What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player you thought was gun who was bum???

Cockadoodledoo said:
Anthony Xuereb from Penrith.. Was a gun when he came into First Grade and then dissapeared without a trace.

Shame about the X Man.

He had a great season in 1991 filling in for Greg Barwick whenever needed, then his downfall came in the Major Semi Final '91 against North Sydney when he literally 'handed' two tries to Norths. Penrith were still able to win by two points though.

From memory, his major weakness was catching bombs.

Wests signed him in '92. I remember when Penrith played Wests and, being aware of that very weakness, targeted poor old Mr X with a tirade of bombs, which he didn't handle too well and subsequently led to tries

Apparantly he played for Malta recently.

Biscuits

Juniors
Rex Terp-tryscoring freak in reserve grade, a bum in first grade
Chad Randall had plenty fooled.They couldnt see past his surname.
Steve Mavin never really recovered after his total capitulation in the major semi in 87, his debut year.

Biscuits said:
Rex Terp-tryscoring freak in reserve grade, a bum in first grade
Chad Randall had plenty fooled.They couldnt see past his surname.
Steve Mavin never really recovered after his total capitulation in the major semi in 87, his debut year.

But...Who ever rated Steve Mavin though??

Every year at my office - Us NRL tipsters play for: "THE STEVE MAVIN CUP" Named - just a liiiiittle sarcastically - after The Great Man himself! And it is quite rightly a more sought after item than the not-inconsiderable ca$h prize that goes with it! King amongst men (or women) indeed is the man (or woman) that gets to display The Steve Mavin Cup on their desk for the next 12 months!

Yes - we have actually purchased a 2nd hand trophy, and have an engraved plaque to that effect attached to it! Along with individual engraved plaques for each & every winner in fact - including myself - twice! :D And probably after this very season, we are going to have to get ourselves a 'replica' SMC - As the panels are nearly full of plaques since this will be it's 8th wildly successful year now!

And let's face it that's about as famous as he could ever hope to get, really! :lol:

Raider_69

Post Whore
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Bingo!

McLinden was NEVER a halfback!...EVER!!

Fullback/Wing/or even Centre (if he put on some beef, and improved his defence) should have been his role. And that's it.

Whoever moved him to halfback - should be tried for the murder of Mark McLinden's confidence & career!

i disagree
he was born to play 5/8th, had a good short kicking game, could pass well enough and was always dangerous running with the ball... stuffing him around in the backs and halfback, trying to make an organiser out of him was what killed Mark McLinden.

Scorpio30

Bench
On Jacin Sinclair, there is a Matthew Ridge quote that goes something along the lines of "Michael O'Connor asked me what Jacin Sinclair had said and I told him that he'd said 'Come here you black merkin. After the game Im going to take you out behind the grandstand and beat the sh*t out of you.' I just told him to check the score and go back to the drawing board."

The Preacher

First Grade
Bring Back the Spliff said:
But...Who ever rated Steve Mavin though??

Every year at my office - Us NRL tipsters play for: "THE STEVE MAVIN CUP" Named - just a liiiiittle sarcastically - after The Great Man himself! And it is quite rightly a more sought after item than the not-inconsiderable ca$h prize that goes with it! King amongst men (or women) indeed is the man (or woman) that gets to display The Steve Mavin Cup on their desk for the next 12 months!

Yes - we have actually purchased a 2nd hand trophy, and have an engraved plaque to that effect attached to it! Along with individual engraved plaques for each & every winner in fact - including myself - twice! :D And probably after this very season, we are going to have to get ourselves a 'replica' SMC - As the panels are nearly full of plaques since this will be it's 8th wildly successful year now!

And let's face it that's about as famous as he could ever hope to get, really! :lol:

"From now on I want you all to call me Loretta, I want to have babies, It's my right as a man if I want to have babies" :lol:

Green Machine

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Probably our most famous was Michael Patterson, our 1st choice pivot in '81 (kept Kenny in the centres and Ella in the reggies). Went to Souths, made City Firsts, popped both collarbones in a freak tackle, and spent the next decade watching Kenny and Ella dominate the code.
That’s a good one Misty. Mick Patterson and Graham Murray moved to Souths to make way for Kenny and Sterling. In 1982, Mick Patterson was the form 5/8 in the comp leading up to the City V Country game in Newcastle.
Then late in the game…

Phillip Duke from the Moree Boomerangs tackled Patterson from behind (nothing illegal) and Mike did both collarbones. Duke went OK in the City V Country match and was picked in State of Origin III. Who will forget the Phil Sigsworth pass to Duke in-goal and Wally Lewis scoring to win the match and the series.

Then Kenny and Sterling displace Lewis and Mortimer on the Kangaroo Tour. How things can change with one tackle,

Booyah

Bench
Christian 'The Bus' Kerisiano.

Huge unit, the next Mal Meninga. Did absolutely nothing for Cronulla.

Now playing club Rugby for Eastwood.

simon says

First Grade
Another one forme is/was Willie Manu....when I first saw him play i was so excited....he was the strongest bloke I had ever seen,and could pass.step too.Played like Tupou does.

I reckon he is another one that attitude has let him down......

brook

First Grade
Michael Withers - although he could be hardly described as a bum I don't think he ever reached his potential either.

The Colonel

Immortal
Craig Weston - next Australian Schoolboys superstar - the next Wally. Went to the Gold Coast to play under Wally and then was signed by Widnes three times....

The Preacher

First Grade
One for you Parra and Bears fans, Dallas Weston.
Started as a blocker Roach look-a-like in the Parra Flegg, or whatever the 3rds were called then, and finished on the wing for Bears reggies. Showed heaps of promise as a kid, then spent too much time talking to the bathroom mirror.

nqboy

First Grade
Ken Gittins. A Mal Meninga lookalike. Big, fast. Played a few games for Brisbane and then faded into obscurity.

The Colonel

Immortal
The Preacher said:
One for you Parra and Bears fans, Dallas Weston.
Started as a blocker Roach look-a-like in the Parra Flegg, or whatever the 3rds were called then, and finished on the wing for Bears reggies. Showed heaps of promise as a kid, then spent too much time talking to the bathroom mirror.

Actually came back to Parramatta, finshed his career in reggies and is now on the coaching staff at the Bears after doing lower grades with Parramatta last year.

Had hands like buckets - only problem was the buckets were around the wrong way.

HoLLuS

Juniors
Trent Clayton, came to Easts from Redcliffe and scored many a try in reserves but never did anything in firsts, now in England i think.

Green Machine

First Grade
nqboy said:
Ken Gittins. A Mal Meninga lookalike. Big, fast. Played a few games for Brisbane and then faded into obscurity.
I think Wayne Bennett brought him to the Raiders in 1987. Wasn't he an Australian Schholboy rep in League and Union?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Andy Platt. Rated in Britain as one of the best forwards in the world, he then signs with the Warriors for their inaugral season. Because the seasons weren't alligned back then the English players weren't due to arrive until midseason so the Warriors did a deal which including letting go of a talented youngster named Henry Paul so they could bring two of their imports over early.

Latest posts