What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A message for Souths fans

Is it any wonder that your crap club can't sign any decent players. Souths are serial wooden spooners, They haven't made the semis since 1989, they haven't won a comp since 1971 and the last time you beat the Roosters in a premiership game was 1994.
After reading your charming comments about Harrison I'm sure he can't wait to get out of the place. The bloke has tried his guts out for Souths, week in week out and yet what has he got to show for it. Souths are 2nd last and a fourth consecutive wooden spoon is well and truly on the cards. The outlook for next year is even worse. Playing in a crap side in front of 6000 in the biggest stadium in Australia, the atmosphere will be non existant. Add to this the other fact that Souths will get smashed from pillar to post would hardly give the bloke a reason to re-sign.
Someone said that he should be hung, drawn and quartered for knocking back Souths captaincy to sign with Easts, that it's the ultimate insult. I'll let you in on a little secret....It's not 1971 anymore and Souths ARE NOT a rugby league powerhouse, instead they are a laughing stock. Any player who wants a shot at premiership glory will join Brisbane, Canterbury, Parra, Easts and maybe one other.
That's why Ashley Harrison has joined the Roosters. It's why Chris Walker joined the Roosters, It's why Craig Wing stayed with Easts even though his contract gave him the option of going back to Souths on their readmittance. It's why Bell joined Manly and it's why Orford will join Manly and also why Braith Anasta will announce tomorrow that he has signed with Easts. Anasta, a player who's uncle is the patriarch of Souths. A player who was offered $700,000 to be a rabbitoh and yet through all of this Anasta has decided to join a club where he has a realistic chance of winning a comp and a realistic chance of improving his rep career.
The notion that Souths are the pride of the comp is a misnomer. Souths future is on thin ice and unless they move to the Central Coast and take advantage of what that area has to offer them then they may as well register with the Metro Cup because that is where they are heading!

Earl

Coach
Isn't it strange though, how all these players do sign with the roosters yet they still can'y even buy a Premiership.

Dogs Of War

Coach
But it so true. I know they are trying, but it just seems so futile. They will need to hope some more juniors keep poring through the ranks, otherwise their existance will come to an end sooner rather than later.

Snoop Shark

First Grade
Rooster Cokhead. said:
Is it any wonder that your crap club can't sign any decent players. Souths are serial wooden spooners, They haven't made the semis since 1989, they haven't won a comp since 1971 and the last time you beat the Roosters in a premiership game was 1994.
After reading your charming comments about Harrison I'm sure he can't wait to get out of the place. The bloke has tried his guts out for Souths, week in week out and yet what has he got to show for it. Souths are 2nd last and a fourth consecutive wooden spoon is well and truly on the cards. The outlook for next year is even worse. Playing in a crap side in front of 6000 in the biggest stadium in Australia, the atmosphere will be non existant. Add to this the other fact that Souths will get smashed from pillar to post would hardly give the bloke a reason to re-sign.
Someone said that he should be hung, drawn and quartered for knocking back Souths captaincy to sign with Easts, that it's the ultimate insult. I'll let you in on a little secret....It's not 1971 anymore and Souths ARE NOT a rugby league powerhouse, instead they are a laughing stock. Any player who wants a shot at premiership glory will join Brisbane, Canterbury, Parra, Easts and maybe one other.
That's why Ashley Harrison has joined the Roosters. It's why Chris Walker joined the Roosters, It's why Craig Wing stayed with Easts even though his contract gave him the option of going back to Souths on their readmittance. It's why Bell joined Manly and it's why Orford will join Manly and also why Braith Anasta will announce tomorrow that he has signed with Easts. Anasta, a player who's uncle is the patriarch of Souths. A player who was offered $700,000 to be a rabbitoh and yet through all of this Anasta has decided to join a club where he has a realistic chance of winning a comp and a realistic chance of improving his rep career.
The notion that Souths are the pride of the comp is a misnomer. Souths future is on thin ice and unless they move to the Central Coast and take advantage of what that area has to offer them then they may as well register with the Metro Cup because that is where they are heading!

Your a maggot:evil:

Stranger

Coach
Pure sh*t that is.

If a team took Fittler off the roosters you would have been calling for his head aswell.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Amen to that.

Cogburn...shut up, how would you like it if the Roosters went down and knocked out of the comp, to be re-embursed (spelling) in the comp while gettin wooden spoon over and over again and then have your undoubtebly best player leave? you wouldnt like it at all, so jus stop giving them anymore grief than what they already have.

renouf

Juniors
heh.. coming from a plastic team like the Roosters.. who buy every single player they own

oh what about the Roosters supporters.. how plastic are they.. the kind that only turn up when their winning.

Souths on the other hand are a very very unfortunate mob who get cheated by the referees week in week out and have a supporters who turn up week in week out. They have a hell of a lot more spirit then the Roosters.

PS. The Roosters are cheats, but they aren't getting away with as much now that Miss Fittler is retired.

yobbo84

Coach
I partly agree with some of what you're saying but my question is this. What can they do?

1. They're one of the top 3 sponsored clubs in terms of dollars in the NRL.
2. They receive $5m a year in corporate support.
3. They are one of few clubs to remain financially solvent without relying on a League's Club grant, and thus won't be affected by the pokie tax.
4. Because of the above they are now financially viable (which they weren't in the late 90's) and have the money to offer players.
5. After 2 years out, the junior talent is starting to shine though. John Sutton, Yileen Gordon, Beau Champion, Shannon McPherson, Manase Manuokafoa, Mick Moran, Roy Bell all come through the grades. Champion and Gordon were part of last year's SG grand final side. They're used to winning.
6. They need to buy some senior players to help these young guys through. You see it with Brisbane.. they can pick 17 year olds because they have the old heads to help them.
7. They offer good money, it's a nice area to live in (no not Redfern, I mean Botany, Maroubra, etc).

What else can they do except the above? It will take some name players with balls and the desire to help us out to turn us around. Juniors can't do it alone.

After 15 years I just don't know when or how we can turn it around.

What do others think? And please don't just reply something along the lines of you're crap, a joke, move to the CC etc etc because I'm already feeling like sh*t.

God-King Dean

Immortal
WTF are you talking about

Roosters can't win it either

He went to Souths cuz they offered him $. He's going to Roosters because they are gonna give him more $

If we wanted a premiership chance, don't you think he would have stayed in Brisbane

cainen

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
What else can they do except the above?

They need to somehow instill some loyalty into their players so they don't go running when given the chance.

DJ1

Juniors
Immortal said:

He went to Souths cuz they offered him $. He's going to Roosters because they are gonna give him more $

If we wanted a premiership chance, don't you think he would have stayed in Brisbane

Bingo!

Tom Arber

Juniors
yobbo84 said:
I partly agree with some of what you're saying but my question is this. What can they do?

1. They're one of the top 3 sponsored clubs in terms of dollars in the NRL.
2. They receive $5m a year in corporate support.
3. They are one of few clubs to remain financially solvent without relying on a League's Club grant, and thus won't be affected by the pokie tax.
4. Because of the above they are now financially viable (which they weren't in the late 90's) and have the money to offer players.
5. After 2 years out, the junior talent is starting to shine though. John Sutton, Yileen Gordon, Beau Champion, Shannon McPherson, Manase Manuokafoa, Mick Moran, Roy Bell all come through the grades. Champion and Gordon were part of last year's SG grand final side. They're used to winning.
6. They need to buy some senior players to help these young guys through. You see it with Brisbane.. they can pick 17 year olds because they have the old heads to help them.
7. They offer good money, it's a nice area to live in (no not Redfern, I mean Botany, Maroubra, etc).

What else can they do except the above? It will take some name players with balls and the desire to help us out to turn us around. Juniors can't do it alone.

After 15 years I just don't know when or how we can turn it around.

What do others think? And please don't just reply something along the lines of you're crap, a joke, move to the CC etc etc because I'm already feeling like sh*t.

What else can Souths do?

1. Sign a coach who will be trusted by great players to make them better - Tim Sheens at the Tigers is a good example of a struggling club getting it right. Souths, since readmission, have had two duds, a reserve grader and an unknown quantity. Spend some of those millions and sign Warren Ryan for a couple of years right now.

2. Move. There is no future at Redfern, not in corporate terms, not in sponsor or supporter terms, and certainly not in home ground terms. Grab the spot on the Central Coast, a brilliant stadium and Australia's best rugby league demographic... before someone else does.

3. Stop living on past glories, and expecting respect because of what you achieved two generations ago. Build the future, rather than reliving the past. Tradition DOES NOT win premierships.

4. Cut out George Piggins tongue - he is like the freedom fighter who becomes an embarrassment once freedom is won. He is the Winnie Mandela of the NRL.

Johns Magic

Referee
Immortal said:

Obviouslyhe didn't know Souths were going to struggle when he joined them.

Immortal said:

Answer this.
Has Brisbane won a comp or made a grand final since Harrison left them?
Have the Roosters won a comp or made a grand final since Harrison left Brisbane?

Latest posts