What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A tribal tragedy

0neye

Belmore was a good ground they just needed to build a new grand stand on the hill.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
:lol:, I just wrote about this in my last F7s article

Can somebody please tell me why the Canterbury Bulldogs, St George Illawarra Dragons, South Sydney Rabbitohs and the Wests Tigers all need to play out of an 80,000 seater stadium when they struggle to attract 20,000 fans to a regular season game.

Playing at large stadiums in American Football is good because their games actually sell out, ours don’t.

I love seeing a full ANZ Stadium on the television when I’m watching the Grand Final or a State of Origin match but regular season matches don’t sell out, so what is the reason for playing in a stadium where there is no atmosphere and no tradition?

Give me a full house at Kogarah Oval, Campbelltown Stadium, Belmore Sports Ground, Leichhardt Oval or Redfern Oval any day of the week!

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?p=4157706#post4157706

All this b**ch did was expand my article ffs.

0neye

I miss Terry Lamb Hill
tltop.jpg

ledzep

Bench
Well, as a rooster fan thats not surprising, I doubt youre old enough to know the real home ground experience.
Well, despite only being 19, I've had the privelege of attending such wold-class sporting venues as Brookvale Oval, WIN Stadium, Leichhardt Oval, Kogarah Oval, Henson Park and North Sydney Oval.
I've also been to modern stadia like Lang Park, the SFS and ANZ Stadium, and I sure as hell know where I prefer going.

Like everyone else, I'd rather not have to go to ANZ Stadium and sit amongst a sea of empty seats, but the problem is that the suburban grounds we have simply aren't up to scratch for professional sport.

We question how crowds can be increased... Why is a family going to spend $65 minimum to stand on a hill at Brookvale amonst drunken idiots when they can pay that much to get Foxtel and watch all the football they want in comfort?

Dogs Of War

Coach
I miss Terry Lamb Hill
tltop.jpg

It wasn't Terry Lamb hill, it was half a hill sectioned off so families could come to the ground and feel safe from the idiots on the other side of the fence. I think from memory it was called the Terry Lamb Family area. Either way, some things are best left in the past, and Belmore is defiantly one of them.

Souths tried to develop Redfern and the council would only allow us a training facility. TBH I think the State and local Governments in NSW have a lot to answer for. It is them that have made the clubs do what they have had to do. We need:
1. A 25,000 seat stadium at Redfern
2. A Railway station close to the SFS
3. An Upgrade to Brookvale, Kogarah, Belmore and Leichardt.
4. An upgrade to Parra stadium in about 5 - 10 years time.

Would not be a massive investment for the govt. but it would make a hell of a difference to crowd numbers in the NRL. Sadly I can't see most of that stuff ever happening as the potential white elephant that is Homebush, needs all the propping up it can get.

ledzep

Bench
In my opinion, our goal should be to have all teams playing in stadiums like Skilled Park within the next 15 years

LeagueXIII

First Grade
What we need is a plan, direction and some f****n leadership.

EVERY club, with the help of the NRL (afterall the league is there to nurture and grow the game not rip it off), needs to work towards having a 20-25,000 modern stadium this will have flow on effects in getting the "feel" back into the game...once this is achieved then we can play big games at big stadiums as people will have that tribalism back.

At the moment we are losing it and the game is going 'flat'.

flamin

Juniors
What we need is a genuine 1st class stadium for rugby league in the West. Problem is, where to put it and the hundreds of millions to build it. Obviously then I think the best option from the NRL's point of view is to reconfigure ANZ (again) and make it a proper rectangular stadium.

On Wilson's article, she's kidding herself if she thinks a Western Sydney team is going to be getting 50000 crowds at ANZ every 2nd week.

innsaneink

Referee
Well, despite only being 19, I've had the privelege of attending such wold-class sporting venues as Brookvale Oval, WIN Stadium, Leichhardt Oval, Kogarah Oval, Henson Park and North Sydney Oval.
I've also been to modern stadia like Lang Park, the SFS and ANZ Stadium, and I sure as hell know where I prefer going.

Like everyone else, I'd rather not have to go to ANZ Stadium and sit amongst a sea of empty seats, but the problem is that the suburban grounds we have simply aren't up to scratch for professional sport.

We question how crowds can be increased... Why is a family going to spend $65 minimum to stand on a hill at Brookvale amonst drunken idiots when they can pay that much to get Foxtel and watch all the football they want in comfort?

Yeh thought so, though you still dont get it.
Its one thing visiting those grounds....

I doubt youre old enough to know the real home ground experience.

...thanks for proving my point.

Souths tried to develop Redfern and the council would only allow us a training facility. TBH I think the State and local Governments in NSW have a lot to answer for. It is them that have made the clubs do what they have had to do. We need:
1. A 25,000 seat stadium at Redfern
2. A Railway station close to the SFS
3. An Upgrade to Brookvale, Kogarah, Belmore and Leichardt.
4. An upgrade to Parra stadium in about 5 - 10 years time.

Would not be a massive investment for the govt. but it would make a hell of a difference to crowd numbers in the NRL. Sadly I can't see most of that stuff ever happening as the potential white elephant that is Homebush, needs all the propping up it can get.

DKR
25,000 seater at Redfern sounds nice but I guess the issue you would have is parking. Homes and business butt right up against the ground there and the traffic would be an problem as well. Let's not forget that Clover (androtop hag) Moore doesn't like footy as well.

I think Parra should get an upgrade soon as there's talk of a second A League team coming out west. If the two clubs got together you'd think the council would get behind a serious upgrade there.

mightybears

Bench
We often get referred to as band wagon supporters but seems to me if some are concerned by the decor of a ground, well surely that's worse. I love watching the Jets at Henson, standing at can corner at Brookie or sitting on the hill at Leichardt.
This thread is lost on some people due to anti Wilsonism, to be fair is deserved. She does suck and they always push for mergers, axings or relocations. Tribalism comes from tradition, history as well as geography. Something that somefans don't get or care.

Agree 100%

Melbourne has bigger crowds and greater costs-ground sharing is part of their culture, the City has more than half the comp but only 2 grounds now.

My context, i'm old enough to have seen matches at henson, redfern, lidcombe, bear park obviously, the old sydney sports ground, a grand final at the scg [the last], and the first gf at the sfs [yeah i missed 89!], suncorp pre and post last development, the old anz, the new anz-i've not seen footy in melbourne, townsville, auckland or canberra [an oversite]

Whether it be the old ANZ in Brisbane [most souless ground hands down] or the olympic stadium in sydney [new ANZ] when its got 20,000, its nothing compared to a surburban ground packed with the same number-even if getting away from say leichhardt is a pain after.

St George Illawarra and South Sydney have entered into a venture with the former Olympic Stadium that will see them play most of their home games at a venue that is around 50km from where most of their fans live.
Exaggeration Rebecca, 50k’s from most of their fans

Yesterday's match featured two teams from the south and east of the city playing in the heart of Sydney's west
Do you get out beyond Pyrmont Rebecca, Sydney ends at Granville does it?

St George, Wests Tigers, South Sydney and the Canterbury Bulldogs have all given up home ground advantages because club bosses lacked the vision to fix their home grounds rather than make the move.
Cash more than vision Rebecca, are you going to fund all these grounds, come on get your purse out.

They no longer actually have games on familiar turf in front of a big home crowd.
Didn’t know the remaining games at Campbelltown and Leichhardt have been cancelled Rebecca

By the time the AFL juggernaut lands another team in Sydney
You are a comedian Rebecca, always good for a laugh :lol:

Its good that Rebecca feeds readers only the truth in her articles :sarcasm:

ledzep

Bench
Yeh thought so, though you still dont get it.
Its one thing visiting those grounds....

...thanks for proving my point.
I spent the first 13 years of my life going to watch the Bears at North Sydney Oval. Do I satisfy your criteria now?

greg

Juniors
:)
Agree 100%

Melbourne has bigger crowds and greater costs-ground sharing is part of their culture, the City has more than half the comp but only 2 grounds now.

My context, i'm old enough to have seen matches at henson, redfern, lidcombe, bear park obviously, the old sydney sports ground, a grand final at the scg [the last], and the first gf at the sfs [yeah i missed 89!], suncorp pre and post last development, the old anz, the new anz-i've not seen footy in melbourne, townsville, auckland or canberra [an oversite]

Whether it be the old ANZ in Brisbane [most souless ground hands down] or the olympic stadium in sydney [new ANZ] when its got 20,000, its nothing compared to a surburban ground packed with the same number-even if getting away from say leichhardt is a pain after.

Your spot on Mighty Bears. Unfortunately certain fans love to repeatedly push the big fancy stadium barrow. I also am old enough to have had experienced the grounds you mentioned. Packed suburban grounds always were and always will be a great experience. North Sydney was actually one of my favourites. Every ground should have a big tree up one end for the kids to climb.

Hanscholo

Bench
Im struggling to understand what that last paragraph is supposed to mean. If it is what i think was meant then i am rofl at it. Its so funny that Melbourne think that they are more passionate about football than sydney. Then they move here and like my brother in law says..."f**k me, its all Rugby up here, you blokes are obsessed with it."

Adman

Juniors
If they just made the entry tickets damn cheaper... it would encourage more people to go. I believe going to the footy should be a activity you can just get up and go, with the cash in your wallet.... not have to save the entire week just to take you and a family along. I think it's like 35 bucks for a seat and shark park (not too sure but I know it's expensive), it should be just first in, first served.

Adults should be no more than 20 bucks concessions 15 and kids under 10 should just damn well get in for free, they love running round the damn stadium with their friends as opposed to watching the game.

Or something along those lines.

and let's not get talking bout the food prices... $4.50 for a pepsi anyone?

mightybears

Bench
I spent the first 13 years of my life going to watch the Bears at North Sydney Oval. Do I satisfy your criteria now?

i knew your location must have meaning,
come back ledzep, norths still offer a whole lotta love!
the song remains the same
surely you are just dazed and confused re easts

i'll stop now :D

Latest posts