What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player you thought was gun who was bum???

simon says

First Grade
There is a lot of talk on here about everyone having great juniors and all that.....some of which prove to be awesome,others not so.

Im just interested to know if there was a player you followed through the lower grades that you thought was a gun.....who just didnt produce,or even the other way,a jnr who was ordinary who really kicked on and blew you away.

I'll get the ball rolling......Ive got two Balmain jnrs that I watched keenly that I thought were going to be dead set stars.The first was Jacin Sinclair,he was carving it up in the lowers,and just never made it in the top grade.I reckon it was more attitude than ability.....seemed a bit of a lair and I reckon this may have hindered his evoltion into a top flight first grader(from a reserve).

Another one for me was Michael Gillette,I watched him and he was sooo classy at FB in reserves,but came into a pretty poor Tigers side and was chucked in at 6 and never shone like he did in the lowers.Had moments of brilliance but just didnt cut the mustard,

On the other side of the ledger.....I watched a bit of Junior in the lowers and while he was a solid player(at 6 if my memory holds me correctly)but not the star of the side by far. He exploded onto the scene after only a few games in reserves replacing the ill Neil Pringle.....and was the Balmain player of the year and then toured and was the star of the 82 Kangaroos the next.....that one really came out of left field....caught me by surprise.

Yours?????

The Colonel

Immortal
Martin Seal. Prolific point scorer and more than capable halfback. Played two first grade games.......

He'd make a great - Where are they now?

RABK

Referee
Clint Newton was a great junior. Jnr Kangaroo rep....he made first grade and did nothing special...just a honest toiler with bad handling.

Last year he became one of the comps premier backrowers and will probally find himself in rep footy this year. That's one who went >good>bad>good lol

Greg Bird was very very promising in our lower grades. Nothing but sh*t now.

simon says

First Grade
I rememeber Canberra fans waxing lyrical about Gafa....he was a point scoring machine in PL but never seemed to hit the saem heights in the BIG SHOW.

I reckon a lot of it has to do with how yer team is going......it must be very hard to come into a crap first grade after playing in a successful Reggie side.

simon says

First Grade
The Colonel said:
Martin Seal. Prolific point scorer and more than capable halfback. Played two first grade games.......

He'd make a great - Where are they now?

Ive never heard of this bloke.......when did he play????

RABK

Referee
I have to say...is Soward gonna show somehting soon or what? Just hasn't lived up to the hype if you ask me. Same with Todd Carney. Perhaps this is the year they step up. I mean both have shown potential as good first graders but hardly look like future origin halves.

RABK

Referee
Tim Smith would be one who suprised many...probally most Parra fans. I don't think he was a junior superstar - did he ever make any jnr rep sides? Now he lookes well on his way to a rep jersey.

Scott

Bench
Gene Ngamu - started out great with Manly in 1992 & 93. He could of been anything really. He turned into a liability!

simon says

First Grade
Red and Blue Knight said:
I have to say...is Soward gonna show somehting soon or what? Just hasn't lived up to the hype if you ask me. Same with Todd Carney. Perhaps this is the year they step up.

I must admit I havent seen a lot of the hype that surrounds Soward.....everyones telling me he is a gun but I havent seen too much yet.I know there have only been snippets of him.....in first grade,and the PL GF but he looked very small and didnt do much,missed a few crucial tackles too......this should get the Rooster fans clucking.

On Carney.....I have given Raider fans a bit of stick about him,especially when they dared to compare him to the GREAT Bunji....but I reckon he is a classy player,and if the Raiders forwards give him some space I reckon this year he will start to show some of the skill he has.

skeepe

Immortal
When is Jarrod Mullen going to show any promise? I've heard the Newcastle supporters rave about him but he's been dead ordinary in first grade so far.

Gafa was a major disappointment. He was absolutely sensational in premier league, but oh boy am I glad he's not in first grade anymore.

Royston Lightning is the other name that usually gets dragged up in these sorts of threads. The kid had it all.. speed, skill, you name it. The potential to be one of the best wingers of all time. Instead, he chose sitting on the coach eating Macca's. What a waste.

McLovin

Staff member
Greg Bird showed a lot of promise. Sharks are still hanging onto that promise...

simon says

First Grade
The Colonel said:
1990-1991.

Was the first "Next Peter Sterling".

Gee there were a few "next Sterlings".....I seem to recall a Jason something(with a bad mullet) that was supposed to be the new messiah but just didnt turn out.

There has been a hole at Parra for 20 years since Sterling left.Very hard to replace someone like that.....I wonder if the same will happen after Joey???

Steelers4eva

Juniors
I have to say...is Soward gonna show somehting soon or what? Just hasn't lived up to the hype if you ask me. Same with Todd Carney. Perhaps this is the year they step up. I mean both have shown potential as good first graders but hardly look like future origin halves.

Apparently against the Dragons last week and he was very good.

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Tim Smith would be one who suprised many...probally most Parra fans. I don't think he was a junior superstar - did he ever make any jnr rep sides? Now he lookes well on his way to a rep jersey.

Australian Schoolboys... was chased by 10 clubs.

Scott

Bench
David Woods - was going to be a super player for Parramatta but got so many injuries.

Michael Vella - he started off great. He's been terrible since 2002.

Paullyboy

Coach
One going the other way is Shane Tronc for the cowboys. He was absolutely useless for Redcliffe in the Qld Cup - the worst player on the field by a country mile and he somehow out of the good graces of God was given an opportunity to fill in one day for the cowboys - now he is a regular starter week in, week out.

(Having said that, I dont think he is that good now anyway, but obviously Mr Murray disagrees)

RABK

Referee
skeepe said:
When is Jarrod Mullen going to show any promise? I've heard the Newcastle supporters rave about him but he's been dead ordinary in first grade so far.

Two first grade MOM's in 6 first grade games. Also captain of the Jnr Kangaroos.

Enough said moron.

RABK

Referee
eloquentEEL said:
Australian Schoolboys... was chased by 10 clubs.

Did he play for the Jnr Kangaroos. I know the Knights wearn't one of those ten clubs then. :LOL:

Usually if someone is been chased by ten clubs then they would be talked up on here a lot. Never heard him mentioned until his debut week.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
Tasesa Lavea went from top looking rookie of the year to a nobody when moving to the Eagles. He could have been anything in League. Playing Union now for the Blues but he was a wasted talent that if a good coach had got their hands on him could have been a star.

Also what are the Roosters doing with Lalea Paea? Not even in the first grade squad yet looked great in 2003 now nowhere to be seen. Was he injured? I he another SBW?