What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tribal tragedy

t-ba

Post Whore
I have great memories of NS Oval, but frankly, it was past it and should never host top flight football again. I think I must have had such good memories of it because I was too busy climbing the tree, sitting inside the fence and running around the ground to notice that there are about 10 spots in the entire ground where you can get a decent view of the game.

Suburban venues are all good and well, but they need to be upgraded to attract new blood. People are more precious these days than they were 20 years ago, and we need to recognise that. I'll sit on a muddy hill and not give a sh*t as long as the footy is going, but most people don't want to get hypothermia on a day out.

t-ba

Post Whore
Aint that the truth, why, theres even one right here on this very page....#36....dont have to look far eh?

How is a Bears orphan a bandwagoner? God Forbid they pick up a different side to follow in the top flight.

Parra

Referee
Most people watch their footy on the tele. That is why some of the clubs were duped into selling the whole game to a television station.

The clubs might as well cater for the fans who do want to turn up, rather than poaching the tv audience that is already there every week.

innsaneink

Referee
How is a Bears orphan a bandwagoner? God Forbid they pick up a different side to follow in the top flight.
I think Mightybears can answer that one for you.
Norths & easts have nothing whatsoever to do with each other

mark123

Juniors
Reconfiguring ANZ stadium would cost heaps and sydney needs an 80,000 seater. Its just too bad its so far away from a lot of people, but not all, because sydney is so big. And a transport system that works is a while away.

To what we can do, well they can build a new 50,000 seater based on the new lang park in sydney. And put it right next door to a train station (talking no more than a 200 meter walk.

Thats what they can do. People need to get behind that.

I think sydney needs 4 main stadiums for a city of its size, but at the least you need 3. You can't just stop at making homebush better to get to or more spectator friendly, or cheaper tickets. Thing with homebush to is that there is nothing to do after hours, unlike at Suncorp where you head into town for a night out if you like or go catch a bite to eat, at homebush there's nothing...drab, so keep homebush ONLY for the big games. There is nothing worse than travelling for hours to get to a stadium, watch an 80 minute game, then be left stranded with nothing to do, not even able to make a night out of it....this deters a huge amount of people, did the nrl know that? Do teams know that? More and more people want to make a night of it these days.

Besides that we know all the common ones; but there literally are 100's of things that people look for.

To get sydney right:

Draw a circle around the centre or heart of sydney on a map...its about an inch wide. A second area will be included, that being the CBD itself. This is ofcourse where the SFS is, and this together with the circles perimeter is where stadiums need to roughly be placed....we want it as central as possible to the population. But in the west, we may have two stadiums, but transversely opposed (at opposite ends of that perimeter).

1. Use the SFS again, but upgrade the transport facilities there. Include train fair, etc, in admission price for all stadiums.

2. Upgrade Parramatta stadium. Guess what. Teams other than Parramatta may need to play at Parramatta if thats a model that ends up working. It will be a 35-40,000 all seater.

3. Build a brand spanking new stadium south of Parramatta, somewhere around bulldogs territory or in between, whatever sussed-out location works. Base it off Suncorp Stadium and make it around 50,000 seats. Have another Oasis (that works out) project if that gets it off the ground; and I am sure business would be interested anyway: this is because this stadium is going to be THE BEST league stadium in the country, better than S/corp stadium because it may be slightly bigger. Time the building of the stadium to match the end of a few teams Homebush contracts and get them on board to help viability. THIS STADIUM IS GOING TO BE A SINGLE PURPOSE RUGBY LEAGUE STADIUM. No doubt other rectangle-field sports would use it perhaps.

4. Use Homebush for the huge matchups like origin and GF.

There you have it....with proper public transport to each ground, trains, buses, etc, and public transport included in ticket prices (help nrl) and decent grounds, and shock horror decent cheaper prices sydney will have a chance of building a supporter-attending culture.

Once that happens, I think League is in for huge potential in sydney. Going to these 4 stadiums is going to kick the stuffing out of going to brooky, etc.

If sharks chose, they may continue to use shark park, but should be made to switch all hilled areas to all seaters....strongly preferably to have said stands integrated with the other two main stands.

Minimise stadia used, maximise their facilities, focus support to going to certain areas, make it easy as possible to go.

ledzep

Bench
Aint that the truth, why, theres even one right here on this very page....#36....dont have to look far eh?
What's your f**king problem?
Pardon a 13 year old kid for wanting to support a team in the top flight, not to mention one that I have perfectly justifiable reasons for supporting in the first place.

Dave Q

Coach
I was born and raised in Sharks country, but I was tantalized by the big city lights and ended up a Souths fan.

According to Souths, most of our fans live out west these days anyway. Changes in demographics.

Theres good arguments for both models and its up to the clubs to decide where they want to play. I think its appropriate for the clubs themselves to decide and nobody else.

For mine, I much prefer ANZ to SFS or even dear old Redfern.

But I also like visiting CUA (Panthers) and the atmosphere it generates.

fatshark

Bench
I reckon St George are making a big mistake moving games away from Kogarah.The team is now totally removed from the Kogarah area. Some St george junior sides play in the Cronulla area, they have to against Shire sides. These kids must be feeling a bit dillusioned. Its only across the bridge, and you know who the shire team is straight away. You can see the ground, see the marketing, see the players training andwalking around.
Who would the kid want to play for?

eels_fan_01

Bench
I don't want to lose it completely but you can see what the NRL were/are trying to do, they want to make clubs a brand so people from out of the area are aware that you can support them outside of their home town.

I don't mind going to ANZ stadium because its comfortable and their is alot of room and i don't mind going to a suburban ground for the atmosphere, cant people in rugby league appreciate two different things for once.

flamin

Juniors
Reconfiguring ANZ stadium would cost heaps and sydney needs an 80,000 seater. Its just too bad its so far away from a lot of people, but not all, because sydney is so big. And a transport system that works is a while away.

Minimise stadia used, maximise their facilities, focus support to going to certain areas, make it easy as possible to go.

What you have proposed sounds great, but I just don't see it happening. Realistically all that would take billions of dollars.

Surely a much cheaper option for the short-medium term would be convinving the powers that be to reconfigure ANZ stadium. Get rid of the very top seats. Make the field lower, creating a lower level so fans are closer to the action and to compensate for the lost top seating so the capacity still remains at 80000 (or increases). And make it rectangular.

mark123

Juniors
AFL stops that happening

Sanity and current engeneering feats make it impossible.

I think you will find that ANZ remains as it is.

About the cost to the stuff I propose: well sydney is a city that needs billions spent on infrastructure anyway.....roads, trains, train lines, etc.

Brisbane is another city, but its no where near as bad as sydney.

As for stadia, Suncorp stadium cost under 300 million to build, i propose you build one more stadium as such in sydney. thats 300 million, not billions like you said.

Also, who in their right mind think homebush is a great stadium? Its got only one thing out of 10 that would make it close to being considered one of the worlds best...and thats capacity....it may be one of the best athletics stadiums in the world (with its track removed) but thats it.

Its still an atheltics stadium - in the middle of no where.

Thats the prob....there is no easy or cheap way out sydney.

Or you can take that money, and pick a few suburban grounds and re-do them, but that leaves you with transport to cost money....

it will cost money.

building the stadium might get private investors interested or might get an oasis type precinct somewhere, and that would be great.

Green Machine

First Grade
Rebecca Wilson is an idiot. I wonder if she knows that Shark Park and Penrith Stadium have just been redeveloped. I wonder if she realises Kogarah is currently being redeveloped and Campbelltown Stadium is about to get an upgrade. I wonder if she realises that the Eels have signed a new agreement at Parramatta Stadium.
I’m looking forward to the new Western Sydney AFL Juggernaut that will play at ANZ Stadium. I reckon the crowd figures for the new Western Sydney Shirtlifters will rival the Swans crowds from the early 90’s,