What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tough guy with a heart of gold

maccattack

Juniors
A nice gesture alright but how about this line - What makes Hannant's gesture so special is that Bianca has Down syndrome.

WTF? A bit condescending.
______

There are plenty of these types of stories in Rugby League. Didnt some paper publish a list of over 50 this year?

I hesitate to say "well done" to Ben Hannant, because that might suggest he is doing it out of pity or something. It appears they have a genuine friendship and that is the motivation.

bartman

Immortal
Journos are always condescending about disability... that's why I was keen to see the link to see which dribbler wrote this stuff.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great to hear the good work that goes on bit yeh it's a bit 1980's in the way it is written. Mind you looking at the general journalistic talent these days I'm not surprised. All the same I'd rather read this than stories about 5hitting in the hallway! I bet there are hundreds of occasions like this with players using their fame and position to brighten someones day or help them through a tough spot. Shame we don;t hear more of them.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
ben is a tool, i use to have respect for him until he acted like an utter twat after Parra smashed them in the major semi.

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
I expected a few morons to raid the thread. Hopefully that's over with now.

Sorry about the link. Dean Ritchie was the journo. Bah.

no name

Coach
This is a good story.
It doesnt change the fact he is a big headed nob who thinks he's above the law.
I've seen him in action.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I always find the contrast fascinating - seeing props (who, imo, play the hardest, toughest position of the field) being so gentle and humane off the field...

Love it, though. Good on you, Ben. More of it, please.

dannyboy

Juniors
So the press writes bad news stories about players and you get whingers.
The press writes good news stories about players and low and behold, out come the whingers.
Some of you lot lead miserable existences.

Good on you Ben.

Johns Magic

Referee
A nice gesture alright but how about this line - What makes Hannant's gesture so special is that Bianca has Down syndrome.

WTF? A bit condescending.

Have you ever had to look after someone with a mental disability before you PC idiot?

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Wow, there are so many f**kwits on here. Gladly I think the good outweighs the bad, just like in the Rugby League world. We need more of these good hearted stories yet there are always fools who come in trying to be negative.

Have you ever had to look after someone with a mental disability before you PC idiot?

Agree....To someone with a disability ,a gesture like this ,can mean so much to them.
She will probably remember & talk about it till the day she dies.

Can't believe that someone is doing something for someone who will probably never enjoy the same lifestyle as most of us,& cretins on here find fault with it.

innsaneink

Referee
LOL.....the girls dad rang talkinsport on Wednesday evening telling them about what hannant was doing....good on him.

Good news story and its deleted...good one dribblo

Bulldogs_4_Life

Juniors
Ah, why was the post deleted? I guess because I forgot to include a link? BTW, I can't receive PM's for some reason so that's useless.

Here is the article again. And just to make sure..

SOURCE: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-a-heart-of-gold/story-e6freuy9-1225806772971

IN A year besieged by scandal, an unlikely friendship between a rugby league front-rower and a young disabled girl could help erase 10 months of off-field hell.

Bulldogs prop Ben Hannant has shown himself to be the game's best bloke by cutting short a Queensland holiday with his young family to take Bianca Akkery, 18, to her school formal. What makes Hannant's gesture so special is that Bianca has Down syndrome.

A modest Hannant didn't want this story told - but rugby league fans deserve a feel-good story. Bianca's parents Nora and Dominic are Bulldogs season ticketholders and after every home game Hannant makes sure he meets Bianca for a chat.

Bianca has just finished at Mater Dei, a special needs school near Camden, and will graduate next week. Her formal is next Friday at Camden Lakeside Golf Course - but she didn't have date. Until Hannant stepped in.

"Bianca just loves Ben," Nora said last night. "When she sees Ben at games she runs to him. At the club's fan day, she had her head resting on his shoulder. Bianca calls him 'My Benny'."

Bianca has bought a purple dress to wear - especially for Hannant. "I showed her a few dresses but she wasn't interested until we saw a purple dress," Nora said.

"She wanted that one and said: 'Ben will like that dress.' It was because Ben wore a purple bow tie to the Dally M awards. We taped it and she watches it all the time.

"I was talking to Ben about Bianca's life after school and Ben asked whether he could take her to the formal. I wasn't thinking about the formal but Ben said it was something he really wanted to do - he is a lovely man."

Bianca has two loves in her life, saying: "I love Ben Hannant and love the Bulldogs."
Hannant, who has just returned from Australia's successful Kangaroo tour, is holidaying in Brisbane but will return home Friday morning and then stay on to resume Bulldogs training.

"She's my No. 1 fan. She is a great supporter and I always try to catch up with her after a game," Hannant said. "As soon as I finished my commitments in England I made contact with Bianca and confirmed I would be there at the formal."

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg yesterday spoke glowingly of Hannant. "He is not only a quality footballer but also a quality bloke," he said.