What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A player you thought was gun who was bum???

Matt Riddle comes immediately to mind of late...Sposed to be the quickest white thing on two legs since Moses had a goatee...Never really progressed with us - never played 1st G and didn't play that many PL games either - Souths took him on 2 years ago - he played a handful of games there - I think he was injured for a while last season....and now he's been fobbed off onto some Jim Beam Cup, or CNRL Group side or other. And not a particularly good one, either.

(Potential) penthouse to outhouse....Man - is it what?? Talk about a slap in the face when SOUTHS turn you loose! :lol:

You can probably add Ben Harris to that too - looked like he could be anything in 2003!...did sweeeeeet FA last season, and at times - did a remarkable impression of an amateur park footballer - not knowing when to pass or hold - getting 'lost at sea' terribly in defence - which is why I spose the club were so compliant in letting Harris go off to Bradford mid-season! Reni Maitua was a FARRRRR better option there for last season - Good call Folkesey!

As I hear it - Harris has been decent at best in the UK since - and not exactly set the world on fire at the Bulls.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Bring Back the Spliff said:
Matt Riddle comes immediately to mind of late...Sposed to be the quickest white thing on two legs since Moses had a goatee...Never really progressed with us - never played 1st G and didn't play that many PL games either - Souths took him on 2 years ago - he played a handful of games there - I think he was injured for a while last season....and now he's been fobbed off onto some Jim Beam Cup, or CNRL Group side or other. And not a particularly good one, either.

(Potential) penthouse to outhouse....Man - is it what?? Talk about a slap in the face when SOUTHS turn you loose! :lol:

You can probably add Ben Harris to that too - looked like he could be anything in 2003!...did sweeeeeet FA last season, and at times - did a remarkable impression of an amateur park footballer - not knowing when to pass or hold - getting 'lost at sea' terribly in defence - which is why I spose the club were so compliant in letting Harris go off to Bradford mid-season! Reni Maitua was a FARRRRR better option there for last season - Good call Folkesey!

As I hear it - Harris has been decent at best in the UK since - and not exactly set the world on fire at the Bulls.
To me Ben Harris just became overweight.. Seems to indicate a lazy attitude to training and perhaps just doesn't really have the desire to use his talent which is considerable.

Red and Blue Knight said:
I have to say...is Soward gonna show somehting soon or what? Just hasn't lived up to the hype if you ask me.

I am prepared to go on record stating that Jamie Soward will have Brett Finch's #7 jersey firmly plastered on his back by round 10....at the outside. Probably sooner.

If you can't see the ability this kid possesses - and has already shown in his few forays into First Grade - and how it far outshines Finch's long-stalled talent...then I can only assume you haven't been watching!

But Sticky WILL play favourites, won't he??! ;)

Balmain_Boy

Will Robinson was the bloke that first came to mind for me.

Good call on Tevita Latu. This bloke is dead set one of the most stupidly frustrating footballers I've see in my life. Could be a top notch hooker if he concentrated on actually playing the game and not carrying on with ****. I remember him getting to a fight at marker against the Tigers and the Tigers dummy half (Galea I think) running 40 metres to score. Terrible attitude.

Cockadoodledoo said:
To me Ben Harris just became overweight.. Seems to indicate a lazy attitude to training and perhaps just doesn't really have the desire to use his talent which is considerable.

His defence was always top-notch!

He was NEVER a speedster though - far from it for a centre, in fact - and would often butcher a try in attack by failing to link up with an outside support at the right time - or throwing a dumb pass, when it was obvious he could get over the stripe himself. He was given the benefit of the doubt here thanks to his rrrrattling defence!

But as I say - he just went WELL off the boil in that dept too in 2004 - I lost count of the times teams rampaged down his side of the field, while he grasped air over in no-man's-land.

Many Bulldogs fans were saying he should be coinsidered for a backrow spot for just that reason...where he could CONCENTRATE on his defence - just around the time he left.

Whilst far from the finished article - He had ability allright though - and that's why it's just amazing how quickly he went from champ to chump! He was playing poorly LONG before the rest of his Dogs team-mates joined him!

dubby said:
Albert Fulavai. Was supposed to be the NBT, but was a NWB.

Albert Fulavai!....Now THERE'S a name I havent heard in YONKS!

Wasn't he sposed to be some kind of Tongan Royalty?..A Prince or something??

I saw him play in a sevens tournament, and a few 1st grade games - he was built like a sack full of paddle-popsticks glued together with UHU - and defended for all the world like one, too!

Didn't have a clue to do with the ball in his hands either! I remember thinking about him several times "Has this bloke even played footy outside the local park with his mates before??"

He was crrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrap!! :lol:

jamesgould said:
I thought he was mis-cast as a halfback. His kicking game was too inconsistent, when good he was a match-winner (vs Brisbane 2003), but when off he couldn't drive the side round the field to save himself.

Put him at fullback in one of the well-performing clubs though, and he would carve it up, I reckon!

Bingo!

McLinden was NEVER a halfback!...EVER!!

Fullback/Wing/or even Centre (if he put on some beef, and improved his defence) should have been his role. And that's it.

Whoever moved him to halfback - should be tried for the murder of Mark McLinden's confidence & career!

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Bring Back the Spliff said:
I am prepared to go on record stating that Jamie Soward will have Brett Finch's #7 jersey firmly plastered on his back by round 10....at the outside. Probably sooner.

If you can't see the ability this kid possesses - and has already shown in his few forays into First Grade - and how it far outshines Finch's long-stalled talent...then I can only assume you haven't been watching!

But Sticky WILL play favourites, won't he??! ;)
Soward is very close to getting the jersey for Round 1

Green Machine said:
There was kid called Jamie Olejnik, who came into grade with Penrith. He had more natural ability than Brad Fittler. His football career was a waste

I remember Jamie Olejenik well - started at Penrith - Ben Alexander's best mate - he went to pieces (understandably) after Alexander's tragic death - and went for a new start at Manly. Had alllllll sorts of off-field problems, and if I remember rightly - Manly actually sacked him - possibly more than once - and took him back.

But he was never the same.

And whilst he had undoubted ability & potential that sadly, never got realised - there is no way in HELL - that he had more natural ability than Brad Fittler!

None.

I'm SORRY! :lol:

An41

Juniors
Steven Turner, Penriths gun PL fullback, went to melb but kept getting injured played some really good games at the storm but injury took its toll.

anjado

Juniors
Leo Dynevor :the only Knights half back who did well filling in for Johns
then went to wests and was horrible
Michael Brown :Balmain hooker from the early 90's seemed certain to replace Elias easily but it never happened
Jacin Sinclair :Tigers centre think he might of been on the bench for an origin game in 93 but not sure lookedlike a future international never happened
Jamie Oljenik : fantastic talent unfortunetly his personal problems and injuries never allowed him to come close to his potential
Nathan Barnes: Made his first grade debut for Penrith at 17 he lookedlike a future rep player but was still a solid first grader
Shayne Stead : played brilliant in the Penrith games i have on tape in 1989 but his attitude stopped him from doing more apparently
Willie Mortganson : looked really good the few times he played for the broncos went to the cowboys did'nt do much
Ray Mercy :Always seemed to kill Penrith looked a very talented centre from my recollection
Royston Lightning : looked outstanding in 97 for the raiders then didnt do alot
Alf Duncan : scored 14 tries in 17 games in 1998 then you never really heard of him after that
Corey Stewart : Signed from Easts Played about 5 first grade games for Penrith in 1993 looked like a very exciting prospect then just seemed to dissapear
David Seidenkamp : Nearly won the rookie of the year in 1992 had a great season for the Roosters in 92 then disappeared
Paul Johnson : Signed from Brisbane in super League thought he would be a good Stalwart but only played about 8 games
Shannon Nevin : looked great at Manly went to Balmain and did nothing

An41 said:
Steven Turner, Penriths gun PL fullback, went to melb but kept getting injured played some really good games at the storm but injury took its toll.

Ahh yes! He caught my eye in trials @ the beginning of last year!

Scored, like 6 or 7 tries in something like 3 games. Then got injured.

He looked good to me - a real smooth mover! Hope to see more of hi when he recovers from injury - though with Billy Slater - and now Greg Inglis (Who is VERY special!) - I don't think he'll get a real good shot! Certainly not at fullback anyway - he might have to wait for a snap at the wing when Matt Geyer retires.

tiger_nick

Bench
2 Balmain ones from our 1997 Premiership winning Flegg side were Andrew Meads and Troy Wozniak. I have still yet to see a player dominate lower grade games like Meads would. A lock or five eighth he had all the skills and brains. His game in the Grand Final against Easts was unbelievable. If anyone has the Knights/Manly GF on video watch the Flegg highlights to see what I mean. Played a few games in firsts in 1998 and went really well. However he just missed the Wests Tigers Top 25 and was snapped up by the Dragons where he couldnt crack a FG spot. Went to Parra where he spent some years as fringe first grader. I think he is playing in France now. Wozniak reminded me of Ben Kennedy with some of his runs. He was a massive back rower who could run like a center. Unfortunetly he defended like a winger and would often come up with stupid plays at the worst times. I remember Royston Lightning, for Erindale he would dominate school boys. It was seriously like 'Give the ball to Royston so we can score.' I know he played some top grade for Canberra but can't remember him doing anything.

Misty Bee

First Grade
I'd add Braith Anasta to tha list. He was always 'gunna' become the next Freddy. The only way he's achieved that is wearing the 6 jumper at Easts.

Plenty from Brisbane.

Super Sub John Plath. Super at what?

Dane Carlaw, Brad Myers et al.

Chris Walker.

I'll echo the SBW call, and raise you Simms and Creagh from Saints.

At Parra, Dave Woods battled injury all his life, but at least made the train on squad for the '94 kangaroos.Probably our most famous was Michael Patterson, our 1st choice pivot in '81 (kept Kenny in the centres and Ella in the reggies). Went to Souths, made City Firsts, popped both collarbones in a freak tackle, and spent the next decade watching Kenny and Ella dominate the code.

RABK

Referee
Creagh???

Fair dinkum that kid is good. Nothing wrong with him at all. One player i fear a lot when we play the Dragons.

Who's bagging SBW in here?

Geez that's harsh! The kid's still only 20 - And when he'as been on the field - he's been the very ANTITHESIS of 'bum' as the title of this thread puts it.

It's not like his form has been down at any stage, or as if his career is even close to over. Has represented his nation with distinction - even been 'best on field' for his country!

Worst thing I could possibly ever call him is :injury-prone"

Ahhh you're a hard lot, aren't ya?? :lol:

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Mr Saab said:
yes, but saying mclinden should have played for australia if he was consistent is a little over the top.
It would be like me saying K Hunt should have been fullback for QLD the past 2 yrs.

No idea.

McLinden could have been an international, easy. On his day he was f**king brilliant, you should know that after the way he took the Broncos apart in 2004. He just wasn't consistent, but still offered alot at first grade level anyway. Don't know why the Raiders got rid of him.

He's absolutely killing it in Super League playing fullback and moving into the halves if there is injury. Captain of the Harlequins and if he wasn't so injury prone, he'd be making the dream team each year. But then again, Matt Gafa has been brilliant since joining 'Quins in Super League too..

What about Anthony Mundine??

For the amount of talent (he reckoned) he had - he should have represented Earth 15 or 16 times! Instead - all he managed was to play once off the bench for NSW.

So very disappointing.

You know - I reckon the selectors had it in for him, though!...I reckon they just cold didn't pick him...because he played for St. George! :lol:

Some others that have occurred to me on a more serious note though as never everhaving fulfilled their potential - or lived up to the hype surrounding them...or both:

Duncan McRae - another NBT!...But Fffffft - fizzled out like a wet bunger! Played briefly for the NSW Waratahs a few years back, I seem to remember - but that's no great achievement for any average NRL footballer!

Gene Ngamu.

'Nitro' Hitro Okesene.

Jason Martin.

Matthew Rodwell.

Tim Horan.

Ciriaco Mescia (He was talked up to be the BEST hooker EVER at one stage, just about!)...I remember being in Batlow (his home town) around that time, and deadset - if he'd have walked up to the Mayor of Batlow, and said "Gimme your robes - I'm mayor now!" he'd have got them - he was THAt popular! About 2 years after that he totally disappeared - as if off the face of the earth...I noticed he recently resurfaced somewhere - possibly in a coaching role somewhere - I forget where now.

The McGuinnesesesses - Ken & Kevin.

Scott Wilson - in full flight, this bloke was AWESOME! A bit of a turnstile in defence - but with the ball in hand - this guy just oooozed natural talent! After spells at Souths & Norths - He came to Belmore & was actually the Bulldogs club player of the year in 1993!...Played a fair bit in 94 - including the Grand Final. Then just 'disappeared' - before further stints at Perth...the Crushers (I think...or was it the Seagulls or Cowboys?) and - possibly 1 or 2 other places I forget. As a young fullback at the time - I used to absolutely love watching Scotty Wilson play! another with a bagful of off-field 'issues' he never recovered from.