What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Second Melbourne? Where would it be based and how would it impact the Storm?

The Daddy2

Juniors
Maybe it's a chess move to counter the News Ltd owned Storm but was reading this article where it basically stated that having a 2nd Melbourne team was one of the stated aims of the commission movig forward.

How would this work, how will it impact the storm and will it add value to the NRL?

WireMan

Bench
They would make a big loss.

Add nothing to the comp.

Have no Juniors from Vic.

Have no additional supporters.

(Unless there is an untapped market of NRL fans in Victoria who are just waiting for the right team to come along, which i think is unlikely.)

I'm sure there will be an argument in a min to say Cronulla could relocate there though...

It would be a bold move. Hard to justify it though. If someone was to show evidence that it could improve the TV deal and other revenue streams like sponsorship to the point where it would outweigh the costs of running another Melbourne club it might make a good argument. But considering the Storm can't balance its books (plural ;) and rely on handouts it would take some pretty compelling evidence to bring in another club that would, no doubt, rely on similar funding. And even if it was proved that it was a worthwhile move, it would still have to prove it would be a better move than the other options avaialble.

bartman

Immortal
Yeah, just 'cose AFL are bankrupting themselves to get a second team up in a minority territory, doesn't mean that rugby league should worry about following suit.

Perth, Adelaide and maybe even Wellington surely have to be priorities in terms of new revenue streams before a second Melbourne team gets out of the blocks?

Loudstrat

Coach
Is this april fools day? What happened to March?

If that is the first thought the IC has then we may as well just give up.

gypsy

Bench
Ridiculous idea. Until Melbourne can be independent and stop leaching from the QLD/NZ talent pool, how could they possibly sustain a second team.

billy2

Juniors
It makes great sense.
Play out of the same stadium and cut costs for both teams.
Gives the media and fans down there home games every week.
Local derbies twice a year.

The big money for League comes from TV revenues.
Crowds and merchandise are small beer.
The fact that big games of League like SOO and tests get 300k viewers in Melbourne means we can shove another side in and the TV deal will increase to cover it.

eozsmiles

Bench
Maybe around the year 2050. Just after we get a second team on Saturn. And maybe a third in China.

bobbis

Juniors
2nd Melbourne team before Brisbane? Perth and Adelaide would both obviously contribute far more new fans. Central coast, sunshine coast and Wellington are also more viable.30 years at best, no point mimicking the afl

Wooden Spoonar

Juniors
No need for another Melbourne team at all IMO.

W.A should be first in line for a team for the main reason being time difference and the ability to show 2 live games on a Friday night.

I also think that before another team in Melbourne is looked at that a team in Tasmania could be looked at sometime down the track. I happen to know that there is support down there for rugby league but you have to wait until 1 am to watch the Friday night games due to the AFL being shown first. The main concern i would have would be the population numbers but i think the NRL should take some trial games down there first just to introduce live games to them and go from there.

Goddy

Juniors
This would be taken no other way but as a direct response to GWS. A second Melbourne team would be a complete and utter waste and a failure.