeks ago with Joshua- my first AFL attendance. It was against St. Kilda. I went to the game expecting it to be boring and bland. But how wrong I was! The game had me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and the skills showcased were amazing.

I have realised that AFL is a top sport, and I can't wait to go to another game.

A buck in the hands of a frog is no longer a buck

It is a piano

meltiger

First Grade
Johns Magic said:

Moved to Melbourne when I was 9. No one would be friends with me unless I picked a team... :) lol

Stevo_G

Juniors
i started supporting afl only when most of brisbane decided to when the lions started to win ;-)

meltiger

First Grade
Johns Magic said:
meltiger said:
Johns Magic said:

Moved to Melbourne when I was 9. No one would be friends with me unless I picked a team... :) lol

So who did you pick?

Well, I'd spent 9 years listening to family bag the Swans so Sydney was out of the question ... I support Balmain so went with the Tigers (Sometimes I think unfortunately) and am now as loyal a Richmond supporter as you can get.

Thresher

Juniors
I started during this last off season, I watched lots of the fox footy & I started to learn how it works. I support Richmond.

CyberKev

Staff member
Glad you enjoyed the experience, Johns Magic...

Let's hope that Natarsha & Biggy Flop don't read of your exploits or they'll need to be heavily medicated...

Well, that is to say, even more heavily medicated than usual :p

I follow the troubled Hawthorn club, having started doing so when things were brighter back in 1975.

I was torn between Essendon & Richmond as my brothers barracked for these sides, but when my best friend came back from a Hawthorn vs Fitzroy match waxing lyrical about the Hawks, the die was cast.

No regrets, even if the past few seasons have brought a lot more agony than ecstacy. :cry:

CyberKev

Cupid Stunt

Western for mine. League has been & always will be first but unlike a few around here I can handle the fact that there are other sports.

As for why Western, for as long as I can remember they have been the toughest club going. Other teams have a season or 2 of being hard but the Dogs are always up for a physical game. :D

Rustay

Juniors
meltiger said:
loyal a Richmond supporter as you can get.

I didnt know they existed ;-)

I am from Perth and although was brought up in a union background still supported the Eagles from a very young age, because there is so much AFL on over here.

Love going to the games cos the atmosphere at Subi is brilliant.

Beaussie

First Grade
I used to play league as a junior and followed the Bulldogs and the Panthers, going to most of their home and away games in Sydney. One weekend my father, who was a Collingwood man from Victoria took me to the SCG to see a Swans game. I instantly feel in love with the fast paced nature of the game and the atmosphere created by the crowds - even though back then in the early nineties they were lean years. Joined the Swans as a member the next year and have never looked back since.

All I want now is a premiership. Being at the 1996 AFL GF was very heartbreaking. :cry:

2004 - Year of the Swans.

astrogirl

First Grade
Johns Magic said:

An ex-boyfriend loves the sport but I've only really been interested in the last couple of years. It's simply an awesome game. I enjoy the spectacle of the game a lot more than league, however I follow the Knights a lot more closely than I follow the Swans.

Swans v St Kilda would have been awesome! I was at Swans v Bulldogs a couple of weeks prior to that - still good though. Oh, and watching AFL at the ground is far superior than trying to work on what is going on on TV.

stevo

Juniors
i must admit i used to be a huge afl fan. i still love the eagles but don't get to watch many games. now that i live in qld i watch and follow the nrl. go the blues!

subi is awsome to watch games at but so is the gabba. i was at the eagles lions game there last year and when we beat the lions it was sensational. the only game that i have enjoyed more live was the knights broncs game this year at lang park. golden point, extra time, i couldn't sit still!

like astrogirl said afl is heaps hard to follow on the tv. it's too fast and the cameras don't do it justice. whereas with league it great. close ups on all the big hits it gold.

xxxx!

Juniors
I played RU at school , then RL for Clovelly the AR for East Sydney after watching South Melbourne in the VFL on Saturday TV .So it was only natural to follow the Swans when they came to Sydney . Going to the SCG I noticed a big chasm between in the atmosphere between a Rooster's game an a Swans game .That was when they had Fairfax , Harris and Beetson .

AuckMel

Bench
I was brought up on the Rugby codes, although I much prefer League. First came across Rules on the tv and thought it was a stupid game.

Like most things though, if you give it a chance it can grow on you. Something Victorians and Newsouthwelshmen could well learn.

The game is ten times better to watch live as you can actually see the play unfold. I went to my first game of the year on saturday (took my brother to the MCG) normally go to at least four or five games a year.

Follow the gretest club team in Australia, Eddiew....I mean Collingwood (it's the black and white thing) Not having a great year, but neither are the Warriors, so no finals football this year.

Enjoy the game, but would like to meet someone (anyone) who would talk about something else. :D

Latest posts